Honda FCX Clarity Unveiled in LA

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Prius geek
Default Re: Honda FCX Clarity Unveiled in LA

Nope, just a completely satisfied Prius owner.

You?

There are SOOOO many better ways to turn our wheels for transport than the past (oil) or the "future" (fool cells). EVs need the same support as gasoline did. Revolutionary change will be required. Something wrong with a better solution that was here 10 years ago (EV1)?

In that respect, yes, it's a personal vendetta. Against the powers of oil. I and everyone on earth have been duped into for too long. Been a great ride but without change from our current way of life, sad times are ahead. And solutions have been here for awhile now...just not the comittment. Just greed to make more money at any cost. You don't even have to beleive any of it. ME? I'm getting the message out to any who will hear. Not everyone will listen. Not everyone will act to change, since so many think the system works fine. That's okay. Some are listening and acting. Lead by example and do the small things that lead to big important change.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

finman;

Please don't be surprised if I tell tell you that we're generally on the same side.

The basic differences between us perhaps lie on HOW go about doing things and providing our "so-called" examples.
I guess much of this also hinges on our own "acquired wisdom", past experiences and how much "we think" we know. Does it not?

Regardless of that, some folks may read your posts with suspicion, especially in a Honda specific forum area... even more so if you are wearing the robe of Prius evangelism. While it may be acceptible and even supported to do so at PriusChat, some of us (more open minded folk) find it less desirable and even annoying in the context of a larger community like GreenHybrid.

If we are to be a stronger and "greener community" we have to accept our differences and really work to turn them into assets, rather than making the old and tired ego trip. What do you think?

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 11-21-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Prius geek

That's okay. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am a bit confused about those who advocate electric only cars, most likely their electric they plug into at home will be produced by coal, oil or nuclear. Some of us may be lucky to have hydroproduced electricy. With fossil or nuclear, pick your poison ,nuclear waste that is harmful for 10000 years or fossil fuel emissions that are at the very least not good or are devasting to the atmoshphere if you beleive in global warming.
Now a fuel cell vehicle hyrogen produced with solar photovoltaic cells , as honda has done, making hydrogen from water to make electric to move your car and waste product is water, how can one object to this process? . I always welcome enlightenment

Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

"Originally Posted by finman
Energy to crack water and extract H2...where and how much? More than just charging a battery...FOUR times, in fact. EVnut.com.

Range is 300 miles, charge in 10 minutes, last 20 years. Renewables can charge these batteries. Tesla Motors.com.

I understand many don't have access to an outlet...many more don't even know what H2 is! Plenty of people can use a plug-in option. Even fewer would be able to fuel at an H2 station. All around you there are electrical outlets. It seems a no-brainer to me. Maybe it IS better to have a more complicated structure, instead of just a plug-in EV (sarcasm).

perhaps you should check outside sources before posting hype from Tesla's own website. "

First of all, no where has it EVER been said that the Roadster goes 300 miles, charge in ten minutes, or last 20 years. This person is confusing it with Pheonix Motor cars, and I have no idea where they got the 300 range from. Go to TeslaMotors.com to see for yourself.

GreenHome asked what's so great about EVs. Well, people always say EVs are dirty because power plants are dirty. Well, just look at the diagram I showed you guys on page two. The only thing wrong with the diagram is that it doesn't show FCVs with regen, so that total kwh might be 26 instead of 23 at the end. Everythng else is very accurate.

The things is fuel cells vehicles, overall, are very inefficient compared to EVs. So if you're gonna produce green electricity, then it's better to use that green electricity for EVs instead of FCVs because since the EV is more efficient, the electricity will be able to power more cars. Even using out somewhat dirty power grid, an EV is still cleaner and more efficient than a gas car. EVs have lower pollution in everything, except this one thing I forgot, and they always produce less GHG except in only one situation, if ALL the electricity come from coal. That is very rare, so overall, all EV emmisions are lower and cleaner. Electricity produced from coal is the problem, and coal is being used less and less everyday, and renewables more and more. In the next fifty years, I'm confident we'll have a pretty clean electrical generation.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Part Time Hybrids

In still worry about the downside of full electric - Limited range on our lives.

Because of the lengthy charge time many of us would be limited by how far we are from home. Even attempting to charge outside of home could be costly because I can't see any locations allowing you to charge without charging you to plug in.

I can see places overcharging in an attempt to make money, and people screaming for yet more government regulation on the price to plug in.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I live in SoCal and I will keep an eye out for these this summer! (although I cannot buy one )
no one can

It is lease only

Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

haha. good point. My bad. I fixed it.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
1 tank at a time ...

Perhaps the most interesting thing about this vehicle (for us HCH drivers) is the new battery technology used to store the regen power:

Honda has developed a compact lithium-ion battery that serves as a supplemental power source in the FCX Clarity.

The battery replaces the ultra-capacitor previously taking up space behind the rear seat. The battery is small enough to fit underneath the rear seat—yet another contributor to the elegant design of the FCX Clarity.

The "2005 FCX" battery looks an awful lot like what we have in the HCH today. This new battery could provide better mileage (weight savings) and greatly improved cargo space if deployed in the next gen HCH.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

According to the USA today article on the Clarity:
"Honda says lithium-ion batteries work well in fuel-cell cars because they are supplemental power sources and can be discharged and recharged within a narrow range. They aren't drained, then fully recharged, in the dramatic cycle that can cause overheating and has slowed their use in electric cars and hybrids."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-clarity_N.htm

So it still doesn't look like we'll see Li-ION batteries for hybrids soon.