"Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned
Default Is This an Option?

1. Sell the Civic yourself for the most money
  2. Get the best deal on a 2006 HCH
  3. Talk to the manager at the Honda dealership after you did business elsewhere...

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-19-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by dshelman
Anyone else heard about the possible 3 week delay on the HCH's?
Don
I just put down a $500 deposit on an 06 HCH. The dealer (Larry Hopkins Honda, Sunnyvale, CA) told me he expects a shipment of 10 in 3 weeks, and I'm 6th on the list.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:26 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Originally Posted by lkewin
No. I just checked the Hondanews.com website, which is the site the press access for latest news releases, pictures, etc. and there is mention of the delay. The original press release advising "The 2006 Civic Hybrid... goes on sale October 19" is still there. Was the "delay" documented in an article or just from a dealer conversation?

What does "goes on sale October 19th" mean ? Is this when the delaers submit the orders they have been collecting?
Usually when it "goes on sale", the cars are on the lot. This is how it was with my Odys and Pilot.

I just got a call from my salesman. He claims that nobody has the '06 HCH yet as they were delayed by three weeks being shipped from Japan. They are not expecting delivery until mid November.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:18 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Wait 6 months-save $2000

Just wait.In 6 months-maybe 12 months-you will be able to get one for $500 less,and you will get the bigger tax break(at least $1500 more than currently).No one but the most committed greeny should even consider buying now .Of course,buying a vehicle isn't about just $$ and cents.You have a great car now,sit on it for a while(then sell it yourself).Luck,Charlie.
Negative depreciation-it is actually very rare to be able to sell a recently bought vehicle for more than you paid for it.Dealers NEVER give KBB type prices-more like 75-85% of KBB.Their 1st offer is usually below the lower end of the NADA price.
I follow Prius and other Hybrid prices(and more importantly actual sales) on Ebay.Now EBay might not be the best place to buy a vehicle,but it is a good indicator of what folks will pay.Right now,they won't pay MSRP for a used 2004 Prius-maybe 85-90%,but not MSRP.There is currently a NEW PRIUS with the side side curtains being offered for a BIN of $23400(a bit over true MSRP).
Very few folks have paid much less than $23000 for their new Prius,so there is no way anyone will offer you full MSRP for a used Hybrid-any used HYBRID.The depreciation is very,very low,but it isn't negative-you can't sell for a profit.Now some folks got $1500 off their Prius-they could get maybe 95% of their before TTL price.
If you decide to get a new Hybrid(and dump the old one),the smart play is to sell it yourself-the dealer will only give you about $3000 less than he would expect to sell it for.You could get $1500 or more of that $3000.
The Prius is still the hottest Hybrid(only one new one on EBAY)-there are many new Ford Escapes on EBay(10 OR MORE),and 5-6 HH's.HCH are kind of rare and probably go for a very decent percent of original price.There is always 3-4 Honda Accord Hybrids-new.
If a dealer is will to offer a new one on Ebay,it means no one locally is beating down his door.VERY,VERY few HH actually sell on Ebay-the dealers usually want close to a modified MSRP- which is MSRP+ dealer installed" stuff".
Folks who shop Ebay for cars aren't the suckers they are made out to be.No one is bidding"crazy money" for any of the hybrids(except maybe the salvage Prius-there is lots of insider shill bidding going on on them)Luck,Charlie

Old 10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Wait 6 months-save $2000

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
No one but the most committed greeny should even consider buying now .
And people worried about the HOV stickers in CA running out

Old 10-19-2005, 04:36 PM

How can you say the car can be bought for $500 less in 6 months? The Prius II has been out for two years and it still sells for *at least* MSRP.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EricGo
Hi Terry,

I'd say you are in the throes of impulse buying, and have a high chance of suffering buyer's remorse if you do not back off.

You have an excellent car right now, in all respects: MPG, reliability, etc. So there is no rush. I assure you -- you will enjoy your next new car just as much for the first year whether you buy it tommorow, or next year. That is the way consumerism works

In the meantime, let the market and greedy dealers cool off, and think about selling your car privately at your own pace and for a reasonable price.

Be relieved and proud that you are not one of the herd that bought a gas guzzling monster SUV.
AWESOME advice! Terry, I hope you read this. Keep in mind how much you're already saving by driving a very fuel efficient car as it is, and if you need some instant gratification while waiting for the next one, just think of it this way: the fact that you're even here, posting, reading, and sharing on GH means your FE is rising no matter what you drive. Take satisfaction in the fact that you're already gaining in that mark, even before you buy a hybrid - which is why you're buying one in the first place!

Old 10-19-2005, 05:30 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by Tim
Terry,

I completely blew past your comment that they were asking you to take a $4500 hit on your 05. That is absolute nonsense. When I toyed with the idea of moving from my 03 HCH to an 05 HAH, the dealer I spoke to offered me $15000 in trade for my almost 3-year old car with (then) 40K miles. That's only $6K off the price I paid for it - not bad at all in my mind. We know, and these dealers know, that used hybrids will fly off the lot. You're sitting on a gem - make them pay for it.

Dealers will talk themselves into believing that because of a car's perceived demand, they can get all crazy about what they sell them for. Your strategy of talking to a variety of dealers will help. With my 03 I talked to dealers in about a 100 mile radius from where I live. The one dealer closest wanted a $2K markup above sticker. Another dealer 90 miles down the road did not. When I went to negotiate (at the closer dealer), the sales person and I "agreed" that $2K was worth a 90 mile drive and if they wanted to sell me the car, that little mark up was not enter into our conversation at any point (and it didn't).

You know, regardless of what you pay someone you know (or on this board) will have paid less. Always happens. I hope you find an agreeable situation soon and get on with the business of enjoying your new car.
Hi Paul; and Thank-You for your comments. I already have moved on to another dealer in another state and will (Post-Those-Results) soon.

Thanks-Again

Terry

Old 10-19-2005, 05:35 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by EricGo
Hi Terry,

I'd say you are in the throes of impulse buying, and have a high chance of suffering buyer's remorse if you do not back off.

You have an excellent car right now, in all respects: MPG, reliability, etc. So there is no rush. I assure you -- you will enjoy your next new car just as much for the first year whether you buy it tommorow, or next year. That is the way consumerism works

In the meantime, let the market and greedy dealers cool off, and think about selling your car privately at your own pace and for a reasonable price.

Be relieved and proud that you are not one of the herd that bought a gas guzzling monster SUV.
Hi EricGo; Situation has been solved and your comments are always welcome. I'll post soon the results from a different dealer in another state.

Thanks-Again

Terry

Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Is This an Option?

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
  1. Sell the Civic yourself for the most money<
  2. Get the best deal on a 2006 HCH<
  3. Talk to the manager at the Honda dealership after you did business elsewhere...<
Hi Chuck; my deposit was returned from the Honda dealer next door in person and sense then I have corrected the purchasing problem; Will post those results soon; Thanks;

Terry

Quick Reply: "Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands