Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNW Marketing and Daily Mail Nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Engineering first
Default CNW Marketing and Daily Mail Nonsense

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opini...g_a_Prius.html

Originally Posted by 60plus.org
Hidden cost of driving a Prius

Totaling all the energy expended, from design to junkyard, a Hummer may be a better bargain.

By James L. Martin
. . .
More of the CNW Marketing and Daily Mail nickel nonsense. I've already sent a letter to the editor in charge of opinion pieces. I'll also send the URL for the opinion piece to the Sudbury ON Chamber of Commerce.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Dear editor,

James Martin is free to hold any opinion he wishes but he has made a number of factual errors that you or any fact checker can test:

1) "On the perimeter of the [Sudbury Ontario] area, skeletons of trees and bushes stand like ghostly sentinels"

"In the late 1970s, private, public, and commercial interests combined to establish an unprecedented "regreening" effort. Lime was spread over the charred soil of the Sudbury region by hand and by aircraft. Seeds of wild grasses and other vegetation were also spread. In twenty years, over three million trees were planted. The ecology of the Sudbury region has recovered dramatically, due both to the regreening program and improved mining practices, and in 1992 the city was given the "Local Government Honours Award" by the United Nations, in honour of its innovative community-based strategies in environmental rehabilitation. More recently, the city has begun to rehabilitate the slag heaps that surround the Copper Cliff smelter area, with the planting of grass and trees." - Wikipedia

Better still, call the Sudbury Chamber of Commerce, 705-673-7133. For good measure, I'll forward Martin's piece and they may want to talk to your editors about 'fact checking.'

2) "Toyota buys about 1,000 tons of nickel from the facility each year, . . ."

". . . Production of nickel has remained relatively constant of the 1977-2003 period at between 200,000 and 250,000 tonnes per annum."

http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/mindep/hist/index_e.php

Toyota is using less than 0.5% of all nickel production with much larger amounts going to stainless steel and high temperature metals, like the turbines of jet engines and tooling needed to make the Hummers Martin makes a product placement claim about.

3) "A "Dust to Dust" study by CNW Marketing . . . "

This widely disputed study by a marketing firm makes an unsubstantiated claim that non-operational energy costs exceed operational cost. But every academic study, such as the Institute For Lifecycle Environmental Assessement, Carnegie Mellon University, reports that operational fuel use is over 75% of the total vehicle energy cost:

http://www.ilea.org/lcas/macleanlave1998.html

James Martin is entitled to believe anything he wants but the facts and data he claimed do not stand up to even the most casual fact checking.

Bob Wilson
Feel free to share with The Philadelphia Inquirer your opinions.

Bob Wilson

ps. James Martin has photos of his best friend on his web site:

http://60plus.org/

Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CNW Marketing and Daily Mail Nonsense

Can't Toyota and other hybrid manufacturers just sue the CNW Marketing guy for slander or something?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sueing would be a waste of time and money. I think Toyota figures its a lose lose for them. Besides, they have us (GH) and others debunking CNW for them. IMO Toyota will let the Gen III Prius speak for them in about 12 months.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here's one rebuttal:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...2220.html?pg=1

DAS

Old 04-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
Excellent find although I think the author was a little 'light' on CNW Marketing (or I'm too hard.) <grins> For example, the "Hummer" infrastructure was mentioned without any evidence that CNW Marketing included that in their cost model. But I appreciated their pointing out that CNW Marketing has not really posted all of their source data and methods. I just wish the rebuttal author had made a little stronger statement about this.

Regardless, time will solve the problem. CNW Marketing tied themselves to 'longevity' and Toyota's commitment to hybrids makes this a no-brainer. In short, every year, CNW Marketings own model makes the Prius less and less expensive.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-17-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

One thing they failed to mention, Bob is the estimate a Hummer will last 300,000 miles while a Prius will only last 100,000 miles.