Rear Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Rear Backup Camera Installation

I know a lot of people have been waiting for this update since I first posted about it a few weeks ago.

First some words of caution. If you are not technically inclined or feel that you are unable to do this type of installation, please consult a professional to do the job. I also assume no responsiblity for any damages you might cause to your vehicle or anyone around you and/or other vehicles. And just in case there are any other loop holes in the above mentioned disclaimer, I cannot be held liable for anything, anytime, anywhere and anyhow.

-------------------------------------

Tools List:

- Flat Blade Screw Driver (Slot)
- Philips Screw Driver
- Soft Rubber Mallot
- Wire Coat Hanger
- Foam Tape
- Power Drill and Set of Drill Bits
- Automotive Grade Double Side Tape (Red Label or equivlent)
- Clip Puller
- Voltage Tester (optional)
- Gloves
- 10mm wrench
- 11mm wrench
- Adjustable wrench

Parts List:

- Honda Wire Harness for Auto-Dimming Mirror *
- Auto Dimming Mirror with built-in LCD Monitor
- Gentex Camlock adapter for Honda/Foreign Cars *
- License Plate Mounted Camera CCD Wide Angle (140 or Better)*
OR
- CCD Wide Angle Camera (140 or Better degrees)
- Replacement Clip for Side Pillar

* Easy installation method

Installation:

Before you begin you will need to remove the power cable from the battery under the hood. This should use a standard 10mm wrench or 11mm. You only need to remove one of the two cables.

Once you remove the battery cable, you need to let the car sit for 30 mins so the AIRBAGS reserve power is drained.

** Please note you will need to have your Radio Unlock code and Navigation Code on hand once the installation is finish to activate your radio and/or navigational unit.

My instructions right now will go through using the easy method right now with future updates to the alternative method.

Follow the installation instructions provided to you with the Honda Auto Dimming Mirror Harness instructions packet.***
(http://www.handa-accessories.com/insight/10mirror.pdf)

Follow the installation instructions provided to you with the Gentex Camlock Adapter. ***
(http://www.wembleysells.com/images/f...lustration.jpg)

Video Camera

Once you have installed the Mirror you want to leave the headliner down for a bit.

Straigten out the wire coat hanger and tape the video cable to the end of it. You are going to fish the cable from the front of the headliner to the middle of the headliner where the middle light is installed. Un-Tape the video cable from the hanger and remove the hanger. (If you hanger is long enough, you do not need to un-tape the video cable. Continue to fish the cable to the back of the headliner until you hit the edge where the trunk meets.

Partially remove the weather strip from the trunk top and gentley peek to see the video cable location. Push the cable partially through.

Undo the tape on the video cable and re-attach the tape when you are in the trunk. Now you are going to route the video cable to the side (either side is fine) of the vehicle.

--< use exteme caution AIR BAGS >--

Route cable to where the rubber seals are located on either side of the trunk. You are going to pass the cable through either one of these and to the back. Remove the trunk interior panels. Use the exisiting cable routes to (if possible (depending on how thick the video interface is on the end of your cable or create a new hole.

Attach your camera externally using temporary tape. You want to make sure the camera is working and it is positioned to the best vantage point.

One you have tested everything go ahead and secure the camera, reseal the weather seals, and close the panels.

I will have a complete picture guide shortly.

Thank you,

Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Backup Camera Installation

Additional Information:

If I didn't make it clear above, you will need only to purchase the wire harness for the Honda Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror (Not the entire kit).

You will need to purchase a Auto-Dimming or Standard Mirror with a Built-In LCD screen for the Camera.