My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Being
Default Re: My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

The weather has been on and off, but for the most part I've been driving in warm conditions since I got the car. I try to accelerate softly and gradually... still getting used to optimizing my technique for utlizing this hybrid. I usually watch the instantaneous MPG meter, allow it to go up towards 100, lightly accelerate and let it drop down a little, then release and let it reach as close to 100 again. For the most part I try to coast as much as possible. Auto-Stop seems to work most of the time, but not always (about 85% of the time?). I'm still getting used to driving the HCHII, but I'm not sure how to work together with the Charge-Assist meter to optimize gas mileage... anyone have any additional tips? Is the Cruise control really that much more effecient and would it help with the gas milegae?

Old 04-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheOcean
Is the Cruise control really that much more effecient and would it help with the gas milegae?
In my '04 which was a manual, it did more harm than good but in the '06, I use it almost always and it is way better than my fancy footwork. Can't hurt to give it a try...

Old 04-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have found that cruise - in combination with any sort of HILLS(?!!) is a disaster on the highway. Perhaps if you're running on a level stretch of road it will work fine. For me in hilly Pennsylvania the cruise is a waste of my time. I get about 3-6 mpg better without it.

Eric

Old 04-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Proud owner HCHII

I agree. Cruise works too hard on hills to maintain your selected speed. I use it around town to avoid speed traps and on runs where you can "cruise" but just switch off as you approach any sort of incline -that is if you are in FE mode.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

There's a cruise control? Wow. I don't use it, either. It varies far too much and gas mileage suffers (~44mpg highway).

Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 AM

The cruise control is considerably more efficient than footwork by quite a long shot. However, the difference between me and the Arizona poster who experience this and others who disagree is the abscence of hills. Houston and Arizona are largely flat.

The mpg meter during cruise control use usually hangs out at 55-60 or even more, amazingly, whereas my foot can't really maintain that consistently.

But Houston is relatively flat as a hill here has a grade of about 10 degrees.

But yes in real hill country the cruise isnt a great idea. It gives about 55 on flat highways for me though over long stretches per that good ole MPG meter.

The other difference might be a software change on how the cruise control is programmed to draw energy or gas when the control is engaged. I notice the VIN numbers for me and Arizona Clyde are quite recent. For me the greater efficiency of the cruise mode is that obvious.

Last edited by rysa4; 04-15-2006 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Extra Verbage
Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JJanney
There's a cruise control? Wow. I don't use it, either. It varies far too much and gas mileage suffers (~44mpg highway).
I think if the ocean got 44 he/she would be quite pleased!!!

Old 04-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've been in my 06 for 10 days now. My first tank ended at 40.5 mpg. I'm around 43 on the second tank, but I have been driving EXTRA cautiously. I've now done two drives to San Diego (100 miles each way)... and a few morning commutes to my office (21 miles in moderate traffic... which has been light recently, thanks to spring break). I've been staying in the 65 mph range... never faster than 70. Very difficult for me, as I used to own the fast lane in my SUV. Now people pass me like I'm standing still.

Overall, I've been a little disappointed. As cautiously as I've been driving, I thought I'd get high 40's. I'll be patient, though!!!

I live in Anaheim Hills... with an emphasis on "hills". I find the hills really kill mileage. With 100 miles accumulated on trip meter A, and 43.0 mpg showing... the one hill up to my place sucked it down to 41.9. Over 1 mpg drop in one stinkin' mile of hill. Of course, I end up going DOWN that hill, too, but I don't get the full 1.1 MPG back.... maybe .4 or .5 is all. Oh well.

I love everything else about my HCH... especially the NAV system!

Old 04-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned
Default The Bad News Instant & Trip MPG Delivers

The more we know, the more to be concerned about. With the instant and trip MPG, these events put a sizable dent in the fuel economy:
  • The necessary acceleration on the freeway ramp
  • The first 2-3 miles in the morning using gas just to warm up the catalytic converter, esp. in cold weather
  • Hill driving
  • Stop-and-go urban traffic
Keep in mind the general public is oblivious to these conditions, and so were we.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Cruise control vs. footwork depends on driving conditions and your skill.

If you are constantly going up and down hills CC is worse then a skilled driver knowing she should let speed drop slightly uphill.

When driving say 60 MPH for long distances of flat terrain CC can be better than any footwork, it prevents your speed from creeping up.

I use CC 90% of the time and have the highest MPG in the 06 HCH database.

Quick Reply: My 06 Civic Hybrid getting horrendous mileage!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands