Upgrading sound system with NAV installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Upgrading sound system with NAV installed

Hello All,

I've had my 06' FEH for a few months now and like everything except Ford's sound system, however, I also have the navigation system installed. I am considering upgrading the speakers and adding an amplifier and making use of the currently installed head unit and 6-cd changer. I don't want to chance screwing up the already installed OEM components especially the NAV system. Anyone else had any experience with sound system upgrades and/or add-ons - any problems with doing so?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading sound system with NAV installed

I also have the factory Nav system and I upgraded the speakers the first week I had my Hybrid. I used Boston Accoustics FS80 Component Speakers in the front and Boston Accoustics FX8s in the rear. These are a marked improvement over the relative junk that Ford supplied. While I had the door panels off I also installed Dynamat Extreme. I encountered no real issues during the install. I mounted the Boston tweeters in the factory sail panels using brackets. The new crossovers mounted in the doors, well in front of the windows...there is plenty of room. Very pleased with the results.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what Dynamat Extreme is - can you elaborate?

Did you install any amplifiers? Thanks

Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 AM

In almost every case of "upgrade recommendations" I've read, people always say that you will see more improvement upgrading your speakers than you will upgrading your headunit. In other words, old HU with new speakers is better than new HU old speakers. Also, I think you get more bang for the buck from speakers and you don't have to worry about appearance or "looking factory".

Last edited by Tim K; 06-10-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Organist6226
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what Dynamat Extreme is - can you elaborate?
http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...roduction.html

Google is your friend -- more related links

Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
In almost every case of "upgrade recommendations" I've read, people always say that you will see more improvement upgrading your speakers than you will upgrading your headunit. In other words, old HU with new speakers is better than new HU old speakers. Also, I think you get more bang for the buck from speakers and you don't have to worry about appearance or "looking factory".
I am of the "upgrade the speakers first" school especially if the head unit is decent. If you have the factory Nav/Hybrid information system I think you are pretty well locked in.

Dynamat Extreme is a sound deadening/vibration damping product sold in sheets. You cut it to size and then it is peel and stick. It is very popular among the performance car audio crowd. It is pricey, but you can find it more reasonably priced on Ebay. Read the ads carefully, though, as some sellers will send you a sample of Dynamat along with the advertised amount of some knock off brand.

Last edited by GatorJ; 06-06-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 PM

GatorJ

Okay.... sails, front, rear.... thats 6 speakers. Anyone know whats behind that grill on the right hand side in the cargo area? Not the tiny one near the window (I think thats a little speaker to beep at you for the backup sensors but I could be wrong)... whats behind that big round one on the same side?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
GatorJ

Okay.... sails, front, rear.... thats 6 speakers. Anyone know whats behind that grill on the right hand side in the cargo area? Not the tiny one near the window (I think thats a little speaker to beep at you for the backup sensors but I could be wrong)... whats behind that big round one on the same side?

It is an 8" powered subwoofer.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM

Sorry... question wasn't specific enough. Is there a sub in there from the factory? Or did you put one in/upgrade it.

I'm thinking about doing this as well. The higher end head units from the factory aren't that bad... but the speakers they use..... are trash.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Sorry... question wasn't specific enough. Is there a sub in there from the factory? Or did you put one in/upgrade it.

I'm thinking about doing this as well. The higher end head units from the factory aren't that bad... but the speakers they use..... are trash.
You have an 8" powered subwoofer courtesy of Ford.

Quick Reply: Upgrading sound system with NAV installed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands