Can I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Default Can I do it?

I'm currently trying for a 700 mile tank. I'm at 615 now and have 4 bars left of fuel. Do you think I'll be able to do the last 85 on the gas I have? Currently I'm getting about 54mpg on the fcd.

I think its going to be real close.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Can I do it?

At the rate you have been going you need less than 2 gallons of gas. You might get an extra gas can and carry gas on board to make sure you don't get stranded. I think you will make it.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:05 PM

I just wish I knew how much gas you have at 4 bars I know its at least 1 gal. I am pretty confident I have 40miles left in the tank. But that;s the extent of my confidence.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think you can make it with four bars. I agree with lakedude though, I would carry around 1 gallon of gas.

Billy

Old 05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

With 4 bars I usually have about 2.5 to 3 gal. left. Kevin

Old 05-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tbaleno:

___Go for it as you will never know unless you try

___The last time I took one of my vehicles down to no gas left was a story in and of itself. It was tank number 4 from the Ranger P/U in November of last year …
11/05/2004: 634 miles on 16.649 gallons = 38.07 mpg. Wild side winds, rain, and our ever present lower temperatures. Took her to the limits of range and actually ran her out of fuel at 57 mph at my normal off ramp. Coasted into the Speedway at just 8 mph after an ~ 3/4 mile coast ;-)
___You do not know what a relief it was knowing I was still traveling 8 mph when I coasted into that gas station!

___I would make sure your CEL charged up just in case as well.

___Not that this matters but an Insight can travel at least 173 miles when down to 2 bars of 20 at maximum FE. With your HCH, I would expect that it is good for maybe 100 miles from 4 bars when driven to its limits. Guess what else is going to happen? You will receive the best FE of your life given the conditions when you are pushing for range like you will tomorrow. Your hypermiler skills will go into “Full Alert Mode” as you see 2 bars drop to 1 and 1 bar drop off to 0. You are going to notice every little movement of the instantaneous, you are going to notice every other car on the road within 3 blocks distance, you will notice every light, every obstacle, and your accelerator will become one with your thoughts. It will not be a relaxing experience but your ability to push your HCH to its limits will be vastly improved from tomorrow forward. I just hope you are not heading directly into that 20 - 25 mph ENE wind and rain predicted for tomorrow morning. Tonight’s ride home against the 22 - 24 mph headwinds was an ordeal in and of itself

___The following might help: O’Hare Hourly Forecast

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-11-2005, 07:19 PM

4 bars should be fine for 85 miles, tbaleno i have aaa membership just in case i run out of gas..might be a good investment.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:58 PM

Xcel, I got 49mpg on the way to work in the rain and coming home I got 50mpg. I travel east/west to work and west/east to home. Wouldn't you know the last legs (it will take two more round trips to get the 85miles) All have rain in the forecast. This proves God hates me Hey, he parted the sea for Moses. You'd think the least he could do is at least keep the wind down and no rain for the next two days when I'm driving .

BTW, as soon as the gas warning light lights up I'll probably pull in for gas if I'm not very close to my goal. I've gone down that low a couple of times. I figure honda wouldn't put a light on to warn you you are low on gas unless they also made it so when it goes on you have time to make it to a close by gas station.

I'll update tomorrow on how the fuel situation goes I'm sure you guys are loving the drama.

"Will he make his goal? Will he run out of gas trying? Will it rain? These answers and more coming in the next installment of "WILL HE MAKE IT!"

Old 05-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tbaleno:

___I am looking forward to your personal attempt with crossed fingers …

___Hey, the low fuel light means you have a hell of a long way to go! The Accord is worth at least 102 miles all the while staring at that little glowing orb in the gauge cluster telling me “Hey stupid, it is time to pull over and get some gas” It was not the most relaxing last 20 + miles but at least I know ~ how far I can push her before I really have to get out and push

___You did check your tire pressures and oil level tonight, right? Just a last minute check to give yourself every advantage …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Talking Re: Can I do it?

I'm getting 54.5 mpg of my FCD with four bars left, but I have 520 miles on this tank. What gives? 620 would be really nice.

Quick Reply: Can I do it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands