is it worth the extent warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: is it worth the extent warranty

Jeff, that seems like a lot of $$ even though you are talking about Canadian$$ right? I looked on Jayhondacare.com and they are showing a price of about 1k us$ for a 7/120k mile warranty.

I think it is a good idea to get an extended warranty especially if your dealership matches what you found on the net. My particular dealership sells the extended warranties where if you don't use the warranty, you can receive your money back after the warranty expiration.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Firstly Yes it is in Canadian Dollars and

Yes I think I got "hosed" on the price a bit after reading this forum.... probably/most likely could have "negotiated" a better price in hindsite. I wish I reviewed this site prior to my negotiations and purchase but no regrets. Cant fix what you dont know!

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I did in 2003 because it was the first run of the HCH. Normally, I do not. As Kenny said, that's why you buy a Honda.

Seems like those with high miles (80-100K) are having a good run. No tragic stories I've heard on this forum. I'm at 45K - it's at the dealer right now for service. They called - all is well except for an alignment. I'm beginning to believe my $1200 will be wasted. However, I have another 4 years to go under the warranty, which is nice.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with the Honda statement but then again there is a peace of mind about getting an extended warranty as long as you're not getting screwed for the cost of it. I also think an extended warranty might be a good idea due to this being relatively new technology, especially for the 06 HCH.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Since I do a lot of driving (>18K miles on my '05 in ~8.5 months), the extended warranty was worth it. Those who would likely run out of months on their factory warranty before running out of miles should leave well enough alone. JMHO.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I never buy extended warranties, not on electronics, not on home appliances, not on cars. These warranties are a major profit center for vendors, and if it's such a good deal for them it can't be a good deal for consumers.

My philosophy is to buy insurance for events that may be too expensive for me to bear financially. Losing my home, total loss of a car, major medical problems, are things worth buying insurance for. Anything you can bear financially, such as an appliance repair or car repair, is better to "self insure". In the long run you come out ahead, even if you run sometimes into one of those major repairs.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 PM

I always buy extended warranties, because if I ever need them, it's paid. Example: Just today I was contacting a retailer about a DVD player I bought in June 2004 which has a broken DVD door spring. DVD player cost $198 new. I paid $30 for a 3-year exchange policy. They are replacing it at no cost, thanks to the 3-year extended warranty.

It's just another form of "insurance" which "ensures" that you don't have to pay for something twice, or pay a huge, costly repair.

If you are like ElanC and have a lot of spare emergency money laying around,() then by all means save your money. But if you are like most people, and don't have huge reserves of cash to call upon, extended warranties can be a LIFE saver.....

Last edited by lars-ss; 12-22-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
If you are like ElanC and have a lot of spare emergency money laying around,() then by all means save your money. But if you are like most people, and don't have huge reserves of cash to call upon, extended warranties can be a LIFE saver.....
Maybe you don't have emergency money because you spend it all on extended warranties.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:40 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I always buy extended warranties, because if I ever need them, it's paid. Example: Just today I was contacting a retailer about a DVD player I bought in June 2004 which has a broken DVD door spring. DVD player cost $198 new. I paid $30 for a 3-year exchange policy. They are replacing it at no cost, thanks to the 3-year extended warranty.

It's just another form of "insurance" which "ensures" that you don't have to pay for something twice, or pay a huge, costly repair.

Hi Lars-ss,
I totally agree. It's like putting aside money in a health care flexible spending account. Let's face it, anything mechanical will eventually break down no matter how good the quality in mfg is and you should set aside money if you plan on fixing whatever breaks. If I allocate $1,000 for a warranty, then I have peace of mind knowing that the money is there if I need a major repair. That's all insurance is anyway, transferring the risk.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:44 PM

It's a gamble.

The odds are with the house.

Quick Reply: is it worth the extent warranty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands