My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Being
Exclamation My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

I just got my new 06 Hybrid w/ Navi about 10 days ago, and so far my MPG avg is 28.4 over 120 miles. My last 25 miles, which I have been driving extra conservatively, has been getting only 33.2MPG! I know this is a small sample to go by and the car has yet to be broken in, but isn't this still unusually low for the Hybrid? I've read of people driving out of the dealer's lot with 40+ MPG easily. I didn't get a chance to check my gauge @ 62-63 miles for the 62mile bug, but I'll make sure to keep an eye out @ 124 miles. I really doubt the car has the bug as it's a 02/06 build (according to the date on the door), vin # 11990. What do you guys think? Should I be concerned, and if this is a ongoing problem 500+ miles in, would my dealership do something for me to have it resolved or would I likely be out of luck on this type of issue?

Old 04-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

It's not that low. There are so many things that affect mileage. I drive my 2006 Civic Hybrid a mix of city and highway, probably 70% highway and 30% city. My Mom also has a 2006 Hybrid,but she drives mostly within the small town she lives in. I get better mileage than she does. And the colder it is the mileage goes down. I was getting mid 30's to low forties in winter. But now that it's warmer I've been getting low 40's to low 50's. And your car is really so brand new, just be patient, the mileage will increase! You'll start to get a feel for what helps increase or decrease it even without reading the help tips hereStill read them because they are very helpful

Old 04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

Also, the Service Manager at my dealer told me it was more like 2000 miles break in, and not to get discouraged about mileage if it wasn't as high as I expected. And he was right.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

It is almost never the car (unless a warning light is on), it is always the driver, conditions, etc.

Just be patient, I started at 28 mpg, got up into the 40's soon enough.
Some of the usual suspects include excess cold, excess heat (air conditioning), rain, short trips, terrain, and the big one: driver learning curve. :-)

Old 04-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That sounds like about the kind of mileage I would expect from a car that makes lots and lots of short trips on a cold engine. And if I am to understand that you have gone only 120 miles in 10 days then maybe that's not far from the truth? There are things that you can do beyond driving "conservatively" that might help out. I'm not talking about anything fancy, just doing the best you can to make the most of your driving environment. For example, the best way to drive hills is to pick up a little speed on the way down and then let the car slow down a little on the way up. If you have to deal with a lot of stop lights, do your best to time them so that you can carry momentum through at least some of them. Then there are other tricks that apply specifically to hybrids that I don't know too much about, personally. (Most of that has to do with managing the battery state of charge and maximizing the extra goodies that come with the package.)

For now I'd say just keep on driving and see what happens. It ought to do better by itself as it breaks in and you adjust to it.

Enjoy your new car!

Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 PM

theocean,

Some of the people who DRIVE away with that kind of mileage have been on here long BEFORE they get their cars, so they know all the little secrets and techniques to squeeze better mileage out of the car, even though its still breaking in. Furthermore, its not hard to get good gas mileage, you just need a light foot. I averaged about 45-47 mpg on the way home from Davis when I bought the car, and that was with me knowing VERY little about driving techniques. Don't worry, your average will increase. Don't fret just yet.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:04 PM

theocean,
Well, I don't have a lot to add, and agree with everyone here, but high 20's and low 30's does seem strange, especially with the weather a little warmer now. I got 43 mpg my first tank, driving fairly slowly but not using any hypermile techniques.

Are you CERTAIN that the A/C is not operating? Try turning the environment controls to OFF, then turn the fan speed (right ****) a click or two. Push the AC button and the display should say AC OFF. Drive like that for awhile and see if it helps, adjusting only the temperature **** and fan **** for comfort. This darn thing just doesn't do a good job of telling you when AC is on.

Also, drive slowly and avoid rapid starts, and see if that helps. On downhill glides with light pressure on the gas you should be able to get the instantaneous MPG to go to 100. At the very least it should go to 100 with your foot off the gas while coasting downhill. Make sure this all looks normal.

And as has been said here, very short trips (5 miles or less) on a cold engine will kill your mpg. Try resetting your Trip B every time you take a trip, and watch what your trip mileage ends up being. You will see how very bad it is during the first few miles.

Is it autostopping like you would expect? Once the engine is warmed up, or even sooner on a warm day when it's been sitting in the sun (70+ degrees), you should get autostop. Also, bumper to bumper traffic can kill mpg.

As also suggested, give it some time and see if it comes around. If it doesn't, write as much about how you drive and how it behaves as possible here - there are lots of people who will help (as you've already seen).

Congratulations on your new purchase!!

Old 04-14-2006, 08:05 PM

Getting a new HCHII 10 days ago with a build date of 2/06 isnt possible in Houston. Are you sure you are the first true owner? ( Sorry to suggest this).

IF so, I feel that with almost no alretation of driving technique, anyone can score about 34-35 on the first tank. This coming from a Volvo driver still on his first tank.

1. Does the auto stop work?

2. Do you coast to a stop when you can?

3. Do you avoid accelrations from stops that increase the speedometer more than 2 MPH at a time?

4. I find the cruise control to be much more efficient than my foot. Are you watching the instantaneous MPG gauge? That thing is key. Do you see the IMA working on the electric side using the white/green assist/charge indicators?

The cruise control can engage at 25 MPH I have found. VERY SMART! Also, if you know any other expreienced drivers of the car in your area have them drive the car and they will be able to tell you instantly if its all good or not.

Last edited by rysa4; 04-14-2006 at 08:10 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

It does sound low. Expecting a 'break in' to happen somewhere down the road isn't really true anymore since the engines are pre broken in at the factory. Even though i live in CA it has been rainy and cold at least for here and i never got below 42 mpg over any trip even if it was stop and go and city only. Apart from anything being wrong with the car check your driving habits to see if that makes a difference - gradual acceleration and coast a bit more into stops, keep a steady speed on highways and try to stay at 65 - 70mph.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 PM

I had an '04 HCH and it had 48.8 mpg when I traded in. The day I got my '06 I was convinced that it sucked. I have had it for 10 days now and have almost 700 miles on it. The Trip A meter I reset when I get gas and I never reset the B. The B is still pretty low 45.4 and the A is at 49.5 with 363 miles. I think that it has a lot to do with getting used to the car and seeing what changes you can make that will help. I also think the break in thing is true (and it is probably as much you as the car) as in my '04 it got significantly better after a few thousand miles.

Quick Reply: My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands