Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Default Re: Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Originally Posted by jbtaco2002
dealership is in Chula Vista, Ca. not sure if i can say the name on here...
Of course you can, as long as you are not a Honda dealer yourself. I'm in San Diego as well and I see two Honda dealers in Chula Vista: Fuller and Tipton. Which one was it? I've seen some bad dealers around SD, for example Pacific Honda in Kearny Mesa that charges $2000 markup for a 2005 HCH (!). And that was back in July before the recent gas hike.

Therefore I've been in contact not just with some San Diego dealers but also with Los Angeles ones. Southern California is densely populated; it's foolish in my opinion not to take advantage of that by looking beyond just your own town. At the very least, there's Encinitas, Escondido, Carlsbad, Del Mar, etc.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Originally Posted by supermathis
Wish I new what MSRP was, but I'm assuming estimates of $21,500 (including delivery cost) is real.
IIRC, Consumer Reports has that information. For a nominal fee, they'll send you a printout showing MSRP & dealer cost for the car itself & all available options.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
IIRC, Consumer Reports has that information. For a nominal fee, they'll send you a printout showing MSRP & dealer cost for the car itself & all available options.
Not yet they don't, since the car hasn't been released yet. Honda's website will also have that information probably on October 5th.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's funny you mention it... I live in SD too and know someone who bought from that Kearney Mesa dealership. He got an online price quote lower than MSRP and took it in and asked if they could match it.

The dealership had been charging other customers a few thousand over MSRP, and he quietly told the dealer he would not reveal how cheaply he was getting his.

I bought mine from Poway Honda for MSRP in 2004... seems really hard to negotiate in San Diego. I actually think you can get lower prices in LA...

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Of course you can, as long as you are not a Honda dealer yourself. I'm in San Diego as well and I see two Honda dealers in Chula Vista: Fuller and Tipton. Which one was it? I've seen some bad dealers around SD, for example Pacific Honda in Kearny Mesa that charges $2000 markup for a 2005 HCH (!). And that was back in July before the recent gas hike.

Therefore I've been in contact not just with some San Diego dealers but also with Los Angeles ones. Southern California is densely populated; it's foolish in my opinion not to take advantage of that by looking beyond just your own town. At the very least, there's Encinitas, Escondido, Carlsbad, Del Mar, etc.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:36 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by Tim
My 03 HCH was listed at MSRP + $1500. Best I could do was negotiate down to MSRP. I used to sell Acuras back in the early 90's. Yes, dealers are more willing to negotiate toward the end of a month, and certainly at the end of the year (Dec 30, 31) *if* they have quotas to make and they are behind. However, I also observed that if a car was in demand, they'd hold the line for MSRP or better. I expect this 06 to be in demand - gas prices will not help. Regardless of what you pay, there will always be someone who got a better deal. Always. So the question is how badly do you want to knock yourself out over what may amount to $5 - $15/month in car payment. But, to each his/her own.
Sure enough, I was able to negotiate $500 below MRSP on my '03 HCH when I got it BUT then they tagged on mandatory accesories that they wouldn't come off of and they ironically cost.....$500. The accesories were mud flaps, pinstripes (which I am about to remove), and some super wax (yeah right). I did however get 1.9% financing through Honda. It was a Civic only offer and I was surprised that it included the Hybrid model. I don't regret the amount paid at all.

Old 09-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

A dealer I talked to today said that MSRP was going to be around 22,500$. Now maybe he was just trying to get me into the 06 LX they had for 17,500$ with an additional employee pricing discount of 900$. (Its getting to be the end of the month I guess.)

Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ive spoken to my dealer about this. As the new Civics have been coming in. They have seen a $500 increase on invoice over last year, that they will admit to anyway.

With a so called published invoice of around $19.100 on a 05 CVT. That would put the 06 CVT some where around $19.600. So given my dealer will only add $364 to that number and a $50.00 doc fee. That would put us at about $20,014. I know I can get $300 out of them on hold back. So $19,714 looks to be a real number for us. Of course this is just a clac knowing how they do things and subject to change without notice.

So given market and gas prices i think worse case $20k for a price on a 06 hybrid.

They have 06 EX Sedan with Navi at $19,765, I cant see them selling a none navi hybrid for more than that. I could get that car at $19,450.

Im glad I have a dealer that belives in fare pricing and makes a good go off the thug tatics of so many other dealers.

They sell cars all over the nation. Theres a reason why,, yeah know.

This includes dest.

Last edited by psyshack; 09-25-2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: dest. charge
Old 09-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast

What dealer is this? I spoke with a dealer yesterday who quoted me 23,000-23,600 for HCH w/Nav, then he tried selling me on an EX.

Originally Posted by psyshack
Ive spoken to my dealer about this. As the new Civics have been coming in. They have seen a $500 increase on invoice over last year, that they will admit to anyway.

With a so called published invoice of around $19.100 on a 05 CVT. That would put the 06 CVT some where around $19.600. So given my dealer will only add $364 to that number and a $50.00 doc fee. That would put us at about $20,014. I know I can get $300 out of them on hold back. So $19,714 looks to be a real number for us. Of course this is just a clac knowing how they do things and subject to change without notice.

So given market and gas prices i think worse case $20k for a price on a 06 hybrid.

They have 06 EX Sedan with Navi at $19,765, I cant see them selling a none navi hybrid for more than that. I could get that car at $19,450.

Im glad I have a dealer that belives in fare pricing and makes a good go off the thug tatics of so many other dealers.

They sell cars all over the nation. Theres a reason why,, yeah know.

This includes dest.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Went to my dealer yesterday and ordered a new 06 HCH wih NAV system to be delivered the first week in January. We wrote in the order price will by MSRP.
He said he will get back to me when MSRP prices come out. We estimate cost will be close to $23K with Navigation.

Interesting thing they didn't even have to require a deposit, and at this point aren't too worried about a supply not meeting demand and I was first person to order an 06 HCH.

They did have a brochure which enabled me to pick colors. I picked the Metallic Pearl which is only comes with Hybrids.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:19 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Dealer very adept at pricing-breakeven close to 100,000 miles.

Dealers are much better at pricing and selling product than most folks are at buying it.
The breakeven(gas price wise-ignore everything else) is about 100,000 miles if you have the choice between a Hybrid Civic-or Prius and an Accord.At $3/gal and a $3000 price difference(an Accord LX sedan can be easily bought for $20000-the Civic Hybrid maybe $23000-the Prius is maybe $24000+(with airbags).It will take 90,000 miles to break even-assuming 30 mpg vs 45 mpg).This assumes that you have the relatively simple choice-one or the other,and assuming your current vehicle is "done" and you need a new one.This isn't the usual situation.
The usual situation is more like this.You have a vehicle-maybe an accord,Corolla,Prizm.Camry that has 50,000 miles on it and is currently getting maybe 22.5 mpg average.You will get very,very little for this vehicle-maybe $12000 and that is being generous.Your price difference(between a $24000 Hybrid) is now $12000.The breakeven is now $12000/3 + X/45=X/22.5 -Breakeven-gasoline wise-is now 180,000 miles.Now this is ignoring the fact that you now have a vehicle with zero miles on the odometer,so it will be good for 50000 more miles.Depreciation on a $20000 vehicle is maybe 15 cents a mile-or $7500?.This should drop the breakeven to close to 100,000 miles once again,but you will have to put at least $12000 out of pocket(waaay more if you have a Corolla,any Ford-Chevy-Dodge-big SUV etc)
Dealers are clever.Breakeven is close to expected life expectancy of the vehicle(or at least how long you will keep it-100,000 miles).
Now most folks here will do the arithmetic,and be fully aware of this.Many won't and will just look at gas prices and mpg.Dealers will eat them alive,and in a panic they will drive up the demand for Hybrids.You folks will get them at the best possible prices-maybe MSRP and change-they are the folks who are paying-and have paid-$5000 over MSRP-a lot of $30,000 Prius were sold-and plenty of $3000+MSRP Prius and Civic H's will be sold.
Right now $$ wise,it is a draw-100,000 mile breakeven.
Now many-most-folks here have concerns for CO2 output,and the Hybrids pay off on that immediately.Really hard to price what that is worth.Thanks.Charlie

Quick Reply: Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands