what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

While I love my 03 HCH, I really wish they'd fix:

1. Autostop needs to trigger all the time, not only after you go 10 MPH
2. I'd like a button to manually engage the autostop (if they don't do #1)
3. Yes, trunk release on the vob
4. Factory satellite ratio as an option
5. Folding rear seats (and cup holders back there)
6. More sound supression (lots of road noise)
7. A/C stays on during autostop (or at least on with reduced flow)
8. That CD holder in the dash is too short - needs to be deeper so you can put CDs in there with the title facing out.
9. Steering-wheel mounted audio controls

Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't like the external antenna.
I have to put it down so it doesn't hit my garage door.
Then after clearing the garage I have to get out and put it back up or I will get bad reception.

The clearance under the front air dam is too low; it scrapes on those blocks in parking lots.

The MPG on the dash doesn not match the pump.

My AT-PZEV has a 10-gallon gas tank instead of the 13-gallon ones that the HCHs in the dirty states have.
Low-end stereo.
No window curtain airbag.
No 4-wheel disc brakes.
No full-sized spare tire.
No sunroof.
No leather seat option - I don't want to have to buy a bigger car to get leather.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

i'll second the:
-no sunroof
-no curtain airbag (this should at the very least be an option i would think)
-A/C during auto-stop would be very nice, when i'm auto-stopped for too long i have to roll my windows down so i dont suffocate
-i do miss my steering wheel mounted audio controls of my old car

Old 08-10-2005, 02:48 PM
hyperactive enthusiast

sorry HG- did not mean to misquote you! just remembered something about trauma in a long ago post.
my point here being- even with my cvt transmission in neutral, when I reboot coasting at 25-30mph (I won't try it any faster) the car lurches- why it would do that when it's not even in gear, I don't know- but it gives me the *******. (not to mention loss of power brakes after the vacuume is gone)

but I third & fourth Kenny & infinite loop:

I REALLY HATE donut spares- and I don't think you even have the option of fitting in a full size spare if you wanted to (which I would)
and-
it's no fair you guys get to do 800 mile tanks, when I have that little pzev tank and can't even compete. (did do a 600 mile tank today- which is a personal best)
sound suppression is always good- my car is WAY noisier when the roads are wet- anyone else notice that?

Old 08-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I think you can fit a full size in the trunk. And my car (CVT) doesn't lurch when I reboot at pretty much any speed (I mostly drive at around 35-50mph

Old 08-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I think you can fit a full size in the trunk.
I blew out a tire last week, and the OEM tire does not fit in the trunk well (I hate mini-spares too).

~Droid

Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My only three really big complaints:

-THE STOCK CD PLAYER SUCKS SO BAD I CAN'T STAND IT. And it's easy to do something about, but now I'm eyeing the 2006, so I don't want to put in a super nice system if I'm trading it in in a few months. Does anyone know if the '06 HCH will come in a coupe version?

-trunk relase on remote fob (WTF are they thinking? I rented a Chevy Cavalier once that had a remote trunk release)!!!

-sunroof option (why not?).

I do agree that a manual auto stop feature would be nice, but I'd also worry about that as being one more complicated componet system that could fail. So I stick with my top three, more asthetic peeves rather than mention it.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

I have to agree with all the complaints/suggestions posted thus far.

So far I've scraped the passenger door trim (someone else's fault)

Also scraped up one of the alloy wheel covers (my fault - who put that curb there?!) and ripped up the bottom edge of the front whatever-that-thing-that-hangs-down-almost-to-the-ground-is-called.
Replaced the crummy CD player with better one that also plays MP3s
Just had an after-market sunroof installed on Monday (BTW - the dealer showed me a memo dated 3/29/05 from Honda warning dealers not to install sunroofs anymore.)

I'd like an override to force auto-stop after I've been creeping in traffic for awhile and my HCH decides she's done doing the whole auto-stop thing (I think this was suggested in another post; but I'm not certain it's the same thing. )

The re-locking "feature" freaks me out. I'd like a way to turn that off (maybe I can and I just haven't found it?)

In addition, I'd love a quick patch into the IMA battery so I can install solar panels on the roof. Why should "hybrid" only mean TWO power sources?

Old 08-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

I'd be real surprised if you could get any kind of compatibility between the IMA pack and a batch of solar panels on the roof. The pack runs at 140v (?) so you would need maybe eight or ten standard solar panels in series, or else have to build a dc to dc converter. Or maybe I don't understand the the electronics built into the HCH?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

ARRGRRRRAH, I BOUGHT OUR 2005 TOO SOON!!!

Seriously, I am salivating over the 06 engine "upgrade". I keep telling myself that it "only" adds 5% more gas mileage, but so much more POWER!! If I had known what was coming, I might have waited for the 06. The new design allows "Prius like" electric motor movement from a stop, 3 different valve configurations, ion plated pistons, electric assisted ac so it runs in Autostop, and a few more cool things.

Took our car in after 3,000 miles to get the rear quarter panel fixed. Sticking out about 1/4". Dealer said some clips were messed up. Not sure how that would happen since car hasn't been in an accident. But at least the highway speed "whistling" has stopped.

Still, LOVE the car.

Quick Reply: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands