Rough Restart

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Rough Restart

We got our HCH2 a few weeks ago and it seems to me that when you're at auto-stop and take your foot off the break, the engine restarts itself with a bit of a jerk that I didn't notice in the one we test-drove. It may just be my imagination. The mechanic at the dealership said it was normal. It's not particularly bothersome, but I really thought the test-drive car did it more smoothly.

Also, has anyone noticed a bit of surging when you hold a steady 7mph? (It doesn't do it at any other speed, just 7mph.)

Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rough Restart

Yes, I have a new HCH as well and notice a start after auto-stop is just a little rough. I think that is the normal behavior (I've driven on other HCHII and it seemed about the same). I haven't noticed any surges at 7mph, but then it's not a speed I generally maintain - I'll try to check it out when I have a chance.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:48 AM

I noticed a bit of a difference in the auto-start going off but my last one was an '04 manual so I figured that was the cause...guess not.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:22 PM

It does, but give it a little of time before you press your foot on the gas, and it should be down to a minimum.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by blinkard
Also, has anyone noticed a bit of surging when you hold a steady 7mph? (It doesn't do it at any other speed, just 7mph.)
I've noticed the surge on occassion. It seems to have something to do with slowing down very slowly. But since AS kicks in at 7 mph, I have always assumed that it was preparing to AS, then I maybe gave it a little gas or let my foot off the brake a little or something that caused the ICE to try to shut down, then immediately jerk back on, causing the surge. My pure guess...

Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 PM

I think that's just the transmission "feathering" the clutch in and out to prevent the engine from stalling out. The CVTs don't have a fluid coupling like most automatics, so there is a specific "latching" point where the transmission makes a firm connection with the engine, and that's around 7-8mph. If I am going to be rolling at that speed for a while, such as around a parking lot, I'll just shift into neutral until I know I need to accelerate.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's definately noticeable and the biggest hurdle to getting used to the car, contrary to many auto reviews where they describe the Prius and HCH as 'unnoticeable' when the gas engine engages - they probably take the manufacturers words directly. Now i barely even notice it engaging - its a lot smoother than my previous 5 spd anyway.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Enthusiastically Active

We have had ours since November and I used to notice this. Not sure if it has gotten smoother as it broken in or I got used to it, but I don't notice it at all now.