Adjusting Windshield Washer Direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Adjusting Windshield Washer Direction

Hi All,

With all the snow and slush these days, I am noticing something annoying with the windshield washer system. The direction of the sprayer is too low. When I wash, particularly when on the highway, the spray never gets above the halfway point on the windshield so I end up with a 4" dirty spot at the top of my field of view. I was at the dealer today for an oil change and they said the nozzle could not be adjusted. Hasd anyone here found a trick?

Cheers,

Roch

Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Adjusting Windshield Washer Direction & BLADES

Nope. While not exactly what you describe, I find mine shoot too high actually, and the wipers "wipe" before the fluid has time to flow down by gravity and get the bottom half. If only I could delay the wipers, I'd be fine!

ALSO...

I CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENTS FOR THE REAR WIPER!!!
The rear wiper is only 10" and every store and every manufacturer so far ( I've checked 5 ) only goes down to 11". So I bought an 11" thinking it would be "close enough" and work... well, it doesn't. Even the mounting clip seems to be something Ford specific. WHAT A PAIN!

Did you know the front has one 20" blade and one 18" blade?
So don't buy a 2 pack when it comes time to replace those!

-John

Old 03-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
ALSO...

I CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENTS FOR THE REAR WIPER!!!
The rear wiper is only 10" and every store and every manufacturer so far ( I've checked 5 ) only goes down to 11". So I bought an 11" thinking it would be "close enough" and work... well, it doesn't. Even the mounting clip seems to be something Ford specific. WHAT A PAIN!

Did you know the front has one 20" blade and one 18" blade?
So don't buy a 2 pack when it comes time to replace those!

-John
Meijer has them.... They are the Trico Perfect fits or something like that.... no adapter necessary. Napa also carrys them.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Meijer has them.... They are the Trico Perfect fits or something like that.... no adapter necessary. Napa also carrys them.
Actual name is Exact-Fit.

www.tricoproducts.com

Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adjusting Windshield Washer Direction

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Hi All,

With all the snow and slush these days, I am noticing something annoying with the windshield washer system. The direction of the sprayer is too low. When I wash, particularly when on the highway, the spray never gets above the halfway point on the windshield so I end up with a 4" dirty spot at the top of my field of view. I was at the dealer today for an oil change and they said the nozzle could not be adjusted. Hasd anyone here found a trick?

Cheers,

Roch
try washing at a lower speed or parked. airflow contributes to where it hits. also clean the sprayers. wax and grime can fill in the holes of the sprayers. Use a toothpick to clean them.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
try washing at a lower speed or parked. airflow contributes to where it hits. also clean the sprayers. wax and grime can fill in the holes of the sprayers. Use a toothpick to clean them.
I've always used the pointy end of a safety pin, though I haven't had to clean my FEH's wipers. I used to have to do it all the time on my '92 Corolla because the washer fluid would dry and the residue would clog the nozzles/jets.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Thanks all for the replies.

Washing while stopped is a bit better but that is not practical while on a highway. In Montreal after some snow (and salt), you sometimes have to spray every couple of minutes to maintain reasonable visibility. Because of the weak and low shoting, I have to use a lot more fluid to get good visibility.

My old Golf shot a bit high, but I was good at modulating the trigger so it shot lower and on target. I'll look at cleaning the nozzles but since this has been the case since I got the FEH, I'll look into finding adjustable nozzles.

Cheers,

Roch

Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Off topic: When I was a punk teenager I re-routed the windshield washer lines in my mom's Accord so that they sprayed on the tread of the front tires. With a little windshield washer fluid and some smooth asphalt (and some manipulation of the transmission and parking brake) I could put on quite a show.

Look at me now, creeping along in the right lane to save the planet! All growns up...

Old 03-09-2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Brady
Off topic: When I was a punk teenager I re-routed the windshield washer lines in my mom's Accord so that they sprayed on the tread of the front tires.
I have an even better story.

I used to work as a flat-rate mechanic at a Chevy dealership. The mechanic who worked in the stall next to me was a real funny guy, & he & the Service Manager used to pull practical jokes on each other constantly.

The Service Manager had a dealer demo car that he drove, & one day it had a problem & he brought it in for service. As luck would have it, the guy next to me got the car to work on. We where in upstate NY & it was the middle of the Winter.

The next morning, the Service Manager came in steaming mad & was chasing the mechanic all over the shop swearing at him while the mechanic was laughing hysterically. When I asked the mechanic what he had done, he told me he had removed the washer nozzle from the base of the hood & installed it under the dash & carefully aligned it to spray into the drivers lap......

He rerouted the washer hose through the firewall & under the dash to connect to it. Back in those days, when you pushed the washer button the washers automatically gave you 10 shots of fluid & there was no way to shut it off(it was a really stupid setup as it wasted a TON of fluid).

The Service Manager got half way home on a nasty sloppy Winter day & hit the washer button(he was wearing a suit at the time)...........

~John

Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yeah... in High School, me and some buddies would point our washer nozzles out the front grille and squirt each other, or other drivers. Being in S. CA we didn't need the anti-freeze qualities of the blue stuff, so used plain water so it was all environmentally friendly... but still funny!
-John