Engine Prob after picking up car from Auto Body Shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
Question Engine Prob after picking up car from Auto Body Shop

I need help.
My car got hit on the rear passenger quarter panel. It sat for 2 weeks being repair at a reputiable body shop. They replace the whole panel. After the repairs they detailed the entire car even in the engine bay. I picked it up and drove about 20miles to get home. When I picked it up I noticed the IMA battery was 1/2 charged my mpg were at 37 I figured they just test drove my car to must sure the suspension was all good. The IMA battery charged while going home but my mpg dropped to 28 and my gaslight came on. Late that evening I went to get gas down the street from my house and the car DIED. The Battery IMA and check engine light came on. I was able to start the car and get gas but it idled funny and it cracked over weird it sound like the car wanted to die again. I made it home and unplug the battery for 30 min to reset the car. The battery and IMA light went off after the car charged for the alittle. The check engine light was still on and thru a code P0a3f
Does anyone know what that means?
The insurance company had the body shop tow the car back to their shop and check it out. Their telling me the battery was not charged all the way. Im worried they messed up my car. The engine bay was extra greasy when I picked it up...Do you think they could have sprayed parts in the IMA motor they shouldnt have? OR do you think they didnt connect something back correctly? The insurance company is telling me if I have any other problems and I take it elsewhere they are not liable unless I can prove it was the body shops fault. Any suggestions?
I praying all is well...my car does have 97,000 miles but it is well maintained by a GREAT Honda dealer! It was actually just at the dealer a week before the body shop had it the dealer replaced tires and checked for software updates!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Prob after picking up car from Auto Body Shop

1st guess would be the 12V battery is below required voltage and may not be charging.

2nd guess would be that the auto body shop isn't going to find the issue if it is much more than the above.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

I realize the body shop prob won't be able to find the prob which is why I'm asking and researching. I found out the code is a motor rotor position sensor. Could this have been damaged while they were rpairing or detailing my car?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think anyone is going to be able to specificially answer your question. Did you reset the code?

Hopefully they will work with you on getting it resolved.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't reset the code but the body shop machanic did along with charging the 12v battery. They also did assure me that if it happens again they'll be taking it to Honda. It drove fine and everything seems to to running fine. I'm praying it was just the battery!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Although this document is not for your car the troubleshooting procedure is similar:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0A3F.pdf (68.3 KB, 1026 views)
Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think you're within your rights to tell the insurance company you want an authorized Honda dealership to be doing mechanical diagnosis. Why should a body shop be doing this? I'd suspect their motives involve money, and I'd call them on it.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 05-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

So I had the same problem again this morning and called the body shop instead of the insurance company. They had me take it to Honda! They contacted Honda to be billed for the repairs and put me in another rental.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That sounds more sensible. Hope it works out

Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

I know the dealer will take care of me! I just want my car back the way it was before I got inconvenienced.