"Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by tklaus
I just put down a $500 deposit on an 06 HCH. The dealer (Larry Hopkins Honda, Sunnyvale, CA) told me he expects a shipment of 10 in 3 weeks, and I'm 6th on the list.
Hi tklaus; Congrads on your HCH purshase:

Terry

Old 10-19-2005, 05:45 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Wait 6 months-save $2000

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Just wait.In 6 months-maybe 12 months-you will be able to get one for $500 less,and you will get the bigger tax break(at least $1500 more than currently).No one but the most committed greeny should even consider buying now .Of course,buying a vehicle isn't about just $$ and cents.You have a great car now,sit on it for a while(then sell it yourself).Luck,Charlie.
Negative depreciation-it is actually very rare to be able to sell a recently bought vehicle for more than you paid for it.Dealers NEVER give KBB type prices-more like 75-85% of KBB.Their 1st offer is usually below the lower end of the NADA price.
I follow Prius and other Hybrid prices(and more importantly actual sales) on Ebay.Now EBay might not be the best place to buy a vehicle,but it is a good indicator of what folks will pay.Right now,they won't pay MSRP for a used 2004 Prius-maybe 85-90%,but not MSRP.There is currently a NEW PRIUS with the side side curtains being offered for a BIN of $23400(a bit over true MSRP).
Very few folks have paid much less than $23000 for their new Prius,so there is no way anyone will offer you full MSRP for a used Hybrid-any used HYBRID.The depreciation is very,very low,but it isn't negative-you can't sell for a profit.Now some folks got $1500 off their Prius-they could get maybe 95% of their before TTL price.
If you decide to get a new Hybrid(and dump the old one),the smart play is to sell it yourself-the dealer will only give you about $3000 less than he would expect to sell it for.You could get $1500 or more of that $3000.
The Prius is still the hottest Hybrid(only one new one on EBAY)-there are many new Ford Escapes on EBay(10 OR MORE),and 5-6 HH's.HCH are kind of rare and probably go for a very decent percent of original price.There is always 3-4 Honda Accord Hybrids-new.
If a dealer is will to offer a new one on Ebay,it means no one locally is beating down his door.VERY,VERY few HH actually sell on Ebay-the dealers usually want close to a modified MSRP- which is MSRP+ dealer installed" stuff".
Folks who shop Ebay for cars aren't the suckers they are made out to be.No one is bidding"crazy money" for any of the hybrids(except maybe the salvage Prius-there is lots of insider shill bidding going on on them)Luck,Charlie
Hi Charlie; Thanks for the Info.; situation has been resolved today. I will post results later.

Thanks-Again

Terry

Old 10-19-2005, 05:48 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
AWESOME advice! Terry, I hope you read this. Keep in mind how much you're already saving by driving a very fuel efficient car as it is, and if you need some instant gratification while waiting for the next one, just think of it this way: the fact that you're even here, posting, reading, and sharing on GH means your FE is rising no matter what you drive. Take satisfaction in the fact that you're already gaining in that mark, even before you buy a hybrid - which is why you're buying one in the first place!
Hi Michael; Thanks pal; situation has been resolved as of this afternoon. Will post results later.

Thanks-Again

Terry

Old 10-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Hi Terry,

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. I second the comments of EricGo and helterskelter683 above. Cheer up.

Andy

Old 10-20-2005, 03:57 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Fellow Members & Visitors:

Just a very Quick update to this (Situation). I have as of yesterday contacted another Honda dealer in another State and made a deal with that dealer to purchase the "Exact" same HCH with the "Exact" same Accessories installed on the HCH.

I will meet that dealer at 9:00AM Saturday Oct. 22nd and after I have that meeting with the Former G/M of that store I will Post the results of that meeting.

I have really appreciated all of your comments and in some or I should say to the ones of you that showed a real concern and thought as I did that this (Next-Door) Honda dealer has Little or No-Ethics I (THANK-YOU).

Terry

BTW: Stay-Tuned you will find my next post (Extremely) interesting:

Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Good going tiger!!

Hope the meeting goes well. Car buying anymore has got to the point one mite need to take a lawyer along. Or at the very least take a lenght of rope and a clear plastic trash bag. Guns make alot of noise.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:17 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Everyone: Situation Has Been (HANDLED) On Sat. 22nd Oct.

(READ-BELOW)

This is a "Very-Sad" post to me but here goes.

HCH W/Nav. & Accessories + Shipping..................................... $26,186.00
Total Labor To Install Accessories....................................... ......... 2,018.00
.................................................. .......................................Total $28,204.00

The Total For All The Accessories was $2,286.00
So to summarize this; my dealer is wanting to charge me full MSRP for vehicle and Full List for all the Accessories and then charge me ($2018.00) Labor to install the Accessories.

If this is not bad enough, then I am suppose to take a ($4,500.00) Hit on my 2005 Civic purchased from same dealer with 7,000 miles on it and not a scratch on it period. Approx. 7-Months old.

Next I am also expected to pay a (Processing-Fee) of ($298.00) to do the paper work.

So here is the bottom line to all of this, I owe "$7,000.00" Dollars on a 6-Month old new Civic and if I took them up on this 06 HCH I will end up owing "21,647.88" or (3-Times) what my balance is on my 2005 Civic.

I just cannot see it, so I called Dealer and said your "Free" to sell incoming 06 HCH to next person on your list of I just got to have it and don't care about price (Person).

I have purchased 7-8 Hondas from this dealer and their new philosophy is, full list on everything concerning the 06 HCH know matter who it is. I'm just glad that I went ahead today and pressed for the bottom line price and did not wait until the vehicle showed up to find out the new "Terms" if you will.

So, sad as it is for me to type this post I think it will be a guide to others to not take the pricing of this new 06 HCH for granted or a verbal/handshake deal, you better have it in writing and use this post as an example as to how dealers treat their old customers when it comes right down to (Profit). Friendship is out the door and Profit is in. As they say, "Buyer-Beware"

Terry
As I Promised Everyone:

I met with the Dealer in "Bowling-Green-Ky." (Gary Force Honda) this morning 22nd of Oct. at 9:00 AM and finalized the purchase of a 2006 HCH. They were as one would hope all dealers would be and that is
(Courteous, Ethical & Professional) from the first phone call this week to our actual meeting this Sat. morning.

Let's talk numbers: Gary Force Honda was ($2,000.00) less than the Honda Dealer (Darrell Waltrip Honda) in Franklin, TN.; my next door neighbor to my dealership. Gary Force Honda also went ahead and took my Honda Civic and paid off the remaining balance, plus are you ready for this? When I got there they had a (Loaner-Car-Ready) for me to drive Full of Gas and Cleaned up until my 2006 HCH arrives in Jan. or Feb. 2006. The reason for the 1st of the Year delivery is the "TAX-Credit" and so they said we will arrange to deliver your 2006 HCH after Jan. 1st so you can take full advantage of the Tax Credit, just keep the loaner and since we are paying your 2005 Civic off come Monday Oct. 24th you can save the monthly pmts. you would be sending in to Honda Credit and put that against your 2006 HCH when you take delivery of it after Jan. 1st. So that should give you an additional savings of ($450.00). Now if I am reading the Tax Credit List correctly it says the Honda Civic with Auto is ($2,100.00) for 2006 starting in Jan.

So in summary, I would have to say without any doubt at all that if you
(Do-Not) like the deal you're getting from your local dealer even if it is a pain to go elsewhere, take my advise and what you are reading here, don't look back. "Shop-Other-Dealers".

I think that I failed to mention in the above remarks that I did all this deal with (Gary Force Honda) over the (Phone And Fax Machine) and had never seen the Dealership or met any of their Employees or Management. The reason for the meeting today (Sat. 22nd Oct.) was to drop off my Civic and pick up the loaner car until my 06 HCH arrives 1st of the Year. Before this morning I had never laid eyes on anyone there or its employees. I ran a Map (Rand Mcnally) to find the dealership.

So, I hope this little story and my personal experience in this endeavor will (Help) others that are getting "Jerked-Around" or will be and use this as a guide to getting a better Deal and to be treated the way we all should spending our hard earned (Monies).

In case you're wondering, Gary Force Honda is ordering the "Exact" same 06 HCH Honda with the "Exact" same Options. The difference in pricing is just the difference in one Dealer (Darrell Waltrip Honda) being over "Greedy" and the other Dealer (Gary Force Honda) willing to make a
"Fair And Reasonable Profit.

Terry

.........................$2,000.00 Gary Force Honda
...........................2,100.00 Tax Credit
..............................450.00 Savings In Pmts.
.........................._____________
.TOTAL Savings: $4,550.00 WOW

........................................"Free-Loaner-Car" (For 4 Months)

................................."Worth-Changing-Dealers" ?????

MSNBC.com

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9052541/

This is the table I used for tax credit:

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-22-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:21 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)-WOW!Congrats

WOW,my kind of deal.The dealers have everyone slightly snowed with the"if you don't buy it someone else will'in respect to Hybrids.There is not an unlimited pool of folks willing to pay $25000+(about the price of a HCH or a Prius).Gas prices are dropping folks have short memories-oil is $60/b not 70/b.
In respect to the fellow who suggested that the price won't drop by $500 in the next 6 months-The price of Priuses did drop to well under MSRP in most parts of the country prior to Katrina(this was a considerable drop-at one time Prius 2's were going for maybe MSRP+$2000 on average).Post Katrina the prices went back to MSRP,but they are dropping a tiny bit.Of course,we aren't discussing the Prius,but the HCH.The HCH is a bit less desirable to the general public than the Prius becuase the Prius gets all the press ,and it has significantly better EPA numbers(several mpgs better).Of course in real life folks here know that the HCH with a manual was very close to the Prius 2 in mpg,and the CVT is just 3-4 mpg "short' of the Prius 2.The 2006 HCH will probably be nipping at the Prius's heals in respect to mpg.
If gas prices drop,the hybrid markup will drop-simple.I'm guessing prices will continue to drop.Just a guess,of course.A lot of folks who were going to wait till Jan 2006 bought early because of the shock of $3 gas.These folks won't be in the market in Jan 2006,so Feb or March might be a very good time to buy a hybrid-especially slightly less desirable ones like the Accord,HH,and Escape.The Prius and the HCH will remain "hot",but they won't be a hot as they were 6 weeks ago.If Toyota ramps up production a $20000 Prius might be possible in 1 year or so(especially when the Camry and Altima come out).Always an optimist.Charlie.
Tiger $4500 less and a free car to put miles on-GREAT DEAL!!

Old 10-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

I did the same thng in Gainesville. GA for about the same reasons. I'm quite happy with my 2004 HCH and I'm not going to give it away and pay full MSRP for an '06.

Lucas

Old 10-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)-WOW!Congrats

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
folks have short memories
i guess they do. i don't understand how people could be like... "hmmm gas was >$3.00 a few weeks ago, i think what i need to buy is an SUV that gets 15 mpg." just because gas prices are going down/aren't as high as they have been doesn't mean they are going to stay that way. are people really buying SUVs and giant trucks now?

what kind of loaner car did you get terry? glad to hear you found a better dealer!

Quick Reply: "Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands