Can I play a CD and use NAV simultaneously?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Can I play a CD and use NAV simultaneously?

Silly question, I'm sure, but I'm new at this...

If the Navigation system requires a DVD, does that mean that I cannot use the system and listen to a CD at the same time? Can you use the DVD Nav system and the radio at the same time or do the voice prompts interfere?

Just curious, thanks!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I play a CD and use NAV simultaneously?

You can use them both at the same time. The DVD stays in a different slot than the CD player. The audio from the CD will partially fade out when you are being given navigational directions.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
The audio from the CD will partially fade out when you are being given navigational directions.
Speaking of this feature, has anyone experienced irratic operation of this function? Seems that sometimes the audio system volume is cut significantly at all speakers and the NAVI voice plays over the music... at other times it seems the rear speakers play music at normal volume and the front speakers have NAVI voice. Sometimes the NAVI voice isn't loud enough; at other times it's just right.

Perhaps the system alters how the NAVI speaks based upon music volume?

Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Speaking of this feature, has anyone experienced irratic operation of this function? Seems that sometimes the audio system volume is cut significantly at all speakers and the NAVI voice plays over the music... at other times it seems the rear speakers play music at normal volume and the front speakers have NAVI voice. Sometimes the NAVI voice isn't loud enough; at other times it's just right.

Perhaps the system alters how the NAVI speaks based upon music volume?
I completely disabled the voice directions from the Navi. I find them to be a nuisance even when music is not playing, let alone when I have music on.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What I've noticed to be true is that the NAVI will cut the volume down on the audio in the front speakers (all four of them) and use that to let the NAVI speak. The rear speakers are still on, full blast. This is just a guess, because I've noticed it too, but depending on the frequency range of a CD track or "normalization" volume of an mp3, it sounds too low, too high, or just right. I think thats more of an ear thing than a NAV thing, but thats just my educated guess from what I've experienced.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 PM

What do you think this is ... a car made by Detroit?!? Of couse you can play them both at the same time. I just wish there was a six CD changer instead of the PC slot.