One big electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default One big electrical problem

Well one thing is clear about this car. When you have an electrical problem in this car you are in deep trouble.

The other day (Tuesday) my wife came home with the car and said the left turn signal stopped working. I went out to check it out and there were no lights on the left side. In a conventional car, you get a fast clicking when a light goes out (I think because of the resistance in the circuit). With this car, nothing. The right worked ok but I had no lights when I turned on the parking lights and lost one of four stop lights. I called the dealer and was told bring it in Friday.

Wednesday, I had to take the car out for a short trip. The right side turn signal stopped working and I lost all the stop lights. When I turned off the ICE at the store and tried to restart the engine I couldn’t get the gear shift out off park. I had to pop out the little circle plug next to the shifter and push a small pair of tweezers in the slot to release it from park.

Today I checked and the only lights working were the headlights. I decide to take the car in today rather than wait an extra day and have something else go wrong. But wouldn’t you know it. When I drove the car to the dealers I realized my stopping distance had increased. Well, looking at the instrument panel, I could see I had no regenerative breaking. I would get power assist when starting but nothing happened when I hit the breaks.

Well I made it to the dealer without anything else going wrong (that I know of) and left it in his fine hands. We shall see what this turns out to be. Should be covered under the warranty. I just hope it’s not one of those things that take forever to find and fix.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: One big electrical problem

Originally Posted by CanToo
Well one thing is clear about this car. When you have an electrical problem in this car you are in deep trouble.

The other day (Tuesday) my wife came home with the car and said the left turn signal stopped working. I went out to check it out and there were no lights on the left side. In a conventional car, you get a fast clicking when a light goes out (I think because of the resistance in the circuit). With this car, nothing. The right worked ok but I had no lights when I turned on the parking lights and lost one of four stop lights. I called the dealer and was told bring it in Friday.

Wednesday, I had to take the car out for a short trip. The right side turn signal stopped working and I lost all the stop lights. When I turned off the ICE at the store and tried to restart the engine I couldn’t get the gear shift out off park. I had to pop out the little circle plug next to the shifter and push a small pair of tweezers in the slot to release it from park.

Today I checked and the only lights working were the headlights. I decide to take the car in today rather than wait an extra day and have something else go wrong. But wouldn’t you know it. When I drove the car to the dealers I realized my stopping distance had increased. Well, looking at the instrument panel, I could see I had no regenerative breaking. I would get power assist when starting but nothing happened when I hit the breaks.

Well I made it to the dealer without anything else going wrong (that I know of) and left it in his fine hands. We shall see what this turns out to be. Should be covered under the warranty. I just hope it’s not one of those things that take forever to find and fix.
I don't think the two are connected. The regen braking can be disabled for a lot of very normal reasons that have nothing to do with an electrical problem... all the turn signals etc are on the 12V system... regen is on the 330V system... two different systems. There might be a connection between the two issues... but my guess would be that there isn't.

I'd guess your regen was out because the battery was too hot to regen, the battery was undergoing a maintenance cycle, your battery was at full charge, or any of a number of other reasons regen might not occur when braking.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

These FEH/MMH use Ford's Smart Juction Box which is a processor controlled power distribution center that performs several futions, one of them is turnsignals. This system IS NOT UNIQUE to the hybrids. It sounds like your turnsignal problem might be in the SJB. This also handels the brake pedal position switch, which if the ABS was not receiving this signal you MIGHT not have regen.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
These FEH/MMH use Ford's Smart Juction Box which is a processor controlled power distribution center that performs several futions, one of them is turnsignals. This system IS NOT UNIQUE to the hybrids. It sounds like your turnsignal problem might be in the SJB. This also handels the brake pedal position switch, which if the ABS was not receiving this signal you MIGHT not have regen.
Hadn't thought of that connection. Very good possibility Mark!

Gee I wonder if thats why you are a technician and I'm not

Last edited by TeeSter; 08-24-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
It sounds like your turnsignal problem might be in the SJB. This also handels the brake pedal position switch, which if the ABS was not receiving this signal you MIGHT not have regen.
When this started I would hear a click everytime I stepped on the the break. When I was driving to the dealer I noticed that click was gone. I thought this was why I couldn't get the gear shifter out of park.

As a side note, the dealer did not work on the car saying the hybrid tech could not get to it today. ????? Oh well, they sent me home with a Ford Focus because they would not have a chance to work on it until Monday. Wish they had a MKZ.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The sifter lockout uses the brake pedal position switch to allow a solenoid to energize to unlock the shifter. I have seen allot of BPP switches go bad however that should have NOTHING to do with the turn signals. Except the SJB also handles the shifter lock out. This could be something as simple as a bad ground, poor conection or a bad SJB.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

Well just to finish this up. The junction box on the DrawTite wire harness shorted and melted. (Smelled pretty good too). This blew all the fuses in the brake/stop light circuit. No lights worked and no regen because the brake lights were out. Ford people cut the wiring out of the truck and replaced the fuses. Everything is ok now.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...php?i=2619&c=8

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...php?i=2618&c=8

Last edited by CanToo; 09-01-2007 at 12:06 PM.