Altering Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Altering Key

Hello all,

Is it possible/advisable to unscrew the top black key fob from the ignition key itself in order to make the whole key/fob combination smaller? Is there some way to seperate the two parts to make the key a little smaller and still have both the key and fob function? (Honda Civic II 2006)

It just seems so large to me.

Thanks in advance,

Old 03-16-2006, 04:27 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: Altering Key

Magbrid,

Good question. I've had my '06 HCH for 2 mos, I wondered the same thing. My guess is that they have to be together. Call the service department. Good luck with your new car.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Altering Key

Originally Posted by Magbrid
Hello all,

Is it possible/advisable to unscrew the top black key fob from the ignition key itself in order to make the whole key/fob combination smaller? Is there some way to seperate the two parts to make the key a little smaller and still have both the key and fob function? (Honda Civic II 2006)

It just seems so large to me.

Thanks in advance,

i don't think it is possible nor advisable. the hch ii has an ignition immobilizer that is on by default. the immobilizer prevents the fuel injectors from injecting fuel into the i.c.e. and it prevents the electrical system from supplying power to electric motor to turn the i.c.e. when you stick your coded key into the ignition, a small current passes through the circuity of the key. a random code is checked with the onboard computer to see if the key is genuine. if the code is correct, the red key light on the dash lights up to indicate that the correct code was received and the engine immobilizer is disabled allowing the car to start. then, the key and the car agree on a new random code for the next start. the code is stored in the key and you go on your way. you can find out more about this security feature on honda's site under security features.

cheers,
neil

Old 03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

NOw I think I have heard everything! You've got to be kidding, right?? I think that is one of the best things Honda has done was to combine the Key and the Fob to make it all in one!!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Rarely post anything

You can separate the two halves of the black fob, because there's a battery that needs replacement from time to time. By doing this, you can see the internals. However, I don't think the 'key' portion will separate from the fob. I also wouldn't advise trying to separate the two, because of the immobilizer issue mentioned in the prior post.

I do understand the OP's issue with the keyfob - I too, think it just a little large, relative to the 'key' portion. But I just wish it were 10%-15% smaller - not separate.

My '01 Accord EX-V6 was separate - no big issue, but the two components take up more room in your pocket, when you think about it.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
NOw I think I have heard everything! You've got to be kidding, right?? I think that is one of the best things Honda has done was to combine the Key and the Fob to make it all in one!!
I agree completely. We were just at a service reception as a new owner at the dealership. They talked a great deal about the immobilizer. It works so well that if you lose a key, they can reprogram the others so they work and the lost key won't.

You so don't want to be messing with the key.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder then how is the Valet key working? that one has no chips in it

Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you nuts?

You want two things to carry around instead of one?

Are you nuts?

Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

Neil,
I'm curious. If the key & the HCH generate a new code on every start - How does the other key or the valet key start the car? I haven't been to the security site. This does sound like hi-tech stuff.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
Neil,
I'm curious. If the key & the HCH generate a new code on every start - How does the other key or the valet key start the car? I haven't been to the security site. This does sound like hi-tech stuff.
good question. honda's site doesn't explain this but it does outline the functionality as i describe it. my engineering background tells me that each key is uniquely coded with an identifier and that the powertrain control module (pcm) records the identifier along with its unique rolling passcode. that would mean that pcm has stored 3 codes: the two main keys and the valet key. it also explains how honda can encode a new key or remove an existing key or keys from being recognized (as would be the case if you lost a key).

it is very hi-tech and pretty nifty.

Quick Reply: Altering Key

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands