Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota's Next Prius: Hybrid X Concept Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Site Founder
Default Toyota's Next Prius: Hybrid X Concept Unveiled

Most automakers start to think a little outside the box when it comes to concepts, not Toyota. The Hybrid X debuted this morning at the Geneva Motor Show and is meant to be a look at the future of Toyota hybrid vehicles. Anyone who’s seen a Prius in the past few years won’t be a bit surprised by the electric blue concept car’s open cabin with lots of glass. We’re a bit surprised Toyota didn’t announce any details about its efficiency, instead this is purely a “design” concept. The Hybrid X uses the same Hybrid Synergy Drive that powers the current Prius, but rumor has it the next generation Prius will get considerably better mileage than the current gas sipper’s 60/51 mpg city/hwy.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...new_prius.html

Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Toyota's Next Prius: Hybrid X Concept Unveiled

Ahem, the reviewer wouldn't know a new idea if it ran over them:
  • Very small air-intakes - low cooling drag!
  • No visible windshield wipers - low drag and less noise
  • Plate, not open wheels - low drag and less noise
  • Smooth body to windshield form - nearly perfect front body shape
I would expect a substantially lower coefficient of drag, 0.20, and outstanding highway performance. If they couple that body with advanced materials, carbon-fiber or mixed panels, even the city performance would improve.

Then looking at the doors:

This totally eliminates the problem of oversized loads. It is even more remarkable if it also has better rollover protection. The interior space to external dimensions are very attractive and the doors and rear hatch make it all usable. Cutting a couple of hundred pounds and this car would be awesome.

Now if they improved the control laws by adding higher speed EV-stealth modes and put the Lexus two-stage MG2 option, it would have remarkable performance. If they would just give us an optional, "neutral" coast when letting off on the accelerator, we'd instantly see nearly a 5 MPG improvement in City driving.

Now add to this an exhaust heat recovery and reuse system, and life would be great. Let the AC and heating systems run totally from the exhaust pipe with electric augmentation. This would totally blow the new EPA ratings away.

Combined this could potentially provide City/Highway numbers in the 70s. . . . but let's not worry the reviewers about it!

Bob Wilson

Old 03-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota's Next Prius: Hybrid X Concept Unveiled

Nice post Bob.

I'm thinking (and hoping) this is much less "concept" and much more "actual" and that Toyota will release it in, say, 2009.

Consider me on the waiting list!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
If they would just give us an optional, "neutral" coast when letting off on the accelerator, we'd instantly see nearly a 5 MPG improvement in City driving.

Bob Wilson
I was driving the other day and was really paying attention to regen activated by releasing the gas vs brake pedal activation, and I really think they did impliment this stratagy in the TCH. They might do it in the next Prius also.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Noz
Active Enthusiast

I do sincerely hope that the style is a concept and not the real thing....I don't think it's a practical design from a driving standpoint. It looks too much like a coffin and the high door sills will make one feel they are sitting in a bucket..ala the Lexus IS...an extremely claustrophobic car for me.

Also the huge rear overhang...terrible blind spots, etc.

Also, concerning costs, how do they propose to introduce all these new things yet reduce the cost?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Noz
I do sincerely hope that the style is a concept and not the real thing....I don't think it's a practical design from a driving standpoint. It looks too much like a coffin . . .
I was thinking more along the lines of a .38 bullet.

Originally Posted by Noz
. . . and the high door sills will make one feel they are sitting in a bucket..ala the Lexus IS...an extremely claustrophobic car for me.
Seat height is important to us too. I can't tell from the photos but I'd like to know if it would be a 'squat down' or 'sit in' or 'climb up.'

Originally Posted by Noz
Also the huge rear overhang...terrible blind spots, etc.

Also, concerning costs, how do they propose to introduce all these new things yet reduce the cost?
If they made a rear-view camera system, 24x7, I'd be one happy camper. I want wider fields of view and have no problem with an electronic system with advanced imaging (aka., image processing to take out head lights while giving longer range views.) Also, eliminate the side mirrors with wide angle, cameras and image processing. Combine that with a vehicle 'situational awareness' and collision avoidance, and I'd be one happy camper.

Of course, we are all expecting the car to cost $1.25 . . . $1 for the car a a $.25 tip.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm cetain it won't be perfect. I am still generally impressed and like it overall at first blush.