Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

"They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Originally Posted by lakedude
Bingo! Public bickering is not allowed. If your disscussion is one-on-one and not for everyone's ears, use Private Messaging. This thread seems to have cooled off, if it flares back up again this thread will be closed and additional measures may be taken.

Our site has an "ignore" feature that can be used for members that get under your skin. Please use "ignore" if you find you just can not deal with another member in a calm manner.

Most of my posts on this site are just intended to be taken as if any member posted them and are only my opinion to be taken with a grain of salt if you wish. This warning is official. Knock it off, and keep it off. Do not start this bickering up again on some other thread. Go private or use "ignore".
How does the "ignore" work, if I selected to ignore lakedude would I just never even see your posts? If someone else quoted you I would assume I'd see that right? Does Ignore prevent me from receiving a PM from you?

Sorry if this is way off topic but I can't find "ignore" explained anywhere?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Of course, the Aevo is so inexpensive that GM could add BAS to it and the car would still be affordable to the end user. I'd guess that BAS in a car that small would probably add more than 4-5 MPG also, since the battery and motor would be pushing a significantly smaller mass compared to the VUE.
My thinking is use the Silverado BAS connected to one or both rear wheels. For a home-grown version, a retractable 5th wheel like this modified Insight:

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-29-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by worthywads
Whoa tiger, all pickups aren't the same?

I'd buy the right hybrid pickup last year if one was made. I use and need my pickup for work and around the house all the time. Picked up three 55 gallon drums of glycol yesterday and averaged 33.4mpg for the day.

I agree that the lifted monster truckish vehicles are a safety hazzard but don't group us all together.

All full sized trucks are a safety hazard for other drivers on the road. In many cases for many people, they are a requirement and that's just life. But lately I perceive a trend where people are buying them because they think they look tough. They are all over the place here, and most of them aren't being used for work. The fact that GM and Ford give these things away has made the problem a lot worse.

They're heavy, hard to see around, and don't maneuver as well as most cars. One could argue that even a Civic isn't sensible transportation for the purpose of one person commuting, but there really isn't much of an alternative in the USA. But a 6000lb+ vehicle is just putting your own ego and personal safety above everyone elses, and it's wrong.

I don't own any truck-like vehicle. On the infrequent occasion that I need a bigger vehicle, I'll borrow or rent. That happened once last year, and not at all the year before.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
...I haven't personally heard of anyone getting hurt or killed in an Insight, but have heard plenty of injuries/deaths in larger vehicles.
Is that because the Insight is safe or because they are so rare (or both)?

I saw multiple ads in the newspaper this morning for Aveos for as low as $7488. I'm sure that is a stripped down model, but that is still CHEAP!!!

Old 07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Aveo AT better mpg than Aveo MT

CR's numbers show the AT Aveo gets slightly better mpg than the MT
City 19 vs 19
Hy 38- vs 36
This usually means that the MT is geared shorter to get better acceleration.In this case 11.7 vs 11.2 0-60.
The MT Civic is apparently geared the same way also
Civic AT HY=43 mpg
Civic MT HY=40 mpg
Cr's city numbers for the AT Civic are a bit puzzling=18mpg.The earlier model got 22mpg in CR's city loop?The HY number 43 mpg is better than the older models 40 mpg. If it hadn't gotten such outstanding hy mpg I would have been tempted to write it off as a dud.CR buys their cars; they don't get hand selected ringers like the moto mags, so they might occasionally get a dud.This one was no dud.
Worthywads-what sort of pickup do you have? I'm very familiar with the 1/2 ton V-8s, and none of them could approach the Aveo's mpg.Not wanting to pick a fight, just curious. The newest V-6's-Nissan,Toyota have all been installed in trucks much bigger/heavier than the old compact trucks.The lightest 4 cyl Tacoma is probably at least 3300 lbs.Earlier ones were closer to 2600 lbs.My 1994 MT Toyota truck(standard cab~2700 lbs) would get 24 mpg in heavy city driving(29 hy)-my 1998 Tacoma 4 cyl AT(2800 lbs) would get 20mpg(24 hy at 70+mph) same conditions.
One forum member gets 37 mpg with a Ranger-but he is a long, long, long,long way from an average driver.An average driver might get 20 mpg with a Ranger 4 CYL MT.
Mr. Kite-$7880-ARE THESE NEW AVEOS??? Hey, that is my kind of price? Where are you? All new vehicles around here-NO- are overpriced because of all the flooded vehicles that have to be replaced. It has been a dealers paradise post flood!
In respect to big vehicles- I'm thinking of selling the Pilot and getting something, bigger, cheaper, less FE for a get out of town vehicle and a go to Home Depot vehicle.On the bright side gas prices have driven down the cost of 1999 Suburbans(as little as $8000 for one with (75,000-80000 miles). They are cheap enough and versatile enough to act as a pickup(4x8 building material fits) and a evacuation vehicle-pile in all the dogs,cats, 3 adults, loads of possessions.Suburbans are pretty reliable in respect to "leaving you on the side of the road reliability." In fact, almost all vehicles made in the last 10 years are adequate in that respect( maybe even Dodge minivans and their iffy transmissions). Thanks.Charlie
PS-Mr Kite-Serious about the $7995 Aveos!Where??

Old 07-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aveo AT better mpg than Aveo MT

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Worthywads-what sort of pickup do you have? I'm very familiar with the 1/2 ton V-8s, and none of them could approach the Aveo's mpg.Not wanting to pick a fight, just curious. The newest V-6's-Nissan,Toyota have all been installed in trucks much bigger/heavier than the old compact trucks.The lightest 4 cyl Tacoma is probably at least 3300 lbs.Earlier ones were closer to 2600 lbs.My 1994 MT Toyota truck(standard cab~2700 lbs) would get 24 mpg in heavy city driving(29 hy)-my 1998 Tacoma 4 cyl AT(2800 lbs) would get 20mpg(24 hy at 70+mph) same conditions.
One forum member gets 37 mpg with a Ranger-but he is a long, long, long,long way from an average driver.An average driver might get 20 mpg with a Ranger 4 CYL MT.
See my signature, it's an Access cab, supposed to weight 3425# a regualr cab weighs 3140#. My claim of beating an Aveo was my cumulative 27.7mpg compared to the Edmunds 23mpg being used as typical on this post. My individual tank best has been 31.3 but my current tank should be 32+.

Driving to Red Rocks to see Ween/Flaming Lips this afternoon, I should easily get 34+ with mostly 55.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

phoebeisis,
I'm in the Denver area. There was an ad for a 2006 Aveo at Stevinson Chevrolet for $7,488 (MSRP was $9,890).
http://www.stevinsonchevrolet.com/en_US/

Another ad from Elway Chevrolet had the 2006 Aveo for $7,977 (MSRP was also $9,890)
http://www.autonation.com/dealers/elway/elway-chevy/

There were probably more, but I only looked through part of one of the three different auto sections.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius looks like a spaceship, but carries much more than TCH or HCH.

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I don't know if I'd agree with that. I test-drove the Prius and TCH before deciding on the TCH. I'm 6'3" and the Prius felt a bit cramped to me. Also I can fit three across reasonably comfortably in the back of the TCH. Don't know if the same is true of the Prius (didn't try it). Of course the Prius' hatchback wins for cargo space.
We are the same height and my knees where right against the dash in the Prius. I played with the seat as much as I could with no luck. Never even test drove the Prius because of that. Never gotten in one but, the TCH from what I hear seems like a winner.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Mr Kite,worthywads- thanks.

Mr Kite-thanks for the info-heck of a price for a new car. We-NEW Orleans-are getting shafted on new car prices because of all the buying going on to replace flooded vehicles(several hundred thousand were totaled).Folks aren't too careful with insurance money! Our dealers are predatory!
Worthywads-My 1998 Accesscab was 2780 lbs(AT)-more than 6000 lbs less than the current AT Accesscab.The MT is a good move.I don't know why, but the MT little Toyotas were 4 mpg better than the AT and a lot zippier.It is good to see that the current Tacomas still get outstanding mpg despite the increased size/wt.I'm pretty sure the Frontiers don't do as well(they are about 300 lbs heavier). The little Toyota truck was a very, very practical vehicle-cheap to buy, cheap to drive, big(6 ft bed) enough to haul most "stuff". I had a series of them-1975,86,94,98-all winners.The MTs had more than adequate ZIP; the ATs were just slow! I do miss mine. I would get about 29- 30 mpg with the MTs-but that was at 75 mph or so.I got 24 mpg at 75 mph with the 98. You get ~33mpg at what speed-60-65mph?
Thanks.Charlie

Old 07-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Hybrid True Believer

One thing that would *really* help out the Aevo, Yaris, and Fit: having an option for a 6-speed F1 automated-manual transmission. Whaddya think?

Quick Reply: "They buy a Chevy Aveo . . ."

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands