Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

"They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned
Default Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Thank you for answering my question - you have been bent in this thread to diss subcompacts. It's obvious there is no subcompact that can get great fuel economy and be as safe as a Chevy Blazer, Volvo, etc....yet you argue as if that is a realistic expectation. Every class of vehicle has inheritant shortcomings.

Anyway, stop pretending there is a subcompact that would satisfy you as it's obvious none exist.

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
I don't care if the Insight scored 5/5. It doesn't matter. It's called physics, and you lose. Check the government's vehicle death statics if you don't believe me. I'd have no fear driving a 2001 Chevy Blazer, which had poor impact test results, straight into your featherweight Insight. The Insight is a compromise of personal safety, reportedly comfort, performance, and even pollution in the case of the MT version, in an effort to demonstrate the best fuel economy obtainable.

Yes, the fuel economy is worse in the Aveo vs the Metro because it weighs much more. If I had to guess, I'd also guess that the Aveo is running on larger tires (safety), has much better impact protection (safety), airbags (safety), and better acceleration (safety to an extent). Maybe they could have put a higher top gear in (not sure of gear ratios)... that certainly would have helped my girlfriends Jetta.

GM has a reputation for selling cars way below their MSRP and offering zero percent financing. My guess is that the average Aveo selling price is well below the actual selling price of the Yaris. And even if it isn't, the Aveo is the least of GMs flaws.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 PM

I wasn't the one complaining about the Aveo, or making false claims about its fuel economy. You are stating it has unacceptable fuel economy.

I'm not "dissing" subcompacts. They are far more dangerous in collisions than midsized cars. That's a fact backed up by data collected by the NHTSA. The lighter the car, the more dangerous it is in a collision. If you suggest they cut the weight by 800lbs, then you are suggesting they make it more dangerous. Some people on a budget might prefer to be safer rather than to reduce their fuel bill by 20%. Especially since most of those people are probably not commuting 150 miles per day to their minimum wage job.

Also, show me where I suggested that it is a realistic expectation that a subcompact be as safe as a "Volvo".

"According to the IIHS, in 1995, 98 percent of the people killed in two-vehicle crashes involving passenger cars and big trucks were occupants of the passenger vehicles."

"Of those persons fatally injured in SUV-car collisions, the vast majority, eighty per cent, were car occupants (see NHTSA report, 'Relationships Between Vehicle Size and Fatality Risk')."

Old 07-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Banned

For some strange reason, the vast majority of people I converse with would have clarified their points on something like the Aveo and moved on. Instead, you deny past statements and put words into statements I've made. This has a tendacy to be done by people that never list their car or enter in the GH database. Unfortunately, it's part of your track record to do this...

The thumbnail of what I said is the there is not reason the Aveo should get way worse fuel economy than the Metro, even considering the safety upgrades. Toyota and Honda knows how to make good subcompacts, and can even do it in the 15K range.

Impress us and not argue for it's own sake.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-28-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 AM

The Aveo is not in the $15k range. You don't get the best technology in the cheapest car. And the Metro wasn't efficient because it was a technological marvel... it was a cheap, POS, death trap.

I think the important note is that the original article incorrectly stated that an Aveo gets the same milage as a Prius. That's obviously a flat out fabrication.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

I agree:
The Aveo is not in the $15k range. You don't get the best technology in the cheapest car. And the Metro wasn't efficient because it was a technological marvel... it was a cheap, POS, death trap.

I think the important note is that the original article incorrectly stated that an Aveo gets the same milage as a Prius. That's obviously a flat out fabrication.
In fact, I notice that "CNW Marketing" used to claim the Toyota Scion xB as one of the most energy efficient cars but now it looks like they have switched to a GM product, and an unusually cheap one at that.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-28-2006, 09:40 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Originally Posted by VMA131Marine
The Aveo has an EPA rating of 26/34 and Edmunds testers only managed to average 23 mpg. ... My HAH does better than that. Alot better!
My *FEH* does better than that - & did even before I learned how to really drive it!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM

So, what's your point? It didn't cost less than $10K, did it? In all likelyhood, you'd end up with the same MPG or maybe even better if you tried to hypermile in an Aveo. My basis for that determination is that I could pull off 40MPG on the highway in my 230HP BMW, which would get 30MPG if driven normally on the highway.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Banned

So, what's your point? It didn't cost less than $10K, did it? In all likelyhood, you'd end up with the same MPG or maybe even better if you tried to hypermile in an Aveo. My basis for that determination is that I could pull off 40MPG on the highway in my 230HP BMW, which would get 30MPG if driven normally on the highway.
Why didn't you put the milage on your high-performance Beamer on the Mileage database? It's a lot more credible than if someone seldom mentions their vehicle until an arguement.

...so reading this thread, you are going to diss any new subcompact that costs over 10K, gets under 45mpg, has crash survivability of a Volvo? (something like that) When you find that Holy Grail, please let us know.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:04 AM

I don't have that car anymore. My current car is a Mercedes E320, which gets miserable MPG despite having exceptional CoD. It's an automatic which makes hypermiling nearly impossible. I average about 20MPG. I'm only 6 miles from work though.

You and others are spinning here, not me. Yeah, let's compare the worst ever published number for one car and compare it to the best numbers of another car.

You and some others can sit around here and feel super special about how you think you're now a green master. If you're going to make ridiculous, jaded, one sided arguments for everything, then you just reduce this site to being full of mindless tree huggers.

See, you can have the right position on something and still be a closed minded moron. Sure I could move from Nebraska because I disagree with most people's ideology here, and go to Oregon. But I know that even though more people would share my views, they'd still be largely uneducated and unwilling to think just like the rest of the population.

So go ahead and lie about the fuel economy of the Aveo, and I'm gonna call you out on it. Then compare a presumably much safer Aveo to a crapbox Metro, and I'll call you out on that too.

Let's just cut the BS. When you make up ridiculous arguments, it makes people think you don't have a leg to stand on.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

. . . In all likelyhood, you'd end up with the same MPG or maybe even better if you tried to hypermile in an Aveo. My basis for that determination is that I could pull off 40MPG on the highway in my 230HP BMW, which would get 30MPG if driven normally on the highway.
So you have the manual transmission BMW? Sorry to hear about your MPG problem. I have to exceed 75 mph to get that sort of crappy mileage, 40 MPG. As for 30MPG, it looks like the current NHW20 has to be closer to 90mph. In real life, Your speculations don't work.

In real life, I don't "hypermile' drive. I just follow a modified EPA test protocol in my driving:

CITY - the EPA average speed is 20 mph and my maximum urban speed is 38 mph. I do this by following a shorter, direct route on streets with 35-40 mph posted speed limits but more stops. My block-to-block time has not changed because of the shorter distance.

HIGHWAY - the EPA average speed is 48 mph and my highway speeds are 51-65 mph. This consistently gives better than 50 MPG versus the EPA rating of 45 MPG

Feel free to rent and achieve my MPG with a Chevy Aveo automatic. Knowing the EPA test methodology, I doubt a Chevy Aveo automatic will achieve more than 10% above the published EPA values. As pointed out, I'm already achieving better than EPA combined mileage for my NHW11 03 Prius:

For a minute there, I thought you'd actually joined the real world with that factual comment about the Chevy Aveo. Too bad.

Bob Wiilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-29-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands