Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

"They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Default Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

It's real obvious you didn't read my post or the post I was responding to. I was responding to the person with the FEH. And yeah, I think I could easily beat FEH milage with a MT Aveo.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Chill out, dude.

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
I don't have that car anymore. My current car is a Mercedes E320, which gets miserable MPG despite having exceptional CoD. It's an automatic which makes hypermiling nearly impossible. I average about 20MPG. I'm only 6 miles from work though.
Probably the right tool for the right job.

You and others are spinning here, not me. Yeah, let's compare the worst ever published number for one car and compare it to the best numbers of another car.
We do prefer to measure our real-world numbers.

You and some others can sit around here and feel super special about how you think you're now a green master. If you're going to make ridiculous, jaded, one sided arguments for everything, then you just reduce this site to being full of mindless tree huggers.
Actually we have a pretty diverse community and some are environmentally green; some prefer to keep our financial green in our pockets; and some just like comfortable, low noise transportation.

See, you can have the right position on something and still be a closed minded moron. Sure I could move from Nebraska because I disagree with most people's ideology here, and go to Oregon. But I know that even though more people would share my views, they'd still be largely uneducated and unwilling to think just like the rest of the population.
Sounds like someone doesn't play well with others. The only profession where that is an advantage is law.

So go ahead and lie about the fuel economy of the Aveo, and I'm gonna call you out on it. Then compare a presumably much safer Aveo to a crapbox Metro, and I'll call you out on that too.
Sure, we cite the EPA test results, one well known and reproducable set of numbers. As for our own vehicles, we cite our own results. Yet you consistently make unsubstantiated claims about the Chevy Aveo.

Let's just cut the BS. When you make up ridiculous arguments, it makes people think you don't have a leg to stand on.
Hummmm, sounds like we can agee on something. So when are you going to 'cut the BS?'

Bob Wilson

Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 PM

That post wasn't directed towards you either, Dude.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Engineering first

It's real obvious you didn't read my post or the post I was responding to. I was responding to the person with the FEH. And yeah, I think I could easily beat FEH milage with a MT Aveo.
A couple of points:

1) I make it point to quote those I'm responding to. I did trim out some fluff but I doubt if it made a material change in your posting.

2) AHHHHH!! The manual transmission versus the automatic. Use an automatic Aveo vs. automatic FEH or the results are meaningless. Don't forget to add all of the options to the Aveo to match the standard parts on the FEH.

3) The FEH has a towing capability and a good test would be a fully loaded FEH with trailer vs. a fully loaded Aveo with trailer attached.

We use the term, "the right tool for the right job" which means vehicles need to be matched.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

I don't have that car anymore. My current car is a Mercedes E320, which gets miserable MPG despite having exceptional CoD. It's an automatic which makes hypermiling nearly impossible. I average about 20MPG. I'm only 6 miles from work though.
Regardless of which vehicle you have, why don't you put it in the database and discuss it more? It's not how your vehicle stacks up against any other vehicle on the DB here - but the appearance of fabricating the vehicle of your choice at arguement time.

You and others are spinning here, not me. Yeah, let's compare the worst ever published number for one car and compare it to the best numbers of another car.
Capt Obvious, why are you ranting at us about your own twisted comparisons?

You and some others can sit around here and feel super special about how you think you're now a green master. If you're going to make ridiculous, jaded, one sided arguments for everything, then you just reduce this site to being full of mindless tree huggers.

See, you can have the right position on something and still be a closed minded moron. Sure I could move from Nebraska because I disagree with most people's ideology here, and go to Oregon. But I know that even though more people would share my views, they'd still be largely uneducated and unwilling to think just like the rest of the population.
I'm sorry you feel like you have to go around here semi-anomous to only make disruptive posts because you loath what is green or hybrid. I don't feel compeled to annoy a group of people I completely disagree with in person or cyberspace. I don't consider myself God's Gift - just want to associate with people that share some common interests...

So go ahead and lie about the fuel economy of the Aveo, and I'm gonna call you out on it. Then compare a presumably much safer Aveo to a crapbox Metro, and I'll call you out on that too.

Let's just cut the BS. When you make up ridiculous arguments, it makes people think you don't have a leg to stand on.
Hmmm....The pot is calling the kettle black once again. Have you seen someone to be treated for your tendacy blame others for your own statements?

You're shifting your arguments from one subcompact to another to say they are all junk. Get rational, please.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-28-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Engineering first

Chill out my friend,
That post wasn't directed towards you either, Dude.
We have the ability to create and send private messages for one-on-one issues. A public posting invites comments and the best way to narrow the scope of a quarrel is to take it 'offline.' I don't always follow this advice but it works. . . . I'll send you one.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Look, here are the comparisons made in this thread:
Aveo to Prius - ridiculous, as noted in original post.
Aveo to Metro - ridiculous, as noted by me.
Aveo to HAH - "edmunds Aveo MPH" compared to real world HAH.
Aveo to FEH - "edmunds Aveo MPG" compared to hypermiler FEH MPG. Ridiculous, as noted by me.

I'm not the one creating these stupid comparisons. I'm pointing them out. And I never directed any of this to you Bob, because you didn't make the dumb comparisons in the first place.

Again, people can't cherry pick the worst report for one car and compare it to the best for another. That's dumb. You want to compare the Aveo to something, then pick EPA number vs EPA, or real world vs real world.

I should have quoted the people I was disagreeing with. But I find it disturbing how many people reading can feel like they're being attacked any time something that isn't overtly pro-hybrid is mentioned.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

Have you read your last two posts, calling people stupid and self-rightous tree huggers? Is that not an attack? Your arguments are very inconsistent - except you want to argue.

Gotta run now...

Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM

I didn't call anyone a tree hugger. I said that's how this community will be perceived if they use misleading information to argue their points.

I called the comparisons stupid. I stand by that.

I don't loath what is green or hybrid. Not sure where you got that idea. I do loath things that are marketed as green but really aren't, like corn based ethanol. I loath SUVs and people commuting in large pickup trucks.

Oh, and I hate misinformation.

I didn't attack subcompacts, but I did attack the Metro. I stand by that. It's a death trap.

I think you are acting very defensive Delta.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nagorak
I agree about the Lexus hybrids, and also Honda's Accord hybrid. There's no point offering power versions of hybrids. The people who want hybrids are going to be the ones interested in fuel economy. The ones who want crap like power by and large are not going to be concerned with fuel economy. I know this is an over generalization, and might sound contradictory to my previous statement, but I think Honda/Toyota need to be aware of what demographic they are appealing to with hybrids. I know there are some people out there who care about both FE and power, but they should be targetted as a secondary market, not as a primary one. For example, if the V6 accord was an option and there was also a more fuel efficient 4 cylinder version, then that would be more reasonable.
Coming in a little late on this, but I think toyota did exactly that, "target the secondary market" by releasing their Power Hybrids under the Lexus badge. I would consider Lexus to be a "secondary market". I don't think Toyota expects the number GS hybrids to exceed the number of Camry sold anytime soon. If you look at what their Hybrid offering under the Toyota Badge, they are clearly geared more towards the fuel effecient market with the Prius and Camry.

Quick Reply: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands