How far on Dunlop SPs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How far on Dunlop SPs?

Originally Posted by Harold
You may have the rear upper control arm problem. Are the rear tires noisy? If they are then your tires are cupped and you have neg. camber on the back Honda replaced mine, but I did it before the warranty ran out.
Cheers;

H
My warranty hasn't run out yet, but I do get a vibration at higher speeds (above 80mph.. not that I ever go that fast )

Is there a site where I can see all the TSB's for my car (2008 HCH)?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garydan
My warranty hasn't run out yet, but I do get a vibration at higher speeds (above 80mph.. not that I ever go that fast )

Is there a site where I can see all the TSB's for my car (2008 HCH)?
Try the following to see if your '08 serial # fits:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-001.PDF

Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

The most important item in the TSB is below. Some honda dealers use the old spec. and the tires continue to wear. Ask me how I know

4. Do a four-wheel alignment using the new rear
camber specification listed below:
Rear camber specification range:
- 1.5° to 0° (- 1° 30’ to 0°)
Front toe: 0 mm (+2mm/-2mm)
Rear toe: 2 mm (+2mm/-1mm)

Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

My Dunlop SP's lasted a good 45K miles - I was pleased with their longevity and performance. They still had a decent amount of tread on them but i decided to replace them to improve the ride and handling. I bought the Michelin X (Costco) as it was rated one of the best for having low rolling resistance but i immediately noticed a significant reduction in mileage which hasn't improved much over a year later. If i were to do it again I would stick with the SP's.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I understand some are having great FE out of the Michelin Energy Savers! Are these the X brand? H

Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Michelin X are a decent tire, sold exclusively at Costco, and maybe a few other "club" outlets. My son&hiswife have them: their strong points are "decent" rolling resistance, long tread life and good traction.

I'm a little skeptical of of Michelin tread life claims though, having gotten down to wear bars on (similar) Michelin Harmony at half the claimed tread life. I would say the X is very comparable to the Harmony, as far as high speed feel, treadlife, reputation, yada yada...

The Michelin X is not in the same RR league as the Energy Saver A/S though: I would guesstimate the A/S will give 5% better mileage over the X.

Costco also offers the Bridgestone Ecopia EP20, which happens to be the stock tire on some new Prius, FWIW. They are signif. cheaper than the Michelin Energy Saver A/S, and I suspect very close if not equal for RR. Their tread pattern is a dead ringer for Bridgestone Insignia SE200_02 (came stock on ours). Looking on Tirerack, they appear to only come in 195/65R15, the HCHII size. Put those on and I think you're very close to "stock", both for appearance and RR.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 05-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.