Yet another autostop question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Yet another autostop question

Today was pretty cold for these parts. The high was around 35 degrees. When I dorove home, about a 15 minute drive, the autostop never engaged. The engine was warm. About halfway through the drive the heater was blowing very warm air and the water temp showed about 5 bars. The climate controls were set to auto and the econ button was on.

Is it normal for autostop not to work in weather this cold?

Clay

Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: Yet another autostop question

I heard brake pressure had to be right too, although 35 ain't too cold but I guess since you wanted warm air your were taxing the engine for awhile. try turning off the fan before you stop and turn it back on when you release your foot from the brake

Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by clayk
...Is it normal for autostop not to work in weather this cold?Clay
Yep. Just went through this myself with an 05 HCH. It states in the owners manual that AutoStop is disabled when the temps are near freezing.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess I missed that in the manual.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:38 PM

Ahh, but the manual lies! I found away around it. I've been able to coax autostop at 4F. Yes +04F or for those of you up north -15.6 or so C.

What is required is 1) engine is warm like normal, 2) fan is OFF not on auto or any other setting. 3) vent is on auto (I have seen it work with vent on defrost but my testing shows that its harder if the vent isn't on auto). 4) rear window defoggers are turned off.

If all these condidtions are met you can auto-stop at any temperature I have seen so far. I have an 03 so I can't speak for the 04 and 05 but I believe it to be the same.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Ahh, but the manual lies! I found away around it. I've been able to coax autostop at 4F. Yes +04F or for those of you up north -15.6 or so C.

What is required is 1) engine is warm like normal, 2) fan is OFF not on auto or any other setting. 3) vent is on auto (I have seen it work with vent on defrost but my testing shows that its harder if the vent isn't on auto). 4) rear window defoggers are turned off.

If all these condidtions are met you can auto-stop at any temperature I have seen so far. I have an 03 so I can't speak for the 04 and 05 but I believe it to be the same.

at 4F, why would you WANT to drive like that? Given the choice between saving 12 cents on gas or the ER charges for hypthermia.....

Old 12-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
at 4F, why would you WANT to drive like that? Given the choice between saving 12 cents on gas or the ER charges for hypthermia.....
In the literature it's called obssessive compulsive behavior.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM

I'm fine in my car. The car doesn't lose a lot of heat for the 30 seconds I'm at a stop sign without heat. Its about as much time as it takes me to wak to my car from my house in the morning and its a lot colder outside than in my car. I have yet to have to go to the ER for hypothermia from walking from my house to car so I'm not to concerned.

Just telling people its possible. I'll leave it as an excersie for the reader to find out otherways to keep warm for those 30 seconds the temperature starts dropping. Btw, if its 4f outside and 73 inside. How low will the temperature drop in 30 seconds? I know theres a formula out there somewhere.

BTW, read some of the threads about keeping cool with the AC off in summer. People are just showing whats possible. No one says anyone else has to follow what they do.