Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Proud new owner of a 2006 w/leather seats

Nice. Congrats !!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by e30driver
damage,
The job looks very clean and very "factory." The best part about it is that you got it from the dealer so there should be no problem with the airbags, which was my first concern when debating whether or not to use a seat cover.
BR,
Mike G.
Tafetta with the scotch guarded interior.
Mike G., can you elaborate on what the airbag concern is with regard to aftermarket seatcovers? Thx.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalemccl
Mike G., can you elaborate on what the airbag concern is with regard to aftermarket seatcovers? Thx.
There are side airbags in the seat backs. If the seat covers are not adapted for them, the airbags may not deploy or may deploy improperly and cause injury.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Energy Independence

This is in fact, THE REASON many dealers will not do non-factory leather anymore. They do not want any added Airbag liability risks. They may point you to a shop where you can get it done, but THEY won't do it or have it done for you.

Some dealers still will. There's good money in it, still.

Supposedly, the leather has a "weak seam" on the side where the side air-bag is. This is so that the force of the airbag would split the leather at this seam, when coming out. That's what I've been told.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
enthusiast of some sort

Originally Posted by dalemccl
dalemccl,
I was in the market for some wet okoles and the salesman said they were "tested." hmmm. They had to be custom made at the shop which meant they didn't have any I could see and touch that would fit my car at that moment. I decided to scotch guard the seats instead.

Years ago, I had old school seatcovers on another car, they seemed simple enough to slip on over (snug) like everything else at that time. The airbag symbol on the side of my seat made me wonder if a piece of velcro, weak seam or split on the seatcover would be an invisible obstacle if it ever deployed. I wouldn't want the nitrogen filled bag to take a few milliseconds longer than they have to since occupants are even closer to the side of the car than the front airbags.

Fairways and greens,
Mike G.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info regarding the possible problem with add-on leather tand the side airbags.

Although I really want leather, the airbag thing has me concerned. I doubt that a local shop can reliably make a proper "weak seam", or at least it would be impossible for them to test it to make sure it works -- unless it is a standard set of leather that Honda has tested and approved.

I plan to order a 2007 HCH2 and am "hoping" Honda makes factory installed leather available as an option for 2007. Anyone know how long before a new model year that Honda makes known the changes that are going to be made to the car?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:42 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Hey, Is that "baby seal" grade leather?

All kidding aside, those look great! I like leather too for the added comfort. The wife hates leather (tree hugger) so I doubt I'll have leather in any of my cars anytime soon.

The door panel inserts and armrest are really nice added touchs. I wish Honda would take note to make it a bit more comparable to the Prius. Of course I wish they did a hatchback but that's a whole other thread.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Very nice interior. I have/had (it's getting advertised this week) leather in my Insight and it actually made it comfortable. Katzkin made the patterns for the Insight, I'm betting they have one for the Civic or will soon. They also have special considerations for the air bags. Their site is flash based so I can't provide a direct link, but:

www.katzkin.com and click on "Saftey/OCS". They've done some pretty extensive research to make sure their interiors are safe for these air bags. I recall them actually having a video on their site showing a side air bag going off with a stock seat and then again with their cover and the result was the same. I can not find this video any more though.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Energy Independence

Thanks, Rick.
Good site (katzkin).

No listing for 2006 Civics, yet. Also the search site suggests you call, as they have many more patterns.