Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

Honda Civic Hybrid - Battery Stick Test and Replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Honda Civic Hybrid - Battery Stick Test and Replace

Hello,

I want to fix my HCH for the next owner. I am sure a young person could enjoy it.

This is a Honda Civic Hybrid that I have owned for a while and fixed up for my wife.

Car runs great. I grid charged the battery, but have codes for some poor sticks in the pack.

Can anyone help with the best way to test the sticks, so I can replace the bad ones?

Has anyone had success with buying the untested used packs, or is it better to purchase tested ones?

Thank you!

Old 01-05-2022, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Hybrid - Battery Stick Test and Replace

My Civic Hybrid has been fine for the 6 years I've had it - paid off, second hand, was a fleet car before I bought it. It has no guts but the MPGs are fabulous. Mechanic said the hybrid battery is going (the light comes on intermittently, it hesitates when starting from a stop occasionally). Since this is an old beast with 120k on it, and it'll need new brakes soon, too, is it worth putting a new battery in it at $3k, or should I get rid of it while I can? If the latter, whats a good MPG car I can buy used that snaptube vidmate you'd actually recommend?

Old 01-17-2023, 11:48 PM
Enthusiast

you need to balance the battery cell together in order to have no code. just parallel all cells together and charge so it has same voltage all across.

Kodi nox

Last edited by Alisad; 01-20-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alisad
you need to balance the battery cell together in order to have no code. just parallel all cells together and charge so it has same voltage all across.
For the love of all that is holy, do not do this. You can't safely charge NiMH in parallel. There's a very good chance you'll push one or more cells into thermal runaway and destroy them.