what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Originally Posted by zimbop
I don't have a remote yet because I bought it used and it didn't come with one, plus I have a problem shelling out $70 for one, especially since I don't want to have to carry it around. I have a facility-oriented job and I carry a lot of keys so bulky stuff like that is not easy for me to carry around. Plus, that's no excuse, the car should be easy to use with or without the remote.

[Note here that my other cars with remotes do allow me to lock the drivers door in other ways without the key, so while the remote would provide an alternate method with the HCH, I still see it as a shortcoming that without the remote I must use the key. ]

I have not tried pushing down on the button while holding up the handle. On my older cars I could push down the lock button then lift the handle to close the door and keep it locked. That's what I tried so far and that doesn't work because the button wouldn't go down at all if the door was open. I will try your method tonight. Thanks.

-A-
If you ever decide you want a remote you can get them off eBay cheap. I paid like $15 shipped for my spare. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I hope Honda is reading this.

I hate the chrome cover around the transmission shifter of my 2004 HCH CVT AT-PZEV.
(I'm sure it is not real chrome metal, but plastic with chrome-looking paint.)
It reflects the sun into my eyes every day when I drive home from work.

VERY ANNOYING!
I have to put a dark towel over it.

Honda is usually so good about this stuff.
How could they miss this one?

I was considering taking sand paper to it to buff down the reflective glare.
But that would probably make it look like crap.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:21 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by kenny
I hope Honda is reading this.

I hate the chrome cover around the transmission shifter of my 2004 HCH CVT AT-PZEV.
(I'm sure it is not real chrome metal, but plastic with chrome-looking paint.)
It reflects the sun into my eyes every day when I drive home from work.

VERY ANNOYING!
I have to put a dark towel over it.

Honda is usually so good about this stuff.
How could they miss this one?

I was considering taking sand paper to it to buff down the reflective glare.
But that would probably make it look like crap.
I second that! Actually I thought it was quite classy looking when I got it and still like it but at particular times of the day when I'm going in a particular direction...ZAP..I'm blinded.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:31 PM

One more annoyance I was reminded of on my way home tonight - the right side mirror is much more wide angle and distorted than your average car's. As such it is extremely difficult to judge distance with it. I wish they'd stop trying to cover the blind spot with that mirror and leave you to add a roundie yourself. That way you'd get a flat enough mirror better for judging distance and for backing up.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wangofree
Honda must have corrected this in 05. I just came in from trying it on the driver and passenger door. Door locks, with door open, by pulling up on handle and depressing the lock, then shutting the door.

Too bad yours doesn't lock that way, I see where it would be a hassle. Can you get a FOB off eBay that's cheaper?
I think it will work for him - he just misunderstood one poster's description. He thought you open the door, lock it and then from the outside, hold up the handle while closing the door. I remember this from older American cars.

The method of holding the inside handle while locking has worked on every Honda I have owned from my 80 Accord hatchback, to my 88 Accord Sedan to my 2001 Odyssey. I did not try it in my 2004 Civic yet - I have only owned it since Monday and it is in the shop to get some panels aligned - something the dealer agreed to do when I bought it (used).

It'll work.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger
I second that! Actually I thought it was quite classy looking when I got it and still like it but at particular times of the day when I'm going in a particular direction...ZAP..I'm blinded.
am i the only one that gets blinded by the oversized "H" (Honda) logo on the steering wheel as well? granted, i think both the chrome surround of the gear shifter and the Honda logo on the steering wheel look great, but they seem to have positioned them on a perfect angle so that when sun hits them they beam light directly into your eyes

Old 08-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I'd like the MPG estimate to be calcluated directly as opposed to converted from KmpL or whatever the metric acronym is, to avoid the .4/.3 increments.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
World's First Hybrid

No time delay on the power windows when you turn the key off. Every Honda I own has this feature except the HCH unless mine has malfunctioned. I usually have to remember to keep my foot on the brake in D when I pull into my space then raise the windows then put it in park then shut of the engine.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:34 AM

As for locking the car... thanks to those who suggested holding up the handle while pushing down the button. I tried it and it does indeed work on my car. However, how's a person supposed to accomplish that with anything in their hands? A two-handed operation is the best thing they could come up with? What a PITA. Stop trying to save me from myself and just let me lock my car for crying out loud.

I have about 350 miles on mine now and getting 40.1 mpg. Nowhere near the 47/48 I was promised, but I am driving it like a regular car. Sticker mileage should be attainable under normal driving don't you think? I mean I could exceed the sticker mileage in any car doing extreme conservation techniques, why must we go to extremes just to get to sticker mileage on this car?

Old 08-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast

Zimbop, I'm glad to hear that it works. I have no trouble locking the door with one hand. Just pull the handle with your ring finger and pinkie and while holding it, push down on the lock button with your index finger.

Quick Reply: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands