Any speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Hypermiler wanna Be
Default Re: Any speeding tickets?

No tickets yet thankfully, but I do have a radar detector in my '06 HCH. I read someone describe hybrids ( at least the Prius and Civic) as "anti-speeding devices". But although I agree they won't break any 0-60 acceleration records, I can comfortably run at 75+mph on the interstate.

The more I drive this little gem, the more I appreciate it. Filled up tonight (after gas jumped 10 cents in my area today), but only took 10 gals and 500 miles on the tank...Not hyper-miler status yet, but if I don't get 50 MPG these days, I am disappointed (mostly in my driving).

Great little car.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My partner did 80-85 most of the way down to and back from Florida last week. We weren't stopped. Of course, everyone else on I-95 was flying as well, but I also thank our bland brownish-gray paint job.

For the record, he averaged 43mpg, and that's with the AC on 72, carrying about 550 pounds of people, 150 pounds of luggage. For a little over 100 miles, I did manage to get 51.8 (with the same load, but at 60-65mph).

Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have never had a speeding ticket in my hybrid, although I was a pretty slow driver to begin with, so it isn't much of a surprise.

It is sometimes hard not to speed in a highway driving/long road trip/aggressive traffic situation, but that might account for less than 10 % of my driving time. When I do take long interstate highway road trips, and a family member drives my hybrid, they usually go much faster than me, but we have yet to be pulled over. It might be the car, I guess, but I doubt it makes much difference.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

I got my first ticket in the last 5 years in my HCH.

On I-94 in Taylor, Michigan, the day before our Anniversary on the way to Windsor for a nice weekend.

Not really paying attention, doing 78 in a 65, written for 70, just a $95 fine, no points.

The last one I had was in my Durango while pulling a trailer, 72 in a 55, not paying attention again... written for 64, 2 points and $75 fine.

Funny thing is for the last 5 years I've owned a highly modified 500+ HP daily-driven Dodge Stealth... was only stopped ONCE (65 in a 45) and didn't get a ticket. That car goes 0-100 in around 11 seconds and 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and a 1/4 mile in 11.95@119mph... I would make at least 2 100mph runs each week and the car has seen 160 before... and regulary saw 130-140 on a private Road Course.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Speeding tickets???

They'll have to catch me first!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM

No speeding tickets in the hybrid and none expected.

If I get a ticket in my hybrid it's going to be for doing my own pet peeve -- red light running. I caught myself running two red lights today in my hybrid because I improperly judged the light and traffic and really didn't want to lose my momentum. That said, both lights were yellow when I crossed the crosswalk/stop line (but, oops, they were red as I passed underneath the lights. ) I gotta relax and let the MPGs come without becoming my own worst driving nightmare...

Up until September of last year, in 16 years of driving I hadn't ever been pulled over much less written a ticket or anything. Then I got pegged going 43mph in a 30mph in front of a police substation. Traffic flow is always 40+ mph there, and cops will tailgate you if you go 35mph or less, so in my mind that was a 40mph zone and I'd slowed up from 45+mph to the 43mph he gunned me at. I've driven <35mph in that zone ever since, and get passed and tailgated -- in the hybrid or not.

Posted speed limits aren't maximum limits to most people, they're taken as minimums in fact. Highest speed I've ever driven was 85mph in my '92 Corolla, passing of all things a gravel truck (semi trailer) that was spewing debris. Another one was coming down my tailpipe and was about to trap me behind them both; speed limit on the roadway was 70mph and the trucks were cruise controlling at 80+mph.

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-06-2006 at 09:20 PM.