At 859 miles, finally had to stop for gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I finally filled up today after a month and a half. 859.3 miles on 13.25 gallons for 64.85 mpg. The dash showed 70.4, which is about 8% high, which is about the average for my car.

I don't think I did anything different for this tank; right away when I filled it at BP, it seemed different. More pep than usual, and I could hold speed using less gas. Maybe the mixture? This is by far the best tank I've had -- the previous was 61.1 mpg (at the pump).

I almost forgot how you fill one of these things. I did have to take a second to remember how you flip the release lever for the gas lid!

Mark
'03 HCH 5-speed

Old 07-09-2004, 05:03 PM

Wow. I thought my last tank was impressive (662 miles). Now I feel inferior.

MC

Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Buzz70:

___Congrats in the biggest way! You are giving Hot_Georgia_2004 ammo for the Edmunds forum debates.

___I think we discussed this before but you do own the ULEV based HCH and not the SULEV/PZEV version, right? The 13.2 gallons gallon cap of the ULEV based HCH explains it but I wanted to make sure … If you do in fact pilot the ULEV version, you should be able to squeeze in another gallon or two for a real record shattering distance run. Just another 1.5 gallons and you have the Prius II distance record in your sites … Krousdb won’t take a record setting distance run from a HCH sitting down however so expect a battle over the rest of the summer if you do in fact breach his own.

___One of these days, you, Hot_Georgia_2004, and I will have to go for a headlight to taillight run around the states for an all Honda record breaking exclusive. Krousdb and Rick Reese will probably see us somewhere along the way and join in on the fun

___Good Luck with your next tank!

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-09-2004, 06:47 PM

Yes the AT-PZEV, sold in the green states and like I have, only holds 11.9 gallons.
The ULEV sold in the non-green states holds 13.2 gallons.
So it's not fair to compare.

Also, my 04 HCH owners manual says don't run to tank too low.
It can cause the engine to misfire and damage the catalytic converter.

You guys are crazy to run your tanks dry.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:05 PM

Hi Kenny:

___We both know the specs but I wasn’t sure if Buzz70’s HCH was the ULEV although I am sure it is and was per our discussion last month about it.

___As for running your tank dry, every distance record shown by the Prius I, II, HCH, and Insight in the achievement section were completed without running the tanks dry.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-09-2004, 07:24 PM

If they're not running dry, then I'm confused.
These guys are saying they got xxx miles from a tank of gas.
How do they know if they don't run it dry, or dangerously close.
There is no way to know exactly when it will run dry.

Are they just using, say, around 12 of the 13.2 gallons, filling up, and then mathematically computing how far they could have gone on 13.2 gallons if they continued to get the same mileage?

Old 07-09-2004, 07:37 PM

Hi Kenny:

___No, since I know the Insight holds ~ 14.0 gallons with a long tank and I had 109 mpg on the Trip A, I knew I had an ~ 1,526 mile total range. The tank actually can hold another .1 or .2 above that. I have also driven the Insight 173 miles after 2 bars on the fuel gauge and 96 miles after the low fuel light first lit last month with even lower fuel economy so I have a very good idea as to how far she can go. With the above, I was close but not out when I filled her up at 1,523.9 miles. The same with Rick Reece’s Prius I distance record. I know I have ~ 100 miles to go after the low fuel light in the Corolla when I nailed its last tank last month as well. I am not sure how Krousdb or Buzz70 calculated their max range but I am sure they used a similar method to keep from running them dry.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-09-2004, 07:56 PM

Congradulations Mark that's quite an achievement...and a great challenge for myself and others!

This afternoon I gassed up and broke my 60MPG tank barrier.
I was so exited that I pulled the trunk opener instead of pushing the gas door release.
Guess I haven't practiced that maneuver enough.

Be careful you might have to add a gasoline additive to keep it from going stale