Highly impressed and a little dissapointed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I took a trip Monday and drove like a "normal" person with the cruise on at 70 mph. The area is hilly and my 6 cylinder 4 liter truck has trouble maintaining speed going up hill. I figured the HCH would have more trouble being only a 1.3 liter 4 banger, WRONG! The little guy had plenty of power on the road and didn't vary more than one mile an hour. The price was paid in mileage. The car normally gets in the high fifties and I figured that driving 70 mph would lower the mileage down into the EPA highway range of about 51 mpg but driving 70 mph lowered the mileage all the way down to the EPA city range of 46 mpg. I babied it completely on the way back to save the tank.

After the trip I agree with Xcel, the car could get 70 mpg if it was drivin on the highway at 45 mph with no stops. This is not an option for me so my goal is to keep the mileage up around 60.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They've done a few things to the HCH compared to a regular Civic to reduce air resistance...Panels underneath comes to mind but I still consider it an "air plow" to some degree. Guess it is a trade off for "normal car" styling.

Sometimes I wish the front and rear were more aerodynamic with a long, semi-pointed front and rear to cut through. The faster you go, the more pronounced it would be.
Wouldn't that look funny!

We know the fantastic MPG that can be made in many driving environments, as long as it is driven in a certain way, a method to the madness.

Push it and you pay.
Out of curiosity, I wonder what the regular Civics can achieve going 70? (Cruise control on or just gassing it)

I heard rumors of an Australian Prius getting around 80MPG traveling only 35MPH. Bet he was late!

Old 11-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by lakedude@Nov 9th 2004 @ 2:37 PM
driving 70 mph lowered the mileage all the way down to the EPA city range of 46 mpg.
Still better than my "normal" Dodge which would get about 22.

Here's the ideal shape for a car:
http://www.velocityjournal.com/jrnl/1985/vmd8254ov.html
http://www.scottgrundfor.com/concept/1985probe.html
Drag coefficient is 0.14

And a more realistic goal that can be mass-produced (0.19 cd):
http://ev1-club.power.net/archive/030724/1.htm

Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

You live in a "hilly" area lakedude?? C'mon, it's ILLINOIS, for pete's sake, not Tennessee!
I am getting consistant 48-50mpg tanks driving 73mph. I keeep the cruise on for over 50-60 miles at a time.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Cbxtc6:

___I am not exactly sure where Lakedude lives now but it might be down near St. Louis? Anywhere along the Mississippi right of way and you have serous hills. Not mountains mind you but 200 + foot bluffs in some areas. The other item you might be missing is that he is achieving his mileage in a brand new HCH in 40 degree temperatures as of late? It is a brand new car after all. Is it that cold down in TN.?

___On a side note, did you notice you were acknowledged with an addition into the hypermiler list early this morning

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Banned

Advice for hills (it works for my Insight):

Because discharging & then recharging the battery is an inherently inefficient process, it is better to use the power directly from the engine:

- downshift to 3rd when climbing (Second in a CVT)
- upshift to 5th when going downhill (Drive)
- keep the Instant MPG gauge above 70 mpg on flats (lean-burn)

That will keep your battery full, and avoid the waste of charging up later.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I don't live in Illinois. My friend's wedding was in Illinois so I was in Illinois a couple weeks ago and saw Xcel driving his Lil Red Baby but he didn't spot me back. Got too busy with wedding crap to visit, sorry Xcel.

BTW I've got 3 basic mode when driving. Normally I drive for mileage without cruise and downshifting on the uphills. Mode 2 is late for work or otherwise in a hurry mode where I drive for speed, like today. Mode 3 is lazy cruise control mode which is my long trip mode.

Today was fun as it was the first time I've ever driven in late to work mode since getting the HCH and the first time the battery had less than a half charge at the end of the trip. Mileage did not suffer too much from the quick starts. Cruise at 70mph was far worse on mpgs.