High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

high mileage, high mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default high mileage, high mpg

I have a 93 civic sedan. 244,000 miles, averages 35-37 mpg. Looks almost as good as new. Would like an excuse to buy a larger, hybrid commuter car but haven't had a car payment in a decade.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: high mileage, high mpg

so are you planning to get a new honda hybrid?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast

I have a friend who just purchased a used one and then he gutted the cat. He said it increased my mileage by about 11% has anyone else had this experience?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

My brother was travelling cross country and suddenly needed a new catalytic converter on his '87 Camry. A small town mechanic gutted it to keep it running until he could get home. He said he had a lot more power and 2-3 mpg better (I guess that is 10%!) performance. Down side is that it becomes a bigger polluter, and it was no longer legal to drive for that reason. He is environmentally conscious and paid something like 1200 to fix it.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: high mileage, high mpg

My reply to Ice's question. I like the new civic a lot, but want something larger, and that can run on electric alone rather than in parallel. My hope is to upgrade to plug-in lithium Ion batteries and eventually avoid gassing up almost completely. A local MA company, A123, already has upgrade kit for Prius. I have had my last car 15 years and expect to keep the next one almost as long. Who knows what gas will be at in 2023?!?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

Always sad to hear that kind of stuff. I don't lose sleep over a dead/gutted cat. If it really that big a deal, Al Gore would have catalytic converters on his guzzling jet. Now that would be a sight!

Common sense is just not COMMON !

Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

bought the TCH used, 2007. Needed alignment and battery for remote, otherwise just fine. So, signing off this thread, Civic owner no more. Maybe again someday.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: high mileage, high mpg

Originally Posted by Geoff
bought the TCH used, 2007. Needed alignment and battery for remote, otherwise just fine. So, signing off this thread, Civic owner no more. Maybe again someday.
ur gonna luv it. Best car I have ever owned!

Like you, I plan to keep my TCH for a long, long, long, LONG, time.

RFB

Old 08-09-2009, 03:09 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation What exactly is welfare, and why are mothers on welfare hated

I am not a mother, current mortgage rates nor do I plan on having children soon. Explain refinancing a mortgage I have just recently been reading answers from mortgage refinancing calculator people saying that how does refinancing work they hate mothers on welfare. What is welfare and how does it affect what is involved in refinancing your home other people.