Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Just Joined This Board

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Just Joined This Board

We have a Prius and an Escape Hybrid.

We have had the Escape since last December and are quite happy with it.
Like most people who wanted a hybrid SUV, I had figured on waiting for the Toyota Highlander hybrid until I found out about the Ford, which was available with no wait and gets better mileage than the Highlander. The Escape is also the right size for us. The RAV4 we had was a little too small, and the Highlander is too big.

Had been looking at the Prius for a while, but was initially put off by the long waiting list and the styling of the first generation Prius.

The Prius II looks less like an econobox and more like an alien spacecraft. I like that.
By late summer, the waiting list had shrunk too.

We got our Prius 2 weeks before Katrina hit the Gulf and sent gas prices skyrocketing.

Still haven't figured out how to coax EPA mileage out of the Prius though. Maybe it's not fully broken-in yet.

Driving a hybrid does take away quite a bit of the bother from getting stuck in stop-and-go traffic. We at least get to watch our mileage go up
Fortunately, we don't spend that much time in heavy traffic, but
regenerative braking also comes into its own in the mountains, where we live. That will almost certainly make the brakes last longer, and it helps mileage quite a bit too.

I am currently trying to figure out how to install VHF/UHF ham radio gear in both vehicles. Possibly HF in the Escape as well. Both have factory nav/stereo systems. Also looking for iPod/aux interfaces for said nav/stereo systems.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: Just Joined This Board

AndyTiedye,
Welcome to GreenHybrid! It's good to know that Escape owners are finding us here. Good luck with the Ham install. I know it's been done before. Use the search function to find other threads on the topic.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by AndyTiedye

We got our Prius 2 weeks before Katrina hit the Gulf and sent gas prices skyrocketing.
Nice timing!

Welcome to GH. I suspect the mountains have something to due with you all not hitting EPA. Don't feel bad, most don't. Check out the database, the average for the Prius is 48 mpg.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hello, and welcome to the club!

Old 10-01-2005, 07:26 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Just Joined This Board

Welcome to (GreenHybrid) and I would not be to concerned over the FE thing, just enjoy your new Hybrid and know that your way ahead of the non-Hybrids.

Regards;

Terry