Had to stop recording mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Default Re: Had to stop recording mileage!

Wayne, the engine does not shut off until it's at or near normal operating temperature. So he'll be idling. Also the engine runs at much higher revs than normal in order to help reach operating temperature quickly; I notice that accelerating at what is normally 1700 rpm was instead about 3100 when the engine was cold.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned
Default "Severe Operating Conditions"

I know that on short commutes, they recommend changing more frequently (such as 4-mile work commutes). Life is often not fair or ideal, so it's nice to know what happens under adverse conditions.

This thread got me thinking I should enter that 30-mile commute from work crawing 2-3mph on an ice sheet at 25mpg. No telling what other vehicles got, but that's probably exceptional under the conditions.

It's kind of like last year when Curt Shilling pitched injured for the Red Sox and got them to a World Series championship - maybe not his best but done at a critical moment. Ironman triathalons are another one of those adverse circumstances on purpose (swim 2.4 miles, cycle 115 miles, run 26.2 miles in 18 hours )

When people inquire about my Insight I give them a list of mpg under various circumstances - 40mpg under very aggressive driving (or very short commutes) - 80+mpg hypermiling at 50mph on the highway.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 12-31-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I came up with a clever solution. I created a separate "City" profilefor my car so as to preserve the record of how my car used to perform on highway driving, versus how it performs now.

I'm not bitter about the fuel economy. I fully understand that a really short drive with over a dozen traffic lights is NOT the typical hybrid driving situation. On the bright side, I have the perfect drive for an all-electric car, should one be developed in the next few years.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:13 PM

Seems like a reasonable solution. Since both numbers are getting added to the database the numbers as a hole will be the same as if you had one entry.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Hybrid True Believer

[QUOTE=xcel]Hi AshenGrey:

___The separate profile thing is becoming a nightmare imho. I have three valedictorian rated and respected hypermilers pulling this stunt to boost up some numbers and I have no clue as to their motives in doing so? A lifetime mpg is a lifetime mpg, not a city commute, then a highway one, a different work location, etc. … Look at the Ranger P/U. Pulling the 5,000 # Landscape trailer for its work function in the spring/summer/fall months, around town errands year round, and a mostly highway commute when I drive her to get back and forth to work. A lifetime mpg is a lifetime mpg! Please consider your HCH-I’s in a similar light and use the tank notes to tell others what is going on. An aggregate including 2 profiles of the same car does not change a given model’s overall FE in the DB.

Of course, the difference for me is that I won't be adding any more miles/tanks under the original profile. Basically, what I wanted is to maintain a record of how my car performed when I had to play the role of Road Warrior. I've got a government job in law enforcement now, and my drive is just from my house to the courthouse downtown. All new miles will be added to the second profile.