Altering Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Altering Key

My dealer had some "demo" key blanks without the built-in fob.
I had a key made from that and carry it.

It's sole purpose is to unlock the doors if I lock my keys in the car,
since it can't start the engine.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Thank You

Thank you all for the explainations and reminders on how the security works. I forgot that.

I do realize that a seperate key and fob would take up more space than the current key that I have!

I am just finding that the very long key (to me) does not fit in my pants pocket quite as well as a shorter key with a seperate fob does. It is just a preference. Just thought there might be a way to hack it apart.

Thanks for all your answers. I do appreciate it!

Ta,

Old 03-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Let me start by saying I understand your predicament, and to those out there who asked if you were crazy or nuts, I ask them why they seem to have nothing else to carry besides a key the size of a briefcase.

Those of us who carry a lot of keys and don't need unnecessary junk in our pockets would love to have a plain flat metal key. Yes, the key moulding has electronics in there, yes they can be glued to the dashboard if you don't want to carry it around, but then you're left with a pretty small stump of a key. Yes those are anti-theft efforts, but no they are not useful against skilled thieves anyway so they're a total waste. Yes some of you want to carry a remote control for your car everywhere you go, but no some of us DON'T. And yes that key is unreasonably long, it's ripping holes in all my pockets, where none of my other keys have ever done that. There's nearly an inch of shaft sticking out of the keyhole when the key is fully inserted, so there's no excuse for a key that long. That should be an easy fix if they cared.

Unfortunately car manufacturers have all taken to the assumption that their key is the only thing anyone ever has to carry around, so they seem to feel free to make them as huge and cumbersome as they want. You gizmo freaks who can't live with anything that doesn't take batteries can go find whatever electronic crap you want, leave us alone and let us have a regular key for the car.

How's that for a tyrade. ;-)

Last edited by zimbop; 03-18-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Yes those are anti-theft efforts, but no they are not useful against skilled thieves anyway so they're a total waste.
well, the immobilizer system is not a *total* waste. the honda system will prevent your car from being stolen 99% of the time. the one percent that could steal the car isn't probably going to want to spend their time going after a civic.

there is a solution to your problem: use the valet key. it is small and will start the car just fine. only drawback is you can't lock the trunk but it sounds like this is a small concern considering the holes in your pocket. ;-) your honda deal can probably encode a valet type key that also works on the trunk.