Do I want Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do I want Navigation?

Zimbop, I respectfully disagree! Our NAVI system talks to us, so there is no distraction. It provides safer driving as it gives enough advance warning to allow you to move into the correct lanes... and does what no map ever did for me... tells me of left or right exits and entrance ramps. Safer, too, than paper maps. I remember the good old days of trying to view a paper map while driving. Not exactly safe!

As for incorrect directions, that's the exception, not the rule. My system almost always chooses the best route (per my preferences) to my destinations. It has goofed a couple of times... but that's a far better success rate than I had with old, outdated paper maps.

True, if you just "zone out" and follow the verbal commands without paying attention, you won't learn the area. Sometimes, that's just fine though (like when I travel through a city I have no intention of returning to!).

The NAVI system provides me with confidence and reduced stress. It also feeds me the info I need so I don't have the distraction of paper maps or looking for which side of the freeway I'll have to exit. Instead, I can concentrate on better driving and watching out for the cars around me who are bad drivers (distracted by cell phones and mp3 players!!!).

Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I always resisted this kind of "junk", but I bought one and LOVE IT

Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Our last five cars have nav and this dates back to the early days of onboard nav.
I'm very 'directional' and still find the nav incredibly useful.
Sure, most of the time it's on the clock display.
But there will be occasions where its a great supplement to the paper output from mapquest e.g.
This is especially so when you're in a hurry.
It's great for exploriing new roads especially in the canyons or remote regions.
It's superb in the evenings where even familiar roads may look unfamiliar after you lost sense of where you are, thanks to conversing with your passengers or just plain lost.
I also use the nav to tell me how far it is or to tell me alternate routes, just for curiosity sakes.

My wife OTOH, well, she uses her nav just to get home sometimes ,

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Not to rain on the navi craze, but I must admit I don't like them. Nav systems do for navigation what spellcheckers do for writing - create bad drivers and bad writers. They seem like a crutch to me, allowing people to not have to learn to get around (or spell correctly). Sure, spellcheckers help people find mistakes, but they're not a substitute for understanding proper spelling and grammar--there's more to writing than correct spelling. Navi systems help you find your way around, but are not a replacement real navigation skills--there's more to navigating than knowing where you are.

Yeah I like electronics, and I love maps, but the combination of the two does not interest me. Plus, the people I know who use navi systems are constantly being misguided through town, taking the worst possible routes. Not to mention the distraction issue of watching a tv screen instead of your driving.

I suppose it would be useful in another city I don't know my way around in, but because I have an explorer's personality, I enjoy doing it with a plain old map. Call me old fashioned, but I like the old way better.

One point in favor of the navi for the HCH in particular is that I believe you have to get the navi option to get the mp3 memory interface, isn't that correct? Others who have it could confirm this... for some that's enough to justify it right there.

Good luck, and congrats for being willing to do the right thing, even if it won't save as much money as you might have hoped. Remember too that gas prices are fluid, they aren't likely to be this low for the duration of your HCH ownership.

Cheers.
I've generally had the same attitude. I've been a pilot for 30 years, instrument rated for much of those years, and have used every form of Nav they make, I think. ADF, VOR, Loran, GPS, radar (in my boat), etc. I'm the kind of guy that reads maps on the toilet But I love the nav unit, plus all the extra features. The abilty to see my elevation, the "tip calculator", the aux plug-in, through which I listen to "The Circuit" podcast (internet poker show).

Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Hybrid Newbie

As navi systems goes, Honda's is good, but actually prefer my Garmin nuvi in another car. Don't forget that the HCH2 with Navi also comes with climate control, which I also like.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

You might want to consider an aftermarket portable navigation device (Tom Tom etc.) because it will be much cheaper, and you can carry it to your other car or a rental car.

I have the HCH2 with nav and I love it. I press a button and say "Go Home" and it plots the route. It tunes down the front speakers when telling me to turn which is nice but frustrating if I am listening to the radio and want to really hear it. You can mute the voice though if you want.

If you want to get somewhere on time, these devices will make it happen. You miss a turn? It replots the route and tells you to turn around if necessary.

Get one.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xoham
You might want to consider an aftermarket portable navigation device (Tom Tom etc.) because it will be much cheaper, and you can carry it to your other car or a rental car.

I have the HCH2 with nav and I love it. I press a button and say "Go Home" and it plots the route. It tunes down the front speakers when telling me to turn which is nice but frustrating if I am listening to the radio and want to really hear it. You can mute the voice though if you want.

If you want to get somewhere on time, these devices will make it happen. You miss a turn? It replots the route and tells you to turn around if necessary.

Get one.
How long will it be before these units use cell connections or bluetooth to communicate with local highway departments to give you warnings of hazards ahead, plotting detour routes and these sorts of features? Now that could get me interested in NAV.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Energy Independence

Some of them are doing the beginnings of that, Zimbop. It's a monthly subscription fee (of course), but some will route traffic jam or accident info into the system, and the software can make use of it to show you the mess you're about to enter in to, or can suggest a detour around said mess. The Civic's cannot do this, BTW.
Other than the monthly fee, I like this concept a great deal. There are many possibilities. Advertising ("exit now for the best burgers ever!") is coming soon, I bet.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 AM
HypoFueler

I bought the HCHII without the $1200 Navi option.

I already had a tennis ball sized Garmin I5 portable gps unit which I ended up "hanging" from the drivers right hand vent - I am happy with this and use it often.

My thoughts were -
- over $1000 was steep for even a really good gps
- worried about map updates and dated display tech 5+ years down the road
- can get "cutting edge" portable gps units on line for $500 and they get better/cheaper every year. I may purchase a new unit in a few years.

So yes, BUY the HCHII - and make sure it has Navi gps (at least a portable one)

Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, the one thing that is missed in this whole conversation is the voice command! Being able to control the radio, ac/heat, defroster, etc by voice is pretty cool! You will find that a lot of dealers are wheeling and dealing on these too. ours had a sticker around 26k with mudflaps and wheel locks and all weather mats and we got it for 23k. I am REALLY happy that Toyota wouldn't budge on the Prius. We ended up with a better car for less!

Quick Reply: Do I want Navigation?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands