Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
There may be some orchestration to all of this as well or just plain and simple competition from two keen rivals.
Competition? Ford and GM used to have that once, I seem to recall, before they retreated to their corners and decided to rely on marketing to differentiate their products.

I say let Honda and Toyota have at it. Toyota's bigger, but think what they can do with Honda nipping at their heels. It is nice to see capitalism working like it's supposed to.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blinkard
Competition? Ford and GM used to have that once, I seem to recall, before they retreated to their corners and decided to rely on marketing to differentiate their products.

I say let Honda and Toyota have at it. Toyota's bigger, but think what they can do with Honda nipping at their heels. It is nice to see capitalism working like it's supposed to.
Actually if we were letting capitalism work like it's supposed to we wouldn't be getting tax credits for hybrids.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Actually if we were letting capitalism work like it's supposed to we wouldn't be getting tax credits for hybrids.

shhhhhhhhhh

Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Hybrid True Believer

What about "Think Green Go Yellow"? After all, there are several DOZEN E85 gas stations nationwide, and the govermnent treats an Escalade as a 96 MPG vehicle when running E85, ha ha ha! That's Detroit Environmentalism!

Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
What about "Think Green Go Yellow"? After all, there are several DOZEN E85 gas stations nationwide, and the govermnent treats an Escalade as a 96 MPG vehicle when running E85, ha ha ha! That's Detroit Environmentalism!
9.6 mpg? That's realistic. What's this 96?

Old 08-12-2006, 04:52 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by worthywads
9.6 mpg? That's realistic. What's this 96?
I was making fun of the fact that the CAFE standards only count the gasoline part of E85 when calculating whether or not a vehicle is a gas guzzler. It's just an accounting trick that GM/Ford are willing to exploit.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
It was. If a diesel can do better than a hybrid in FE, that in itself tells me that you are polluting less but the mere fact that you are using less fuel.

I don't buy the arguement that just by owning a hybrid you are polluting less... it's all about context. Sure my HCH gets better FE than my MINI, but guess which car polluts less? It's my MINI because I drive 9 miles to my HCH 40 miles.

The technology exist right now and is being used right now for diesel to pollute less. If bio-diesel (algae derived) takes off, well it's a win/win. The hybrids as they stand now still use gasoline (with 10% ethanol) which means they will pollute more.
One thing to remember is that diesel has greater energy desnity by volume than gasoline, this means it will go further per gallon (as there is more energy to work with) as well as pollute slightly more per gallon.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I love it!

short range EV - any distance is OK and preferably as option packages: (1) 1-2 mile standard, (2) 20 miles, option 1, (3) 40 miles, option 2 . . . Make the EV battery assembly for the options something that can be installed and removed so on a vacation or towing, the extra weight and space is available for luggage and sundries.

hybrid transmission - regenerative braking and provides standard EV mode.

diesel - sized for a sustained top speed of say 90 mph, turbo charged of course. Have optional tow package sized engine too. Also, needs an optional E100 and natural gas fuel capability.

exhaust heat recovery - provides auxillary cabin heating in the winter and uses ammonium absorbtion cooling cycle in the summer.

double-walled roof and light sensitive glass - tints the windows in sunlight and keeps the radiant heat out of the cabin.

radar assisted brakes, horn and cruise control - allows safe drafting of simularly equipped vehicles and trucks. Also, sounds the horn prior to a collision, automaticly.

rear view cameras - only one cabin, rear view mirror and the rest use low-profile, rear view cameras. Optional, front view, low-light camera for assisted night driving.

Now we're talking a serious 21st century vehicle.

Bob Wilson
To expand on the idea of your car -- include layers of sprayed-on foam on both of the double-walls in the roof, and the doors, that could act both as a heat-barrier for improved climate control efficiency, and a sound-barrier for extremely good ambient noise reduction (sound absorbtion from the insulation, plus an air gap). Use high-quality IR-reflecting window film to kill radiant heat, as well.

Also, I would also suggest a high airflow circulation fan, with wide low-restriction vents, including ventilated seats (the driver could run this exclusively for more economy, as all you'd need to heat or cool is the person, or along with the normal vents). Implement sound cancellation through the speakers to kill any fan noise.

Finally, with this amazingly clean acoustic environment, put in a very high quality sound system.

Also, implement a GPS-aware system for the hybrid drivetrain so that the computer could "know" that the car is about to, say, climb a 4-mile 6% grade, then it could intelligently use battery power (exhaust just enough power on the climb that it can refill on the descent). It could also implement some sort of adaptive programming that would recognize and tune the charge/assist algorthims to specific, frequently repeated routes -- such as a commute to work.