Upgrading audio in Nav model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Upgrading audio in Nav model?

I've had my HCH now for about four months, and though I still enjoy it there's one thing that I simply can't get over and that's the crappy sounding stereo. AM/FM or CD bleck. Granted, I'm a bit of an audio snob, but this is the worst sounding car stereo I've had in years.

I've done some preliminary research into upgrading the sound, but so far it doesn't look (or in this case sound good.

Anyone done this already? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading audio in Nav model?

Find a good Audio store who is knowledgable about this generation of civics. Simply pop in 6 new quality speakers and you'll be thrilled how much better this system will sound. The original speakers are cheap. No real need to add an amp, etc. Ask around at your Honda dealer if they know a good Audio shop.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:13 PM
EKL
Active Enthusiast

I added a new 400Watts AMP and 6 new speakers (two 1" and four 6.5") with x-over....and sound great!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an 07 with the navi and i just replaced the front 4 speakers. It made a huge difference. I am going to be purchasing a small powered sub woofer unit that installs under the seat to fill in the low end a little and then replace the rear speakers.

One concern is that if the music is up loud enough to enjoy when the navigation prompts are spoken the front speakers attenuate but the rears don't and you cannot hear the spoken prompts.

the head unit is an alpine in the navi equipped cars, which is why i purchased the option, so i felt even less compelled to install amps. It sounds a ton better with just new component speakers.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Energy Independence

twuelfing,
What kind of component speakers did you get for the fronts? I'm partial to the MB Quarts that I have in the Benz, but they are quite pricey.

Also, what powered sub are you getting?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I put in alpine fronts, I had focals in my last car, they were nice, but not worth the price. I wanted something reasonable but not great as the factory head unit isnt amazing so super high end speakers wouldnt really mean much with the mediocre amp and tiny speaker wire.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099388651456

I am looking at either a kenwood or clarion compact subwoofer. The kenwood has a passive device that is promising, the clarion is all aluminum. They aren't going to be great, but they will fill in the low end a bit.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiffnme
I've had my HCH now for about four months, and though I still enjoy it there's one thing that I simply can't get over and that's the crappy sounding stereo. AM/FM or CD bleck. Granted, I'm a bit of an audio snob, but this is the worst sounding car stereo I've had in years.

I've done some preliminary research into upgrading the sound, but so far it doesn't look (or in this case sound good.

Anyone done this already? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Mine sounds pretty good with The Bee Gees cranking