Anyone in AZ received a HOV Plate/Stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone in AZ received a HOV Plate/Stickers?

Well, I finally got a 06 Honda Civic Hybrid Silver w/NAV in Arizona. I asked the dealer about Alt Fuel Plates or HOV sticker but they didn't have a clue. So here is my question. Has anyone in AZ received a new HOV plate?

I printed the following docs for my dealer to attempt to receive plates from the DMV...wish me luck.

AZ Laws 28-2416 & 28-737
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...28&DocType=ARS
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...28&DocType=ARS

Info Guide on ADOT's Website
www.dot.state.az.us/ccpartnerships/PDF/HOVFactSheet.pdf

Old 06-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in AZ received a HOV Plate/Stickers?

It will be interesting to see if you are successful. I did a half hearted attempt at looking for HOV info for hybrids in Arizona. The only thing I found sounded as if it was being considered but not approved.

If you are correct, it would probably save me around half an hour a day or more in commute time.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

Well, no luck. I got the normal plates today. I will attempt to call / email ADOT.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

Hi

Last edited by General_ID; 07-01-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How did you do that? I thought AZ wasn't going to accept it. Please post where you went and how you got them. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Found this link which gives some info:

http://www.azdot.gov/CCPartnerships/...VFactSheet.pdf

Old 07-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Boy, except for "Pending federal approval, automobiles defined as “hybrid vehicles”
under statute may travel in HOV lanes at any time without penalty." it sounds like hybrids should be allowed. Does anyone have the information on the pending federal approval?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

Basically, I think I got lucky. It was a 2hr event at the DMV. Waited an hour, spoke with rep and showed them the documents listed in my original post below, they spoke with another person (supervisor?) and eventually gave me a form to get the vehicle tested at a second facility. I went to the test facility, asked to get my vehicle tested. They said they do not test Hybrids, only cars converted to AF. "We do not test new cars / OEM equipment". They suggested I go back to DMV.

Went back to DMV, waited an hour, spoke with another rep. Gave them the form back, again I showed them the documents listed in my original post below and explained they wouldn't test it because it was OEM, "they don't test new cars". They spoke with another person (supervisor?), asked for $8, reached in the cabinet and gave me the AF plate.

I tried to be extremely courteous and friendly during the entire process. I hope this helps you. I would suggest trying it in person...

Last edited by General_ID; 07-03-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

From the MVD site :

Alternative Fuel

$8.00 initial application fee/ no annual renewal fee. Must be powered by liquefied petroleum gas(LPG, propane), natural gas(CNG/LNG), a blend of 70% alternative fuel and 30% petroleum-based fuel, hydrogen, solar, or electric (excluding golf carts). May be personalized with a maximum of 7 characters.

Also available with a disability symbol.

I may have to try what you did when I get up the motivation. I just hate going to that place - its like torture.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Consider yourself lucky because they should not have issued you that plate. They tried to pass the law before the fed laws were changed and it was denied. I heard they tried passing it again now that the fed laws allowed it, but it got caught up in the committe's.

Gasoline is not an alternative fuel.