Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Rudd pledges $500m towards hybrid car development

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Site Founder
Default Rudd pledges $500m towards hybrid car development

The federal Opposition Leader, Kevin Rudd, has promised to set up a $500 million fund for the car industry to encourage the development of environmentally friendly cars.
Mr Rudd is in Adelaide today for a opposition cabinet meeting and spent the morning touring a car parts factory.
He says money from the proposed fund would be dependent on the merit of the project.
"Plus a three-to-one investment," he said.
"We've got to jag industry's involvement in this and we want at our end point to ensure we have a long-term viable motor vehicle industry in Australia and we think a national green car innovation fund is a positive step forward for the environment and for jobs."
Mr Rudd says environmental concerns are becoming more prominent for many Australian families in the market for a car.
He has told Radio 5AA that producing hybrid cars would help the nation's struggling automotive industry.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1872588.htm

Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rudd pledges $500m towards hybrid car development

Two things occur to me in response to this.
1) the person proposing to put Australia's government's money to this use is the Opposition Leader (we'd call it the Minority Leader here in the US). In other words, he can call for it but he is unlikely to have the ability to actually do it. So this is an idea that's just being talked about in Australia, not the actual policy of their government, and it's probably not going to happen. Unless, I suppose, the Howard government loses power and Rudd wins it. When's their next election?
2) I don't know any Australian car manufacturers, and I wonder if the 3-to-1 investment idea is feasible or if they would go for it. Anyone know if the Australian car industry is particularly eco-conscious? The population there is on the small side, and I doubt that they export many cars (vast oceans to cross and all that) so this plan, though certainly a good one, probably would have a fairly small global impact on carbon emissions. However, that's no reason to be gloomy. A small impact is better than none, and if they develop new technologies and end up on the cutting edge, their ideas can always be licensed elsewhere. The more research, the better, I say.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You must be in research eh? leahbeatle.

Here's another article on Australia and Hybrids. Holden is owned by GM by the way, the Pontiac GTO is based an a Holden model.

Australian automakers urged to invest in hybrids Written by Sandra Duffy Thursday, 09 November 2006 The Australian government is urging Australian automakers to invest in hybrid technology. According to a report by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Greg Hunt, parliamentary secretary at the Environment Ministry, said the government is in direct contact with manufacturers and is encouraging them to retool and take advantage of world trends toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.
Hunt told an energy conference in Hobart that the nation's carmakers are being urged to put proposals to the government on hybrid car development, the report went on to say.
In terms of production Australia is not a major auto producing country, just over 300,000 vehicles are made annually by four manufactuers - Holden, Toyota, Ford and Mitsubishi. Australian vehicle sales are circa 800,000 annualy. The automotive sector is much larger than traditional data would suggest, with over $27 billion of sales per year, says the Australian Industry Group.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nope, I'm not in research, but I have a background in physics and know a lot of researchers. Also, it's just common sense. Technology is far more than the sum of its parts, and the benefits it produces in society far outweigh the expenses of the kind of long term investment that it takes to produce it. Governments have to take the lead in thinking long-term in this respect, because industry groups like the one mentioned in your quote often rely on companies, which are relatively short-lived, and have relatively short-term goals and need short-term profits to survive.