Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

I have e-mailed a few dealers around inquiring about the 06 HCH pricing and availability, seeing if I can negotiate price and place an order for one. Well the response I have been getting is MSRP is not available yet and that they are getting very few in stock so I should put a deposit down on it now. When price is mentioned they are saying "Well, we are getting MSRP on the gas only models so we will probably only take MSRP on the Hybrid". Does this sound right?

Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Hi Aj2086:

___Why not wait until they are out and then start looking for dealerships willing to bargain for a post Jan. 1 delivery date? If I owned a Honda dealership, MSRP and load the HCH to the 9’s with all the extra garbage would be the way they would head out the door to begin with. A profit center of course On January 15th when its 4 degrees F outside, 9” of snow on the ground, the dealership has had 4 customers all day balking at the Ridgeline’s 16/21 EPA rating, and no buyers of anything over the last 3, then you will be able to do something on the purchase price … hopefully? Except the Tax credit might skew your ability to bargain on the HCH even under those circumstances

___You really should go visit a small dealership of any type when it is bitter cold and snowing sometime. You would be surprised to see all the salesman and managers standing around with absolutely nothing to do and what they will do for your business … $100.00 is better then $0.00 in my book.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

The prime date to buy one of these *might* be on Dec 31 - dealers like to count the sale against y/e numbers and have been shown to be willing to deal on this date; if you can somehow delay taking 'delivery' until Jan 1 for tax purposes, it's a double victory.

What you'll give up is being able to order the car to your spec (you'll have to take what's on the lot). But some negotiation (like, "I'll take that Navi car in the color I don't like with the crappy <name color> interior if you price it at non-Navi price, plus half of your holdback) may net you a sweet deal at EOY ?

Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reynolds
The prime date to buy one of these *might* be on Dec 31 - dealers like to count the sale against y/e numbers and have been shown to be willing to deal on this date; if you can somehow delay taking 'delivery' until Jan 1 for tax purposes, it's a double victory.

What you'll give up is being able to order the car to your spec (you'll have to take what's on the lot). But some negotiation (like, "I'll take that Navi car in the color I don't like with the crappy <name color> interior if you price it at non-Navi price, plus half of your holdback) may net you a sweet deal at EOY ?
I suspect your right but I might venture a guess that November might be sweeter assuming they have cars. By then, everyone will be waiting for Jan 1 and the "tax deal" and they might not be selling many cars. If you can get $1,500 in a reduced cost or greater trade in, it's the same deal as the tax credit (you'll get about $500 from the deduction). Plus you know you won't be able to deal after January because everyone knows you'll be getting an additional $2,000 handout from the government.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Energy Independence!

Well, it could be worse.
On the Prius, you have to pay MSRP plus x thousand additional dollars.

Laws of supply and demand, I guess.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aj2086
I have e-mailed a few dealers around inquiring about the 06 HCH pricing and availability, seeing if I can negotiate price and place an order for one. Well the response I have been getting is MSRP is not available yet and that they are getting very few in stock so I should put a deposit down on it now. When price is mentioned they are saying "Well, we are getting MSRP on the gas only models so we will probably only take MSRP on the Hybrid". Does this sound right?
That's the best I could do is msrp. So, yes I think this sounds right for now. I'm picking mine up Jan 2006. I'll be checking when the time gets closer to be certain no other dealers will do substantially better. I certainly won't kill the deal for a couple hundred dollars.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Originally Posted by aj2086
If you have seen any of my posts on the Hybrid Civic Forum you would have my opinion, I have already Put a (Deposit) down and ordered a HCH the way I wanted it and I would suggest that anyone else that really wants one of these vehicles does the same thing because I don't see the Price of Gas going down with this latest news of the next Hurricane coming into Houston and the news is already talking about $4.00 Per Gallon gas. so; you can bet that the demand for the 06 HCH is going to be high to say the least.

Remember; Honda is only projected to produce 28,000 for the year 2006 total, thats not alot of vehicles for the whole United States.

I suggest deposit now and pick the HCH you want and laugh at the ones that wait and can't find a HCH to buy less than MSRP PLUS $1,000 To $2,500 Added on to the sticker because of customer demand.

It's going to happen.

HTH

Terry

Old 09-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

just wanted to add my .02

talked to a local dealer and they said MSRP only, no mark-ups, but no "deals" either. they usally add a protection package/pinstripes which retails for about 650 dollars, actual cost is maybe 75 dollars! told them i didn't want or if the car had it installed, i wasn't paying for it! also they aren't doing waiting lists or deposits at that particular dealership either. they have my name and said i'd be one of the first they call when the 06 HCH's come in.

dealership is in Chula Vista, Ca. not sure if i can say the name on here...

Old 09-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast

I have an appointment tomorrow and am going to order an HCH to be delivered in 2006. The sales man thought I was crazy at first to order this early but then admitted he wasn't up to date on the new tax law.

Question: What do I need to be weary of by ordering in advance? Can they add on some extra costs when the car gets there and screw me? Is there some details I should specify in a written contract to protect myself?

He did mention at this point, price will be MSRP. From previous threads, this doesn't sound like a bad deal. Wish I new what MSRP was, but I'm assuming estimates of $21,500 (including delivery cost) is real.

Any tips on ordering?

Old 09-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

My 03 HCH was listed at MSRP + $1500. Best I could do was negotiate down to MSRP. I used to sell Acuras back in the early 90's. Yes, dealers are more willing to negotiate toward the end of a month, and certainly at the end of the year (Dec 30, 31) *if* they have quotas to make and they are behind. However, I also observed that if a car was in demand, they'd hold the line for MSRP or better. I expect this 06 to be in demand - gas prices will not help. Regardless of what you pay, there will always be someone who got a better deal. Always. So the question is how badly do you want to knock yourself out over what may amount to $5 - $15/month in car payment. But, to each his/her own.

Quick Reply: Paying MSRP on '06 Civic Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands