Do I want Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do I want Navigation?

the navigation doesn't speak the street names. that is one feature i wish it has along with bluetooth. i got it since it looked nice and intergrated in the dash. but, i find myself looking at the screen saver since i am too lazy to press ok. but, i drive 99% of the time to places i have been with. so, i rarely use the navi. but, it is nice.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by exbauer
but, i find myself looking at the screen saver since i am too lazy to press ok.
I bet you are losing a quarter of an mpg... a true UberMiler would click Shutdown Display and gain the FE!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a HCH-II without navi. I actually like the look of the dash with the navi better than what I consider to be a pretty overly busy headunit in the non-navi, but I just couldn't justify paying for it. I'd used the navigation system in an Acura TSX before, and I'd assume it's the exact same one and wasn't too impressed with it actually.

It all turned out for the best though, because my mom just gave me a Magellan 3140 that she doesn't plan to use anymore since she just bought a Nissan Murano (I just shake my head) that came with navigation in it. Why she didn't keep it for her husband's cars I have no idea.

The Magellan has text-to-speech which I find very helpful, though I feel it is slow to get GPS lock at times (though I don't tend to place it up near the windshield, which is probably the issue, it's size is perfect to sit in the cupholder area - obviously without a cup in it). I've never used any other stand-alone units though, so perhaps they all take a while to get lock.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
HOV lane commuter

Generally, the clearer the view the antenna has to the satellite, the quicker the lock.

I have the 4050 (I actually prefer the 3140 - more compact) and it window-mounts perfectly to the small side window on the driver's side. I just route the cord through the steering wheel groove to the cig-lighter input.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
Generally, the clearer the view the antenna has to the satellite, the quicker the lock.

I have the 4050 (I actually prefer the 3140 - more compact) and it window-mounts perfectly to the small side window on the driver's side. I just route the cord through the steering wheel groove to the cig-lighter input.
That's an option, but I always have my iPod plugged into the front power plug, so I'd rather find some mounting option that allows a discrete cord run from the unit to the power plug in the center arm rest.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Soybean
I'm about to get my HCH II w/ Navigation soon. Am I correct in that the navigation software does NOT speak street names? That's mighty disappointing if true. Even the navigation software that Verizon makes available for its cell phones has text-to-speech for street names. It's not a huge deal, but it does necessitate a glance at the screen to confirm which street you're about to turn onto.

I'm also disappointed the updates cost nearly $200. Maybe for substantial feature upgrades, but just map updates? Crazy.
You are correct. It will say freeway/highway names, but not street names. You can say names to it, though, and it will try to match. Voice navigation is kind of frustrating so I just type it in. Half the time I turn the darn A/C on max or something if I tell it a street it doesn't understand.

With that said, quirks aside, I love my nav. It is my first nav system, so I'm really not the one to get a full review from, but it was worth the $ for me since I am constantly lost.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Originally Posted by zimbop
Not to rain on the navi craze, but I must admit I don't like them. Nav systems do for navigation what spellcheckers do for writing - create bad drivers and bad writers. They seem like a crutch to me, allowing people to not have to learn to get around (or spell correctly). Sure, spellcheckers help people find mistakes, but they're not a substitute for understanding proper spelling and grammar--there's more to writing than correct spelling. Navi systems help you find your way around, but are not a replacement real navigation skills--there's more to navigating than knowing where you are.

Yeah I like electronics, and I love maps, but the combination of the two does not interest me. Plus, the people I know who use navi systems are constantly being misguided through town, taking the worst possible routes. Not to mention the distraction issue of watching a tv screen instead of your driving.

I suppose it would be useful in another city I don't know my way around in, but because I have an explorer's personality, I enjoy doing it with a plain old map. Call me old fashioned, but I like the old way better.

One point in favor of the navi for the HCH in particular is that I believe you have to get the navi option to get the mp3 memory interface, isn't that correct? Others who have it could confirm this... for some that's enough to justify it right there.

Good luck, and congrats for being willing to do the right thing, even if it won't save as much money as you might have hoped. Remember too that gas prices are fluid, they aren't likely to be this low for the duration of your HCH ownership.

Cheers.
Not to rain on the "rainers," but I love my navi, only in my case I bought a portable Garmin Nuvi 360 (identical to the 350 but adds bluetooth cellphone connection). It works great, and as I do travel to several different locations out of town and out of state, it's very helpful. In fact, as much as I wanted built-in navi when I bought my Civic Hybrid II, I'm glad I didn't wait for one with it, as I saved a bundle, and can use the Garmin in both of our cars. Now, if I can only wait until my Blackberry adds not only GPS, which they do have, but also can make a Starbucks Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte, I'll never have to get out of my car to ask for directions, make a call, or get caffeinated!

Aneil

Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mistyz23
You are correct. It will say freeway/highway names, but not street names. You can say names to it, though, and it will try to match. Voice navigation is kind of frustrating so I just type it in. Half the time I turn the darn A/C on max or something if I tell it a street it doesn't understand.
Actually, now that I have the car, I discovered there is a way to get the text-to-speech for street names enabled. You have to set guidance to Max, which causes voice prompts to be given not only at the turn and a quarter mile in advance, but also half a mile in advance. Along with this additional prompt you get street names spoken (at least for streets for which there is at least .5 mile before the turn). So weird and annoying, this forced combination.

But still, there's a huge delay between "In half a mile, make a right turn on...." and the actual street name. Verizon's EZ Navigator software on their cell phones is smoother and more accurate. Oh well. Can't have it all I guess.