One problem with driving an HCH ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default One problem with driving an HCH ...

One problem with driving my HCH CVT that I just encountered, is that it absolutely spoils you when you need to evaluate other non-hybrid cars.

I recently have needed to purchase a new car for my daughter who is back from college. I was looking at used 1998-2000 Honda Civics; and in comparison, these non-hybrid cars are much louder and seem to have to work a lot harder to accomplish the same things as my HCH, that I was ready to abandon the whole idea.

My first reaction was that these cars had something wrong with them. I had to drive three different immaculate non-hybrid Civics in order to erase the memory of my HCH, so that I could reasonably compare these non-hybrid Civics against each other. I even had to throw a brand-new Civic into the mix, so that I could re-orient myself to driving a 100% ICE automobile.

And don't get me going about just starting a non-hybrid car these days. I'm so used to just turning the key to the right and immediately letting go, that whenever I try to start a regular car, it always takes me two or three times to get it right. Quite embarrassing actually, I feel like I'm in driving school again.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: One problem with driving an HCH ...

Isn't that fantastic?

Now we just have to convince several million other drivers. Should we start handing out numbers?

Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM

"Now we just have to convince several million other drivers."

So far I'm claiming two close colleagues at work (both of whom purchased HCHs) and one other friend (who purchased a Prius) among those whom I have significantly helped convince. And one other is definitely in the queue.

One bite at a time, I guess that's how we have to eat this elephant. (Although that analogy has never worked for me, having never eaten any elephant, at least not that I'm aware of).

Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Coyote,

I agree, my partner has a 2005 Ford Escape and I always have to turn the key a couple of times to get it to kick over. When I come to a stop, I expect it to shut off and then think somthing is wrong, then remember it is a NON-Hybrid.

I can never go back!

Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I get the same sickening feeling every time I hit the brakes in my Colt. All I can think about is the energy being wasted, and my brake pads grinding away in a effort to stop my car from moving. It really sucks driving a conventional car after getting used to a smooth, efficient hybrid.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Agreed to all. The hybrid spoils you in so many ways besides just mpgs.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Schwa
I get the same sickening feeling every time I hit the brakes in my Colt. All I can think about is the energy being wasted, and my brake pads grinding away in a effort to stop my car from moving. It really sucks driving a conventional car after getting used to a smooth, efficient hybrid.
Agree with you on everything but I also get a sick feeling when I press on the gas of my wife's Tahoe..agghhh a SUV. I have told her never again, next time we'll check out a hybrid SUV, they don't get the mileage I get in my HCH but it's alot better than we get in in the Tahoe!Kevin

Old 06-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

That is totally true. I had to switch vehicle's with my dad a few weeks ago (he was out of town, and his truck needed inspected) and it was really strange. The first weird thing was the phantom clutch. I've always done that. It is sort of like walking up stairs and then taking an extra step even though there isn't one there. Then when I turned the key it didn't start right away. I'm so used to that instant start that I forgot what it was like to get one of these primitative 100% ICE vehicles on. It was so loud, too, and it didn't turn off when I came to stops. I really don't understand this "ancient technology" that early man used for transportation. The worst thing of all, I think, was not knowing what my mileage was. It was like 40 miles of pure torture for me.

The funny thing is that when I met up with my dad a few days later he said he was confused as hell. He kept thinking that the car was stalling out on him at stops and he wasn't sure if he started (he is hard of hearing).

Old 06-30-2005, 02:19 PM

You should have told him to keep the econ button off