Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

More CNW Marketing . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: More CNW Marketing . . . .

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I was just checking out this joke of a website by CNW Marketing Research.

These are all excerpts from their FAQ.
http://www.cnwmr.com/frequentquestions/

. . .
and my favorite
Quote:
Why don't you do business in Alabama?

We recognize 49 states and the District of Columbia. We do not accept business from Alabama. It'll take more than one beer for any further details.

Bob is also from Alabama. Coincidence? I think NOT!!!
I've lived in dread of this day. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here's a commentary on the CNW report that bought the data hook, line, and sinker, no critical analysis of the studies method found here.

Conclusion, Toyota has it backwards along with all hybrid buyers. Solution, buy a Hummer instead.

http://www.reason.org/commentaries/d...20060719.shtml

Old 07-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I actually spent a little bit of time this morning looking over their 458 page report. It does contain lots of fluff. For example they will have a 10 page table that they then display again sorted differently. Anyway, there is one point that I would like to make.

Strictly for the sake of argument, let's make the outlandish assumption that their hidden energy analysis of manufacturing and disposal are correct. You may wonder how they can say that a Hummer has a lower energy cost per mile that a Civic Hybrid or Prius. For starters, they say the Civic Hybrid will only last 113,000 miles and the Prius will last only 109,000 miles. They even claim that Toyota provided the latter number. In contrast, they say that the Hummer will last 379,000 miles. They also say:

Of today’s $3 per gallon, about 41 cents goes to energy.
They claim that they used $3 per gallon as the energy cost per gallon over the next 20 years.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I actually spent a little bit of time this morning looking over their 458 page report. It does contain lots of fluff. For example they will have a 10 page table that they then display again sorted differently. Anyway, there is one point that I would like to make.

Strictly for the sake of argument, let's make the outlandish assumption that their hidden energy analysis of manufacturing and disposal are correct. You may wonder how they can say that a Hummer has a lower energy cost per mile that a Civic Hybrid or Prius. For starters, they say the Civic Hybrid will only last 113,000 miles and the Prius will last only 109,000 miles. They even claim that Toyota provided the latter number. In contrast, they say that the Hummer will last 379,000 miles. They also say:

They claim that they used $3 per gallon as the energy cost per gallon over the next 20 years.

A Hummer lasting almost 400,000 miles? Two words: YEAH, RIGHT!

My HCH is at 105k miles and showing ZERO signs of wearing out (other than the paint fading a bit).

Old 07-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by worthywads
Here's a commentary on the CNW report that bought the data hook, line, and sinker, no critical analysis of the studies method found here.

Conclusion, Toyota has it backwards along with all hybrid buyers. Solution, buy a Hummer instead. . . .
Works for me. I'm not terribly fond of them and have no problem with whatever they want to drive. The money they burn up is money they can't spend on other things. The essense of freedom is choices including the ability to make bad decisions.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-22-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

To add a little more fuel to this fire...

I drove from Dallas to Tulsa and back today and happened to listen to 570 KLIF this morning on the way up there. I was listening to a show called the "Automotive Minute" hosted by Ed Wallace. About 9:20 he spent some time quoting Art Spinella's study and I believe also called Art his friend. A lot of the same information went out over the radio this morning.

Anyhow I called in and waited for an hour to ask him about it. What prompted my call was Mr Wallace indicated that Art told him that he got the 109,000 mile lifetime number directly from Toyota. I asked him on air about it again and he repeated the assertion. I did get in that I found it hard to believe that Toyota would do this but he still defended it. I also got in that I hoped Art was wrong and Mr Wallace gave me the "numbers are the numbers" spiel.

It was a congenial conversation and Mr Wallace was quite pleasant. I can see how he has his job. That did not keep me from being steamed about the whole thing though.

I just emailed Toyota to ask if they had in fact told Mr Spinella anything of the sort. I am so looking forward to the reply. I will be forwarding it to Mr Wallace and his station if the reply comes back negative.

I was looking at another post and forgot Mr Wallace also gave the same old tired story about a Corolla costng thousands less and getting only 3-4 MPG less. Geez.

Last edited by abowles; 07-22-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Hybrid True Believer

The whole "Corolla costs thousands less" is a crock anyway. Anyone interested in a Camry Hybrid *isn't* going to have the Corolla as their second choice. They might buy a Lexus or a Solara, but not a Corolla!

Likewise, a HCH buyer isn't going to choose a FIT as their runner-up. They'd go for a Accord or Accura.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 AM

I can't believe you folks. Don't you realize that everything you read and hear in the press has to be true?

Toyota warrantees their hybrid components for 100,000 miles, and in some states for 150,000 miles by law. However, they're officially saying that the Prius is only going to last 109,000 miles? If anyone believes that I have a bridge in Brooklyn and some swamp land in Florida they may be interested in.

One other thing. According to Consumer Reports the Toyota Prius has had much better than average reliability, while the Accord is much better than average for the hybrid, but only better than average for the V-6. I guess they run great until a little over 100,000 miles and then die. Now I understand.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:41 AM

The Prius will last only 109,000 miles.

Riight.... We know different. Here are a few links about high mileage Prius Taxis.

2001 Prius with 259,000 miles Empress Express Taxi

2004 Prius with 240,000 miles and no major repairs

2002 Prius with 223,270 miles, no engine or battery trouble

Last edited by nash; 07-24-2006 at 07:53 AM.