I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

funny thing was, I was checking out virtually the same car across the street at Honda, but there were a couple BIG differences. Mine is a 05 with 8800 miles, that one was a 03 with 21000 miles, mine was priced at 23, on sale for 21, paid 20 with the warranty and gap thrown in with virtually NO effort ... the other was priced at 20. I think it is still there and maybe you can talk them down a bit, but I was pre-approved and they made me a great deal (in my eyes) to get me to buy it. Maybe it had something to do with Dec sales, maybe lot inventory, maybe both. But I didn't tell them about the other car and its price until AFTER everything was done and I was leaving in my 'new' car. Should have saw the look on the salesman's face. PRICELESS!!!

The color is Shoreline Mist Metallic with Ivory interior. I would almost go for the gray seats if I could get the back ones too. It is already two-tone hehe. Ivory (or as I call it tan) is never my first choice, but it isn't that bad either ... not like the tan is in some of the Cadillacs or is that puke brown? I actually like my friends colors better, he had Galaxy gray with the gray interior. Said there was a lot of them when he bought his, he likes mine better himself, but he is way too hard on cars for me to consider any sort of 'deal' even with about 4k less miles on his (not to mention he paid over 25k).

I understand the accuracy of the guages are off a little. I might stop and top it off soon just to see. I went up a couple tenths to 52.6 tonight and have 160 on the tank. The guage just dropped one line from full. I think I may be able to do much better in the future sometimes when traffic and lights permit it. I found myself able to keep it between 100 and 120 quite a bit more than I expected and it cruises between 60 and 80 relatively easy. I am still learning how to use assist and pedal control. I am still training myself to look far enough ahead to plan properly for lights, stopsigns, hills, and traffic/other cars. I think once I get comfortable and think I get it right, I should find someone who can excel (hehe) at getting mileage and follow them, or take a ride with them and start all over again.

I thought when I first came to this site and tried searching through everything that a benefit for those who are interested and not interactive would be a section with sets of guidelines at seperate levels so people can learn slowly and gradually how to increase the efficiencies of thier vehicles. Maybe start out with a Hybrid and Fuel Economy 101, where you learn about the cars and technologies. The basics of what is happening and why. Learn some very BASIC techniques that once solidified can be built upon in higher levels. Then ... you could have at the highest level a Top Gun of hypermiling. This would be where the experts shine and share thier techniques. Someone like excel would be at home in this spot since he outperforms Hybrids in regular cars and takes Hybrids to a new level (over 92 lmpg in an Insight, correct?). I personally will not go the route of extreme FASing (highway cut-offs, etc), but it is still interesting to learn about and will commend everyone who gets to that level and takes FE that seriously every moment behind the wheel and there may be something that will come up that can help that is usable by a more amatuer driver that is still considered a veteran technique.

Sorry for making this so long so I will just cut it short until next time

Have a great day everyone!!!

Last edited by bluesesshomaru17; 01-02-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Good on ya! I bought my '05 HCH w/6K miles on it a month ago ($19k...no extended warranty, though). Took it from Mesa, AZ to Albuquerque, NM and made just over 50mpg, even with over 100 miles of some pretty steep hills, and averaging 70-75 mph for most of the drive, not too shabby. You should be pretty happy with the acceleration (3 seconds faster 0-60 than the Prius). I use 2nd gear up to 60 mph when I need to get onto the freeway in a hurry, than shift directly to 5th for cruising.

Bill in AZ

Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

bill, the stick sounds like fun, but the CVT does well too. I only did it once, but it definately got out of its own way. The more I drive it, it begins to feel like the IMA is getting more powerful. I couldn't imagine this engine without the assist. It is good you are happy with your car, it is getting excellent mileage, and you got a great price on it too!!! I feel very fortunate for my price, I am surrounded by retirees that moved from up north. No offense to anyone but it creates a certain economical situation. Since they have sold thier houses/property for so much, they don't mind paying above sticker it seems (and for all the extras which makes for good used cars). Housing has more than doubled the past ten years for the same reason. The only real benefit to the area I have found is there are a lot of dealerships within 80 miles (around 30). So when i buy a new car, that will be my bargaining chip.

xcel, sounds interesting, I will have to see what is going on around that time for me. I need a little time to see what is going on around that time, but you definately have my attention and I would like to if I can work it out.

that makes me think ... GreenHybrid is a decent sized group. Maybe there could be small local meetings and a large one or two throughout the year. I personally couldn't go often, except for holidays and vacation, I work quite often and long shifts.

Take care everyone!