Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Delta Flyer,

I whole-heartedly agree that we as a country are just a bunch of whiners. Our founding fathers would be disgusted with what we have become. Where is the personal responsibility that they displayed (if you don't raise crops or hunt - you don't eat!). If you choose to buy a vehicle that gets poor mileage then you live with the consequences! The whole society just seems to have this entitlement mentality lately. "Please Mr Government man - save me from myself and my inability to make good decisions."

I'd better quit before I go off and get somebody mad again at me..... :-)

Eric

Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by williaea
...I'd better quit before I go off and get somebody mad again at me..... :-)
If the shoe fits, let's hope they are big enough to acknowledge they can comfortably use less gas and act on it.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Engineering first
Cool Re: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Originally Posted by williaea
I whole-heartedly agree that we as a country are just a bunch of whiners. Our founding fathers would be disgusted with what we have become. Where is the personal responsibility that they displayed (if you don't raise crops or hunt - you don't eat!). If you choose to buy a vehicle that gets poor mileage then you live with the consequences! The whole society just seems to have this entitlement mentality lately. "Please Mr Government man - save me from myself and my inability to make good decisions."
Man, I'm getting sick and tired of the whiners whining about whiners. Instead of looking at the merits of each case, these whiners dismiss anything they don't want to hear as whinning. Why in my day, when we and the founding fathers had to walk to school, bare feeted, in the snow, against the wind, up hill, both ways, did we whine about the whiners, NO . . . we built the country the whiner whiners are trying to censor discussion about by whining about the whiners.

For our next trick, we'll not use no redundant negitives.

A simpler observation is that gas hog drivers pay the price of their decisions each day. Like chastity, it is its own reward and punishment. Sad to say but their spending empowers those who are not our friends and hold our debts.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
hy-curious

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
So how are they if you dip 'em in milk and eggs, roll them in flour and fry them up? Not too dry?
Holy crap that sounds like the <em>best thing ever</em>.

I do agree, however, that the original quote was most likely a joke. It's just got too much of that 'here's my caricature of what stupid rural southern red state people are like. yeehaw!' feel.

Does anyone know if there is a good source of information on gasoline and oil demand in the US that's updated daily/weekly? I found something once, perhaps on the DoE site, but I haven't been able to find it again. My guess is that you're going to see demand level off or even drop in the next few weeks, just like it did after Katrina. The queation, as always, is whether it will stay level or whether people will eventually just get used to $3/gal gas and go back to their old habits.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned
Default It Could Go Either Way

Originally Posted by davidgrenier
...I do agree, however, that the original quote was most likely a joke. It's just got too much of that 'here's my caricature of what stupid rural southern red state people are like. yeehaw!' feel.....
It could have been a joke, but when you see the things people do on the road, it's easy to believe it was not a joke.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bob,

Thank you! Eloquent verbage was never my strong suit! Heck, most days I'm lucky if I can make people understand what I'm trying to say.

Eric

Old 04-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by davidgrenier
My guess is that you're going to see demand level off or even drop in the next few weeks, just like it did after Katrina. The queation, as always, is whether it will stay level or whether people will eventually just get used to $3/gal gas and go back to their old habits.

It's a boiling frog situation. If you put a frog in boiling water, he'll jump out. If you put a frog in water, then heat it until boiling, he'll stay there until he perishes. Consumers and prices aren't much different. If we had gone from 99 cent gas to 3 dollar gas, there'd have been a massive uproar. Instead, the incrimental gains and complains have resulted in a more griping, but little furor.

The problem that most people have is their own lack of information. For to many, it's either drive and gripe, or cut back and gripe. I think fewer and fewer people are actually looking for solutions, instead they're looking for dependence; on others to solve their problems for them. Instead of blaming themselves for owning hummers and super duty trucks, they want to blame the government, the oil companies, the gas stations.

"If you want to know who's responsible for this, you need only look in a mirror."

Old 04-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

BTW, Summer is comming!