Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

It’s Time to Buy a Hybrid Vehicle, Suggests Edmunds.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Site Founder
Default It’s Time to Buy a Hybrid Vehicle, Suggests Edmunds.com

Considering a hybrid vehicle? Now is the time to buy, according to Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information. There are four key reasons:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...13/040114.html

Old 03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: It’s Time to Buy a Hybrid Vehicle, Suggests Edmunds.com

Hi,
I agree with Edmunds.
In fact I used the Invoice price on Edmunds.com when we bought 2, new pkg#2 Prius cars at the end of Feb.
Both dealers showed me that it was under "the LA area" invoice (by $300) but agreed to price. Coupled with the good financing it was right for us.
We had owned a 2005 for 2 years and loved it.
The BIG spike in Gas prices, $3.18 plus for 87 Oct. here, may cut the inventories. Time will tell--but now looks good for buyers.
Carl

Old 03-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good to see this kind of story.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM
MMH + Prius = Bliss

Guess my timing on looking for a vehicle is well timed.. much unlike my timing on buying stock in the stock market.. hey.. 50% ain't bad!

Hopefully can close on a deal in the coming weeks.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: It’s Time to Buy a Hybrid Vehicle, Suggests Edmunds.com

Before purchasing a hybrid, please consider the cost of replacing the hybrid battery in your calculus!

I have a 2001 Prius w/ 144,000 miles. I was just told that I need to have my hybrid battery and computer replaced for a mere $5,000! I'm told the warranty on the replaced battery may only be for a year. (The service person at the dealership is verifying that for me as we speak so I might be wrong on that.)

Unless money is no object to you, it's probably not an economically sound decision to buy a hybrid until the cost of replacing the batteries decreases.

That said, maybe by the time the newer Prius' wear out, the cost will have come down. In the mean time, be aware that the cost of replacing the hybrid battery is cost prohibitive to say the least and that you would probably be far better off financially purchasing a smaller, conventional car w/ good gas mileage and reliability.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by kayhud
I was just told that I need to have my hybrid battery and computer replaced for a mere $5,000! ...

Unless money is no object to you, it's probably not an economically sound decision to buy a hybrid until the cost of replacing the batteries decreases.
How much of that is the computer, and how much is the battery, and how much is labor, and how much of the labor is for changing the computer?

I'm more concerned about your computer going out than your battery. I assume the computer caused the battery failure, and is most of the cost of the repair. If it was a failed computer, and that is a truly rare failure, then warning people about expensive hybrid battery costs is very misdirected.

-- Alan

Old 03-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
If you Buy the car in Calif. the Battery is warrented for 10 years and 150K miles along with some other " no pollution" type parts. That would have covered kayhud (barely).
I believe Some eastern states have this as well.
Also I understand that it is where you PURCHASED the car not where you live.
Obviously all this should be verified to your satisfaction.
Bought 2, pkg 2 Prius cars at the end of Feb. Prices were very good. Financing is even better now untill end of March.
Carl

Old 03-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: It’s Time to Buy a Hybrid Vehicle, Suggests Edmunds.com

Hi,

Originally Posted by kayhud
. . .
I have a 2001 Prius w/ 144,000 miles. I was just told that I need to have my hybrid battery and computer replaced for a mere $5,000! I'm told the warranty on the replaced battery may only be for a year. (The service person at the dealership is verifying that for me as we speak so I might be wrong on that.)
. . .
What happened when it failed? Does the car still move? Where is it? Have you considered used parts?

I've seen NHW11 batteries for as little as $500 although $1000 is more common. The vehicle ECUs are also available on the used market.

How about coming over to the Prius forum and starting a new thread. I know a lot of Prius technology folks who would be interested in your car and the outcome.

Bob Wilson