Civic Hybrid Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Civic Hybrid Performance

My dealer thinks I'm nuts. When I took my 06 civic hybrid in for it's 1st oil change I commented that it was "lurching" a lot. As a result they replaced the transmission. Now, my MPG never exceeds 35 MPG, regardless of driving conditions. Previously, I would get between 42-47MPG on a regular basis.

I brought this to the dealer's attention and they claimed the computer is off and that the mileage is fine. In addition, I've noticed that my tach nearly redlines when pulling out at a light. I've actually been at 5500 rpm going 35 mph. I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should pursue. Could the two be related? The challange is getting the dealer to take me seriously.

One last observation. I've had a lot of paint discoloration on the hood and front bumper. I'm told this is due to bird droppings and, as such, not covered. Anyone else having paint issues? Thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic Hybrid Performance

Hmmm... time for a new dealer.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

noflash is absolutely right.

Your problems are not normal and I suspect the earlier transmission replacement may have not been necessary at all. Sadly this stuff is symptomatic of dealerships who are behind in their "technician training obligations" and may even be lacking the appropriate resources and materials.

I fear the dealer you are dealing is clearly not willing and able to look at your issue properly. Please do yourself a favor and see another dealership.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yah. Find a new dealer.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

why would someone already replace the transmission within the first oil change...Theres something really wrong here. Is this your first hybrid?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Go over their heads, Honda needs to know about that kind of customer service.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by vbpdaddy
Now, my MPG never exceeds 35 MPG, regardless of driving conditions. Previously, I would get between 42-47MPG on a regular basis.

I brought this to the dealer's attention and they claimed the computer is off and that the mileage is fine.
First - Are you actually CALCULATING your MPG (by dividing actual miles driven by actual gallons used), or are you just going by what the car's display says? Calculate it. Then, if the MPG IS 35 (and your driving habits & conditions have not changed), either the speedometer/odometer is severely off (doubtful) or there is a serious problem with their tranny "repair". You've removed the "computer" from the equation this way.
Another way to check your speedometer/odometer accuracy is to hit the interstate. Note a mile marker, and note your odometer (miles) at the moment you pass this mile marker. Drive until you cross a mile marker 10 miles away, and note your odometer (miles) at the moment you pass this (10 mile away) mile marker. Your odometer should be really close to exactly 10 miles higher.
IF the odometer is significantly off, then maybe the dealer is "sort of" right. Even so, I'd find another shop, because they should ALREADY be repairing your car - finding and curing this issue - whether it's the odometer, the "new" tranny, or the "computer."

Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by vincep5
why would someone already replace the transmission within the first oil change...Theres something really wrong here...
Well, if he change oil only every 300,000 miles, that might be normal.

PM