I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

I went with someone last night to help look for a car. I was waiting for the new year (and a raise) to get a 06 HCH. Well, I saw a 05 with low miles and a decent price (paid less than trade-in value with an extended warranty and gap coverage ). It was at a Toyota dealership and the person had been waiting for a Prius that they had ordered, so they just traded it in when thier car arrived the day before. Very smooth ride, I am used to much harsher suspensions. The engine and IMA are very smooth as well, I would say better than the one my friend has with less miles (5k) ... and I am already getting 15-20 mpg more than they are .

I had to change my starting mileage in the database because I didn't fill up the tank until this afternoon when I left the house. I ended my drive tonight with 52.2 mpg, after some traffic lights brought it down from 56.9, total drive from gas station, to store, and back home was around 50 miles. I had accelerated hard once and mildly aggressive a couple times just to check the car out and see how it does and feel what the CVT is like. Was definately interesting and very much like a slipping clutch and now I also know it can get out of its own way for the most part (interstate on-rams are going to be interesting though). I am definately more aggravated by red lights for decreasing my mileage as I had never thought about that before. I am hoping to be able to push to a 60 mpg average, but I think I do too much city driving for that goal but maybe, I still have a lot of learning and practice to tweak my mileage. Other than two very short trips in someone elses 05 HCH CVT as a DD, This is my first time driving a Hybrid vehicle.
I have noticed for me personally, my charge stays around 3/4 to full almost all the time, haven't even come close to half. I find myself accelerating in the 2k-2500 range and that seems like an ample enough rate to not hinder traffic too much.

I am very happy to finally join all of you as a HCH owner and not just an observer. I hope to keep the mileage up to be a contributing member showing that the EPA estimates are realistic and beatable in real life. Take care everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

hover at 2000 rpms for best fuel economy!

Old 12-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Welcome to the fold....

Old 12-31-2005, 09:04 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

Congrats on that New HCH l purchase and it looks like to me that you are going to do just fine in the FE area.

Congrats Again;

Terry

Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 AM
my other car is a FJORD

congrats. mine has just about that mileage, and it's still improving on the FE. you will enjoy it, and it will be interesting to see the difference between the MT and the CVT....

Old 01-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks to all

I am curious to see the difference between the same vehicles with different transmissions as well. I haven't driven perfectly for economy yet nor have I adjusted to tire pressure up at all either. So with those two factors, plus reading the efficiency will continue to increase for the next several thousand miles or more, I am hoping to reach a 60+ lmpg in the future, but reality might not be so kind, or at least until my friends/roommates get thier own vehicle and I don't take us back and for to work and the stores. But being that I had over 50 already including some traffic and parking lot experiences with a few accelerations that were definately not fuel efficient, I believe I will not be too shy of my high hopes.

My goal is to try to get some of the results other members already have had. If not for a whole tank, at least for a few trips at a time. Seeing pictures of 111 mpg was very shocking, but even the 80s seems quite difficult right now. I do want to become part of the 1000+ mile tank club some day. Maybe when I take a trip to Texas to pick up one of my friends stuff they left there when they moved will be a good test. There is a slight chance I will do that this week since we have off, but might wait for an extended weekend or a family member might deliver her stuff later in the year ... I kinda want to go just to play with my new 'toy'.

Even though I am an amateur, I will be teaching what knowledge I have to an unhappy owner. I doubled his tire pressure so that should help quite a bit (had 25 psi all around) and the scary part was ... he never noticed the instant fuel economy bar!!! I was very shocked!!! So those two things alone should help a lot and give him some mild techniques to start out with as well. I am sure with the lead foot, he doesn't lift off the pedal to see how less gas can propel you the same speed at times. He also has close to 5000 miles, so I will tell him he will get better as time goes by as well. I will send him here to search the forums. I will try to keep you updated on his progress (currently getting in the 34mpg range) and my progress (see if I can keep it over 50+mpg!!!).

Take care everyone and have fun until next time!

Old 01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am at 96 miles on the tank and still at 52.2 mpg. 49.9 for 130 miles from when I drove it back from my house on the test drive. Just put the tires up to max pressure tonight and had about a 2 mile drive with the bar pegged at 120 and a couple sessions at 80. Newly paved roads are nice. I never noticed how many inclines and hills are here (need to move back to Kansas ) and I think red lights have sensors for Hybrids so they turn yellow at the worst moment . I was suprised by traffic tonight, it felt like the twilight zone. I was going 5 under the limit which ranged from 35-55 mph on a 4 lane divided hwy and not only did no one pass me, they stayed a good distance behind in single file or was passing others. I was accelerating at 1800-2000k, so definately not break-neck speeds. It makes me want to check my speedometer!!! Too bad it cannot be like that every day.

Looks like I won't be going to Texas, so I won't be able to test my interstate mpg I really wanted to test myself since I had a 50 mpg trip in an overloaded 99 Accord LX sedan auto ... looked like i had lowered the back, the tires were in the wells I would guess about 650 lbs of luggage and items plus 550 lbs of passengers so a little more than 2 tons total!!!

I thought I might have gotten a 80+ tank

Oh well, maybe another time.

I felt smiley happy tonight , I love my car and what it can do!

Old 01-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For those of us who have considered doing the same thing... do you mind telling us how much you paid?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:14 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

I was going to be nosey and ask how much you paid too. At my Honda dealer I saw a dirt colored '03 - CVT - 42,000 miles for $17,997. (They also had a OSBM '06 IN STOCK, probably sold though)

You forgot to tell us what color? Also, remember the HCH MPG readout is normally a bit off - example: mine will say 54.1 mpg but when I calculate it at the pump it'll be 49 mpg. Just the nature of the beast. Great you've pumped up the tires. The weather right now is PERFECT for hypermiling. I've got 370 miles on my HCH's tank right now and it's reading 54.1.

If you got the grey interior and ever ruin the seat covers keep me in mind, I got a new spare set a few months ago just in case anyone ever needed any as they won't fit a '03 and the color is wrong anyway.

Keep us posted how it's turning out for you. On the same trip to TX I normally only get around 41 mpg.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

Originally Posted by zimbop
For those of us who have considered doing the same thing... do you mind telling us how much you paid?
Hi zimbop;

I received this "PM" from bluesesshomaru17 when he had just made the deal and I don't think he would mind me sharing this information with you.

"Beginning Of PM"

hi Terry;

just to give you a heads up on what happened with me and buying a Hybrid. I visited my local Toyota dealership and they had a used 05 HCH with 8830 miles. I ended up buying that one for 20k which was the trade in value for it, and have not only remainder of factory warranty, but also a Toyota (nationwide supported) bumper to bumper 5 yr 100k warranty and gap coverage, and I do believe they said I will be able to get back the state taxes I paid (FL). They had just got it in on a trade (they had a Prius on order and it finally came in) and had enough time to detail it and gave it an oil change (0w-20). Very clean, very smooth, and I have already been in the mid 40's in city traffic. I have read it will get better as time goes by, very happy with it at this level. I am trying to decide how I will drive it (above normal FE vs. extemist hypermiling). I think it will all depend on the day, time, traffic, etc. I find everything so SMOOTH. I can't imagine how much better the 06's are, but I think I like saving around 5k or so and will wait for the next gen of IMA and buy/trade up then (2011?). Maybe a new Insight that gets over 100 lmpg will be possible by then!!! I am very pleased, and happy to finally be a true a member and not just an observer. I am really excited and if I wasn't so tired, I would be practicing my heart out. Now I need to figure out putting myself into the database, I have half a tank of gas and will fill it up tomorrow, don't know if I should wait until then to enter myself. Ok, take care and Happy New Year!!! "End Of PM"

HTH

Terry

Quick Reply: I just bought a 05 HCH with 8860 miles ^__^

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands