Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Agree. Hard to put a $ value on time. I'm just wondering what people are able to get in terms of a premium on the cars if they have the California HOV stickers (no longer available).

Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM
HOV lane commuter

I'm not aware of anyone on this board having sold a stickered vehicle as of yet, thought I have read in the news the same as you: vehicles with stickers are going at a $2k-$4k premium.

Keeping in mind that, at minimum, those stickers are going to be worth (N) min. to you per day, 240 days a year for the next four-and-a-half years, I think you'd need to decide what the value of that amount of time is worth and prepare to pay accordingly. If you bill out your time, say, at $100/hour and you save 40 min. each day ... well that's a $71,000 savings by having the stickers. What's that worth to you?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
I'm not aware of anyone on this board having sold a stickered vehicle as of yet, thought I have read in the news the same as you: vehicles with stickers are going at a $2k-$4k premium.

Keeping in mind that, at minimum, those stickers are going to be worth (N) min. to you per day, 240 days a year for the next four-and-a-half years, I think you'd need to decide what the value of that amount of time is worth and prepare to pay accordingly. If you bill out your time, say, at $100/hour and you save 40 min. each day ... well that's a $71,000 savings by having the stickers. What's that worth to you?
Good point. That's exactly my thinking--there's huge value to me. I'm actually buying a stickered California HCHII from my brother hopefully. I don't know how to fairly compensate him. I know....it's sticky!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Great discussion on perceived premium vs. "true" value... On the flip side of this argument, here's something to mull over:

Like a lot of folks living in Northern CA, I wish I could have taken advantage of buying a car when HOV stickers were available. Unfortunately, the timing/ finances were not right for me at the time. BUT, now that HOV stickers are NOT available, the built in premium on a new HCH has dropped considerably. Enough for me to pick up my new HCH w/ nav for 1800 under MSRP. I'm not sure that deal would have been available for me last year.

So intrinsic value, and premium definatley work both ways

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New / Replacement HOV Lane Stickers!!!!

Funny....this thread started probably two or three years ago. Since then I've been through two hybrids (I'm now on a HCHII).

Recently I had to request replacement HOV lane stickers. What a PITA!

I had to fill out the same form I did years ago, furnish the bad stickers, and submit a repair order from a body shop. Our friends at the DMV waited 4-6 weeks then sent my request back with a question about one of the stickers. Long story short, I resubmitted, got back in that 4 week line and voila.

Today I have my replacement stickers!

A lot of complaining, but those HOV lane stickers are gold!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Can you provide more details as to the circumstances as to why you requested and received the replacement stickers? Are the replacement stickers for a damaged bumper or wrecked vehicle that was replaced?

I also found this info on the DMV website which I did not know:

Effective January 1, 2009, DMV may issue new Clean Air Stickers to ORIGINAL owners of qualifying hybrids purchased to replace hybrids that have been subsequently declared total/loss salvage. Applications for replacement must be filed within six months of the date of total loss/salvage.
Applicants previously denied decals for a replacement vehicle may reapply and have their applications accepted through March 31, 2009.

Last edited by sactoroy; 05-22-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sactoroy
Can you provide more details as to the circumstances as to why you requested and received the replacement stickers? Are the replacement stickers for a damaged bumper or wrecked vehicle that was replaced?

I also found this info on the DMV website which I did not know:

Effective January 1, 2009, DMV may issue new Clean Air Stickers to ORIGINAL owners of qualifying hybrids purchased to replace hybrids that have been subsequently declared total/loss salvage. Applications for replacement must be filed within six months of the date of total loss/salvage.
Applicants previously denied decals for a replacement vehicle may reapply and have their applications accepted through March 31, 2009.
Sure...my car was hit when a lady ran a red light. Needless to say, I needed some body work and consequently had to replace a couple stickers. I've been running in the carpool lane with less than a full set of stickers, but now have them and can drive in their worry-free.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, that helps. FWIW, I only have one sticker on my HCHII, the rear bumper since we bought the car in Nov 06. I feel all the stickers are overkill and take away from the look of the car. The other stickers are in a safe at home and I keep a copy of the stickers in the glove box in case I get pulled over. I drive the Bay Area somewhat regularly and have never had an issue with only one sticker.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sactoroy
Thanks, that helps. FWIW, I only have one sticker on my HCHII, the rear bumper since we bought the car in Nov 06. I feel all the stickers are overkill and take away from the look of the car. The other stickers are in a safe at home and I keep a copy of the stickers in the glove box in case I get pulled over. I drive the Bay Area somewhat regularly and have never had an issue with only one sticker.
Samething happened to me. I was in an accident, rear bumber replaced, sent a copy of the bodyshop paperwork and my $8 to DMV...new stickers in 3 weeks.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default California Drivers: How important is HOV Lane Access to you?

Our California HOV lane access expires ...what at the end of next year. What are you guys going to do?

- Hang on to your car and drive with the 'general public'
- Sell your HCH
- Find a way to carpool or find some other way to access the HOV lane (getting a NGV or something)

Thoughts??

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands