Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

Honda Civic Hybrid IMA & 12V charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Honda Civic Hybrid IMA & 12V charging issues

Hello all, first post. My 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid (132,000 miles) was driving perfectly a few weeks ago until, while driving, the IMA light, 12V battery light, and check engine light came on, as well as the "D" (drive) light blinking, and the hybrid functions stopped working. I took the car to the nearest Honda dealer, who performed a "full diagnostic" for several days and told me it may be a short or I may need a new ECU--either way, they said to drive it and hope it didn't happen again (it shortly happened again). A few days after the issue came back, my Brake System light and Parking Break light also came on--a few days after THAT, the car showed signs of a dying 12V, and the next day, would not start.

I called the dealership and was given part number 1B100RMXA13 and quoted $4-5k for a repair. I found a salvage part, and replaced, with no success. After some reading, I replaced a few others parts with cheap salvage ones: 1C800-RMX-0130 (DC-Dc converter), power control module (HBD115), and battery control module (1K100-RMX-A08). The issues all persisted. No 12V battery charging, I tested the battery, tests perfectly. I then checked fuses and found a 10A fuse for the IMA under the hood that was blown, in the accessory fuse box. Replacing that fuse removed the parking brake and braking system lights, but the fuse immediately blew again, obviously. Today, I took the IMA battery out and took multimeter readings. The battery reads just over 166V, so the IMA battery seems good (it was replaced under warranty around 60k miles).

Some things I have read thanks to the really helpful people here on this sight may point to the IPU fan causing the fuse to blow. I could see this. but I don't think the IPU fan is the reason for the other issues (no 12V charging, etc.) however, as the IMA fuse only blew several days of driving after the other issues began. I am thinking that somewhere, I have a short. I am at a loss at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing these problems?

Old 01-17-2023, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Hybrid IMA & 12V charging issues

Keep the engine revved up to 1,500 rpm in Park for about 10 minutes and the IMA battery will continue to charge to full. Shut it off. Disconnect the ground cable for half a minute and reconnect. Wait 20 minutes for IMA battery to cool. Now start and again charge the IMA for 10 minutes again or until you have full bars. Do this every 20 minutes for 8 or 10 hours and the IMA battery will be reconditioned.

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited by Alisad; 01-20-2023 at 08:11 AM.